KTM Duke 390 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have recently bought one this bike and am loving it, such fun, looking forward to the summer.
It's a December 2017/current model I think...

I am no good at engines at all but I am trying to get into the habit of looking after a machine myself rather than pay someone to do it and thought an oil change would be a decent level job to attempt. I ride about 30 miles a day every day so it's already due...
Looked on Youtube and seems on the video I watched, the guy seemed to order the wrong oil change kit... My question is, where would be best to pick up a genuine KTM kit do you think?

I am presuming to use the manufacturers suggested oil and also a torque wrench.
Again, any other hand tips would be welcome. Don't mind picking up the tools if it saves me in the long run...

Thank you in advance.
Alex

·
Registered
44 Posts
I personally always use genuine KTM filters and screens when changing oil and filter (available as a kit of filter, o rings and screens), they are readily available on line from either KTM dealers or occasionally ebay at a reasonable price. Oil wise I find Silkolene 15/50 fully synthetic very good, seems to reduce the clunkyness in gear changes and makes them silky smooth, but that could be a placebo affect that comes with an oil an filter change, just like your bike is able to go another 10miles an hour faster after a service lol.

A good quality torque wrench is a good start along with a decent range of sockets, both in 3/8 or 1/2 inch should cover most maintenance jobs on the 390.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I personally always use genuine KTM filters and screens when changing oil and filter (available as a kit of filter, o rings and screens), they are readily available on line from either KTM dealers or occasionally ebay at a reasonable price. Oil wise I find Silkolene 15/50 fully synthetic very good, seems to reduce the clunkyness in gear changes and makes them silky smooth, but that could be a placebo affect that comes with an oil an filter change, just like your bike is able to go another 10miles an hour faster after a service lol.

A good quality torque wrench is a good start along with a decent range of sockets, both in 3/8 or 1/2 inch should cover most maintenance jobs on the 390.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Thanks Dave,

I am going a bit oil filter kit blind - can't work out whether I am looking for one of these:
or one of these...

Having not done it before I haven't seen the right one yet...

Thanks for the tip on the oil, just what I need to hear.

·
Super Moderator
1,394 Posts
Welcome, Aleglala,

On the oil, if riding in winter 10W-40 semi-synthetic is good and Motorex is as good as any
Summer riding change to 15W-50 if it is a hot summer ;) (see temp range in manual).
Semi-synthetic or full synthetic works well (I use Motorex 15W-50 in my 200 and Ipone 10W-60 full synthetic in my 390, both are tropical area rides)
On filter kits you may want to look up Wemoto who does kits for our bikes with either OEM stuff or the German and certified Hi-Flo filter which is a good product, I have used many times.
If need be and not twisted or thorn, you may wash out the strainers and reuse these.
Torquing down the oil filter cap bolts, please stay on the safe side.
Good luck, not difficult at all and very, very doable for everyone.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks very much - I will go the Wemoto route, thanks. Interesting re. oil too, don’t know what the numbers mean, had assumed to go for 15W/50 as directed...

Oh and I will presume to take the old oil to the tip to dispose of I guess.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts