KTM Duke 390 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Reading between the lines of what I have read and heard I think it is possible that the Duke didn't quite fall within the power to weight ratio required for European/UK driving license regulations. It seems likely that they knocked a couple of horsepower off the output somewhere and we might be able to get that back.

The simplest ways would be
1) Purely electronic in ignition and fuel mapping or rev limiter.
2) Exhaust restriction
3) intake restriction
4) combination of the above.

I have posted elsewhere about unreliable engine rpm/power data and the rev limiter.

Anyone have any facts please?

·
Registered
209 Posts
It MUST be restricted. They claim a 5HP power gain with the akrapovic pipe and a tailored ECU map and that's in the powerparts catalog. I guess the factory map is pretty lean in order to fulfill the A2 license restrictions.

·
Registered
817 Posts
The E.U. Duke is restricted to fit A2 laws, you should be able to have it set to full through KTM's system. In Australia it doesnt get anywhere near out LAMS limits (max 650cc/150Kn) so they just leave it alone, they dont restrict RPM's either.

·
Registered
84 Posts
The E.U. Duke is restricted to fit A2 laws, you should be able to have it set to full through KTM's system. In Australia it doesnt get anywhere near out LAMS limits (max 650cc/150Kn) so they just leave it alone, they dont restrict RPM's either.
No rev limiter at all?

·
Premium Member
1,630 Posts
No rev limiter at all?
We've got a 10,500 rpm limit, don't know where Dan1 got his info from. You can however extend or get rid of the rev limit through ECU tuning.

·
Registered
84 Posts
We've got a 10,500 rpm limit, don't know where Dan1 got his info from. You can however extend or get rid of the rev limit through ECU tuning.
How do you tune Motorcycle ECUs? It is something I would like to get into and would like to raise my limiter to 12,000 rpm.

·
Premium Member
1,630 Posts
How do you tune Motorcycle ECUs? It is something I would like to get into and would like to raise my limiter to 12,000 rpm.
Get a PowerTronic or PCV piggyback ECU, you can raise the rev limit with that.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Is this true of all E.U. (or UK) Dukes 390's? I'm just curious, I've just run mine in as in in for its 1st service on Saturday but its also having the Akrapovic can fitted and ECU re-mapped anyway. Just curious?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Is this true of all E.U. (or UK) Dukes 390's? I'm just curious, I've just run mine in as in in for its 1st service on Saturday but its also having the Akrapovic can fitted and ECU re-mapped anyway. Just curious?
I'm pretty sure the rev limiter on mine is set to 10,500rpm and I've coaxed about 110mph out of it so take from that what you will.

I have a full licence and chose the 390 for reasons other than licence restrictions but I never discussed this with the dealer, I guess I had to send them photocopies of my documents before going to pick it up so they would have seen then that I have a full licence but from my dealings with them, I doubt they'd have given me any horespower for free, they'd have wanted paying to de-restrict it.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Aye, I've also had a full license for over 10 years but I don't need huge power or sportsbikes anymore. The 390 is ideal for me but I was just wondering if they came A2 restricted or whether that was an option when buying. Doesn't matter as I'm having a remap on Saturday so should be "full power". Just my curiosity is all.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts