Right, I had some more time with even more cooling delays so I decided to tackle the front end, which I had planned to do later on which involved taking off the wheels. But oh well.
Cleaned up. Every nook and cranny of the alloy, especially the rectangular pockets right behind the rotor were also cleaned. It was difficult witht he rotor in place but managed it.
Insides of the front fender, before
Front fender got a really good polish. It was ceramic coated along with remainder of the front end, including front alloy, caliper and fork legs.
I took off the rear foot rest, painted them and assembled them back with new Orings, SS washer and cotter pins. Took apart the gear lever and gave the same paint treatment.
At this point, I lost the screws to fix the fan to the radiator. I spent over an hour searching for it and just gave up. I luckily found an alternative I have posted about in my previous posts. But my headaches were not over yet.
I had put in the end can of the exhaust into the bike and left it as is with the fresh rubbers. These new "rubbers" were much much stiffer than the perished remains that were before. This also meant the tab that was welded back did not fit at all. No matter how much shoving I could do, that hole would just not line up.
I finally gave up, took the exhaust out. Went back to the welder, told him to cut the ear and extend it out by another 5mm. This also meant the paint and ceramic coat I had done on the exhaust would also go into the trash. I just wanted to put together the bike for now and worry about cosmetics later. Once I was back, I sanded the area that was welded and did a patch up job with the matte black paint.
Once I got the old dowels out, I put in the new water pump gear and then rest of the pipes. I thought of putting the exhaust on before the radiator as it seemed easier.
So went in the exhaust. Again things did not want to go in and it took me a lot of shaking and cursing before the bend pipe went into the end can. I let go a huge sigh of relief, buttoned up all the nuts and bolts then called it a day. I remembered @1jzsupra
's advice not to let fingers touch the polished exhaust surface. I switched to a new pair of nitrile gloves then proceeded with assembly.
Come next morning, I was excited to finally put everything together and get the bike running. I slapped on the radiator and fan and prepared it for fillup. I went with distilled water + redline water wetter instead of regular coolant, prime reason being I like a pinkish/purple coolant. My PC is running on redline water wetter and car with Glysantin G30 for reference.
The radiator took around 1030ml before the bleed screw started to overflow. I topped up the overflow tank to the max.
I was now very happy - The manual said 1100ml of coolant capacity and I got close to it! I was excited and put the tank cover on. I bolted on everything down to the last screw, then I found one of the rubbers which was mounted from inside of the wings, on the floor. ** the * **
Took off the tank cover and this time I decided to put it on last. By this time I was pretty frustrated again. I cooled down then the hanging headlight irked me off. The insides were all dirty and dusty, the plastics around it were badly faded as well.
So took them all off
Cleaned them all, I realised I missed coating few spots on the forks which were obstructed by the headlight. Promptly finished them all off. Fitted them back on once the coatings cured somewhat.
With the bike prepped for start, I connected the OBD2 adaptor, fired up torque. Started the bike and it seemed to run just fine. I read somewhere about the 15 minute adaptation for idle and thought of letting it idle for 15 minutes. I was facing bad lumpy idle where idle RPM would see saw from 1500 and 2000 RPM. and I had nothing to lose while I use the time to monitor temperatures.
I started with an ambient temperature of 26*C. The temperature touched 95*C and the fans kicked in, they shut down when temp went down to 90. I did some homework on this forum about temperatured whent he fan comes on and off, this seemed to be in line. Fans kicked in again and turned off then the 15 minutes were up. The idle seemed to have somewhat stabilised and I wasn't convinced this worked.
With the 15 minutes of running, the clear pipes started turning golden yellow. I'm glad the yellowing was even and no fingerprints could be found.
Come next morning, the tank cover got a round of polish and fitted on the bike
Finishing touches, the new tool kit goes under the seat. Belly pan was fitted back.
With this, the bike was fully put together