KTM Duke 390 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My current insurance (Hastings Direct) won’t cover my Duke 390 at all with the RBE fitted
RBE doesn’t even increase BHP it only smoothes the engine response at low RPM
I explained all this to them and was on hold for about twenty minutes while they “consulted the underwriter”
Came back with a firm “no”

Can anybody save me a load of time on the phone and recommend me an insurer in the UK who will cover a bike with a tuning/fuelling box fitted?
Thanks!!

·
Registered
801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
But....what if it is examined. At the very least l won’t get paid out, worse l will be liable for any amount of compensation etc

·
Registered
248 Posts
do you have any other 'modifications' like fenda extenda, handguards, top box, rack, tail tidy etc,. are they noted too,
do you ever break the speed limit at all or filter when a solid white line is present, if you do are you worried about getting caught ?
as the item in question is not a performance upgrade in terms of power, you could reasonably argue that the device was making you a safer rider and less likely to crash due to the snatchy throttle response

·
Registered
161 Posts
Expecting common sense from what is after all a business designed to take your money and wriggle out of any fair return ? Big thing at the moment " flood insurance " take your money for years but as soon as you might need to make a claim " sorry you aren't covered " , or they decide / reword the policy doesn't cover that particular instance .

·
Registered
801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I called Bennetts (bike insurance)
They are fine with various items fitted to bikes such as tail tidy, different mirrors, levers, screens etc

But tell them you fitted a “power commander” (they don’t list all the different tuning boxes) and the premium rockets from £85 to £240

·
Registered
801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Spoke with insurance again

They have no option to cover these little boxes that make the bike smoother to ride without increasing the power.

The only listing they can add is “Power Commander/Dynojet” which basically triples the premium.

·
Registered
248 Posts
if they do not have an 'option' for them then they do not need to know about it, they can't charge you extra for something it isn't, just fit it

·
Registered
174 Posts
That is a valid point, unless they have a special "if it's not on our list, you can't install it at all" rule. But if they had that rule, it would probably delegalize like half of all the farkles you could have that they didn't though of.

I think I'd ride with it, and in the rare event that they do in fact inspect your bike after a crash and find it, ask why I haven't reported it, I'd say "I did, but you didn't have a category for this item - after all, this is definitely not a power commander".

·
Registered
1 Posts
It will cost you some additional money. Insuring a car with such kind of tuning is expensive because it is not stock, so it has big chances for breaking. For example, when I insured my car, I had to pay additional money because it is an old car, and also it doesn't have its original engine. I understand why they make such things because they can lose a lot of money if something happens. My modifications aren't cheap, so I understand that paying more money for the insurance is a good solution for the insurance company not to lose money.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts