KTM Duke 390 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having the kickstand sensor issue on my 2020 Duke. Since I have no actual KTM dealers around I am thinking about just taking the sensor wires and stripping them to put behind the magnet (ie. making the sensor closer). Should I try this or just shell out for a new kickstand assembly. If the project failed it would just mean also adding a portion of the wiring harness to my cart.
I do not know much on the electromagnetics involved with the kickstand magnetic sensor so maybe there is someone that has put some thought into a permanent "fix" to the kickstand sensor issue.

·
Super Moderator
1,626 Posts
Do a search on the forum on 'side-stand' sensor.
There are solutions to solve this issue.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I think this happens because gradually the top of the stand bends. You need to strip it, and fix it with the help of a jaw vice. But I am not sure of this

Sent from my A80Pro using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Try cleaning the magnet on the kick stand or just super glue a magnet to the sensor I've had to do that while I waited for a new one in the mail. Just be cautious cause it will start now with kickstand down if your use to that safety feature. You can order a new sensor and stand for less than 20.00 USD.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I tightened the bolt of the kickstand and surprisingly it solved the issue. I am not using loctite until I know the issue is the slow loosening of the bolts due to vibration. I tightened it to 18 lbs torque

·
Registered
482 Posts
I am not using loctite until I know the issue is the slow loosening of the bolts due to vibration. I tightened it to 18 lbs torque
BUT ALSO
I tightened the bolt of the kickstand and surprisingly it solved the issue.
Not sure what your objection to the loctite is. These bolts do loosen due to vibration. That's why you had to tighten the bolt. Why not apply loctite?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There were the remnants of blue loctite on the bolt already so it is just a simple test really.

·
Registered
482 Posts
The bolts holding the kickstand should have red locktite on it from factory. And even then they still loosen. I actually lost one of the bolts - it fully came out somewhere - and the other one was very loose, even with the red loctite.

I ordered new OEM ones, and they also came with red loctite applied. Nevertheless, I still added MOAR red loctite on both bolts to prevent from unscrewing themselves.

·
Registered
802 Posts
You can bypass the side stand sensor using a resistor and it's a cheap fix. Please check YouTube, the side stand sensor can be a pain in the arse when you least expect. Check out this thread, and here in India, many have used the side stand bypass sensor for peace of mind owning to riding conditions.

Cheers!
VJ

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You can bypass the side stand sensor using a resistor and it's a cheap fix. Please check YouTube, the side stand sensor can be a pain in the arse when you least expect. Check out this thread, and here in India, many have used the side stand bypass sensor for peace of mind owning to riding conditions.

Cheers!
VJ
Just tightening the kickstand fixed the issue. I even purchased a kickstand extender for good measure to reduce the lateral load onto the kickstand.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts