KTM Duke 390 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this morning the spare DNA filter I bought from @640 here on the forum arrived . I let 640 know that it arrived and with his phlegmatic British humour said that I should do dyno tests to compare them . Does anyone really expect me to spend 60 euro on dyno tests to compare air filters ?
I must say I stay well clear from these dyno tests as I believe there is one major problem with it.

This will only embark me on a never ending quest to get more HP out of bike and believe me I don't really need any more sources to get me to spend money on bike mods : @Diploman here is more than enough .

Furthermore ,where I live the max and min temperature difference within the same day is often more than 15 degrees celsius . Meaning that the oxygen rich air when cooler gives the bike more HP immediately where the auto adjusting piggyback ECU like my Dimsport Rapid Bike EVO has no time to adjust when hotter and oxygen poorer air renders the bike less powerful . So Dyno bench power is one thing ... actual day to day power output can vary .

Guess we should fit and intercooler ...

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
Absolutely, Yves! And once you have fitted the intercooler, that is the first step to adding a turbo; and with the turbo you then will have to fit a stunt bar at the rear to prevent wheelies past vertical; then you will need new footpegs...........

·
Premium Member
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Absolutely, Yves! And once you have fitted the intercooler, that is the first step to adding a turbo; and with the turbo you then will have to fit a stunt bar at the rear to prevent wheelies past vertical; then you will need new footpegs...........
STOOOOOP !! It really goes to show that Machiavelli was a diplomat >:D I suggest you change your username to " Il principe "

·
Registered
723 Posts
Does anyone really expect me to spend 60 euro on dyno tests to compare air filters ?
No.

Based on the amount of money you must have spent on (hardly essential if no doubt hugely impressive) brake upgrades I at least half expect you to get your OWN dyno. >:D

Dyno bench power is one thing ... actual day to day power output can vary .
That's just being boringly rational about it.

What we want is an air filter shootout

Just tell me that the DNA aces it by a whopping 0.03bhp and then I can know I support the best team* - YAY ! :D

*while conveniently overlooking the fact that my DNA filter is different to yours......

Reactions: Diploman

·
Premium Member
1,011 Posts
The real question is open or closed lid airbox? ;-)

·
Premium Member
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No.

Based on the amount of money you must have spent on (hardly essential if no doubt hugely impressive) brake upgrades I at least half expect you to get your OWN dyno. >:D

That's just being boringly rational about it.

What we want is an air filter shootout

Just tell me that the DNA aces it by a whopping 0.03bhp and then I can know I support the best team* - YAY ! :D

*while conveniently overlooking the fact that my DNA filter is different to yours......

Dear Alan ,

Even you are right , I implore you to refrain from reminding me what I may have spent on brakes , suspension , engine , safety and a panoply of futile cosmetic upgrades . Worse , more upgrades in the works : the TSS slipper clutch will be with me sometime next week and as I was a little bored the other day I stumbled on a carbon chain guard made in Hull on Ebay and could not stop myself of clicking on the "buy now " button . Lately I have been fooling myself by justifying purchases in GBP as the exchange rate is a little better what it used to be . 0:)

PS: Yes , I do have my own dyno and sitting on it as I'm writing this .

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
It's not for nothing that Chad Wells is widely considered the foremost 390 tuner in the NA region. He knows whereof he speaks.

Reactions: bahawton

·
Premium Member
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It's not for nothing that Chad Wells is widely considered the foremost 390 tuner in the NA region. He knows whereof he speaks.
They have a pretty nice piston and cams kit for the duke 390 on offer . Stumbled upon that when shopping for the Yoyodyne slipper clutch : They have a very competitive price for that clutch . I sent 2 mails to inquire about shipping manifests and invoicing but never got a reply from them .

·
Registered
675 Posts
They have a pretty nice piston and cams kit for the duke 390 on offer . Stumbled upon that when shopping for the Yoyodyne slipper clutch : They have a very competitive price for that clutch . I sent 2 mails to inquire about shipping manifests and invoicing but never got a reply from them .
They're normally very responsive. Chad recently took a vacation with his wife who's the parts manager while the online parts guy (Cody) was on his honeymoon so they might be playing catch-up. And no, I'm not a stalker, we're friends on FB so ; )

·
Premium Member
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
They're normally very responsive. Chad recently took a vacation with his wife who's the parts manager while the online parts guy (Cody) was on his honeymoon so they might be playing catch-up. And no, I'm not a stalker, we're friends on FB so ; )
That could very well explain the lack of response . Anyway , I have since pulled the trigger on the TSS ( original EU version of that slipper clutch ) from a Spanish based distributor . Did receive a mail yesterday saying the part was on back order and would take a couple more days to get to me than initially announced : However they will throw in the clutch cover gasket as some sort of compensation . Sure big deal .. at 5,95 + VAT
:)

·
Registered
170 Posts
Yes, opened up the air box and installed K+N. cleaned up the intake runner. Thinner head gasket, NGK plug, ECU. That's it, stock exhaust. Really a lot smoother and my gas mileage went up. I didn't expect a gas mileage increase, but I guess it makes sense.

·
Premium Member
1,630 Posts
Yes, opened up the air box and installed K+N. cleaned up the intake runner. Thinner head gasket, NGK plug, ECU. That's it, stock exhaust. Really a lot smoother and my gas mileage went up. I didn't expect a gas mileage increase, but I guess it makes sense.
Pics? Details?

·
Premium Member
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
After reading the posts made by Chad Wells on the RC forum about the air-box volume being sensitive . Chad claims to have a solution which he offers only to his racers and is not willing to share this with the general public for this time . Completely understandable as this man has a business to run and charity is not your ideal business partner in general .
If we read between the lines ; It has to do with an air filter being too close to the velocity stack creating undesirable turbulences which would annul the benefits from a high flow filter such as K&N / DNA ( looking at the DNA filter structure this would be even the worst one to have )

So either this can be helped by lifting / moving the filter further away from the the intake and velocity stack or .. Chad has created a TVS "Tuned Velocity Stack" . These things are readily available for the bigger KTM and obviously other make's engines from Rottweilerperformance amongst other .

Lifting the K&N up and hence further away from the intake is fairly easy .. I just had a quick go at it by slightly altering my original air-box lid and simply turning the K&N upside down . I can not see anything within the K&N's structure so that the filtering capabilities are any different one way or the other . I haven't started the engine as the K&N filter I have is used and just finished cleaning it . I'd rather buy a BNIB would I decide to use it that way . There is enough clearance under the seat to allow a good air intake .. just hoping that Chad would chime in and give us a hint ...

Attachments

·
Registered
675 Posts
I'll bet that's the mod that Chad was hinting at Yves.

Quick note on using a thin head gasket- Don't do it unless you go with the full motor package. I've been experiencing detonation after replacing the OEM gasket and Chad said a couple other people have reported the same problem. I've reduced timing in some areas of the PCV map to correct the problem but it still pings occasionally.

·
Premium Member
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'll bet that's the mod that Chad was hinting at Yves.

Quick note on using a thin head gasket- Don't do it unless you go with the full motor package. I've been experiencing detonation after replacing the OEM gasket and Chad said a couple other people have reported the same problem. I've reduced timing in some areas of the PCV map to correct the problem but it still pings occasionally.
Indeed , I wouldn't just go for the simpler / economical engine upgrades : Either the full engine kit as offered by Chad ( KTMperformance ) or leave it as it is . Yes , is is a 2 grant job :crying:

1 X High Compression Piston Kit
1 X Thin Head Gasket Kit
1 X Performance Spark Plug
1 X Timing Chain Tensioner
2 X Performance Cam
1 X Valve spring kit
1 X Power Commander V With Map
1 X K&N Air filter
4 X Stock Headbolt
1 X Bigger Injector
1 X Air Filter Lid

1 - 20 of 46 Posts