KTM Duke 390 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about replacing stock cartridges in a 2019 Duke 390 with Andreani inserts.

Duke service manual describes for leg disassembly as fairly simple:
1. Unscrew the top cap
2. Drain the oil
3. Remove the bottom screw under the fork leg
4. Slide the entire cartridge out

The installation manual for the 105/kt7e describes more steps
1. Unscrew the top cap
2. Split the internals to remove the spring (this requires a special tool and, from what I've read, heating up some red loctite)
3. Remove the top part of the internals and the spring
4. Drain the oil
5. Remove the bottom screw under the fork leg
6. Slide the bottom part of the internals out

Both instructions describe installation as more or less the reverse of disassembly.

Why would I need to separate the fork internals and install them in steps? It looks like the Andreani inserts come as a pre-assembled cartridge unit, with the spring installed, and the post-2017 Dukes have cartridges that should come out as a unit as well..

Or are these Andreani instructions for older models (pre-2017), with damper rod stock internals? I've checked the manual for 105/kt2e (for the older Duke 390) and it has the same steps and pictures.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Not sure if you have seen this vdo.
It is the Andreani one and should be the most correct one.
There are different vdo's on the Internet.
I have had it done by the Andreani distributor in Chiang Mai (Sina Moto), I was not present so no experience in the process.
I went back at a later stage to have the springs changed out for weaker ones as the stiff ones that the kit is supplied with was too stiff for me, even et the full unscrewed pre-load it would not reach the sag I needed.
Now it does.
My Duke b.t.w. is the first Gen.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Sorry, you are correct.
Have a look through this thread from the RC forum if you have not already:

This video doesn't show the installation process, it would be different depending on the bike.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Is there anyone with this kit already installed? I'm interested to know if there is space to access the adjustments at the top of the fork caps without the need to remove the handlebar.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I know what you mean. I have been researching Ohlins cartridges/springs. I noticed that the caps reside directly under the handlebars. I think that a modified hex key wrench would do the trick for adjusting the comp/rebound screws if an uncut one wouldn’t fit.

Is there anyone with this kit already installed? I'm interested to know if there is space to access the adjustments at the top of the fork caps without the need to remove the handlebar.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I know what you mean. I have been researching Ohlins cartridges/springs. I noticed that the caps reside directly under the handlebars. I think that a modified hex key wrench would do the trick for adjusting the comp/rebound screws if an uncut one wouldn’t fit.
Yes, the Ohlins fork kit is very low profile and there is still not a lot of room for adjusting the dials. I considered the Andreani before seeing the Ohlins in person but they seem to have a higher profile on the top cap adjusters.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hey Whyzee, I rode a 2017 with Öhlins fork inserts (not sure the kit number). The springs were stiffer and this helped settle the bike under hard braking and through rough coners at lean. The bike also had an Öhlins KT301 rear. I’m actually trying to find out more info on the spring that was fitted to the rear shock. The part number on the spring is 60013-34. I’ll probably have to start a new thread for the rear.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Well I can help you with the item numbers needed for a 2019 as they are a bit different, according to Gary at Ohlins USA.
Front end would be FKS 507 (NIX 30mm cartridge) and no springs are supplied. The spring series required Is 08423-xx, with xx being replaced by your desired spring rate.
Rear end for the Duke is KT801 (STx46 series) and the supplied spring is 61092-41 which is 170mm long and 115 N/mm rate. Gary didn’t/couldn’t come up with any other rates in this spring family for the rear shock, so.....

·
Registered
15 Posts
Thanks Whyzee, i heard a modification may be required to install the fork tubes? Or could I diy install them?

·
Registered
15 Posts
I was thinking DIY also but I’m not sure exactly what the mod is. Just heard it in a quote from the Dealership who had already completed the installation before. I’m sure with a little mechanical skill, it would be possible to figure out during assembly

1 - 14 of 14 Posts