KTM Duke 390 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
KTM 390 Duke [2018]
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some advice again.
My KTM 390 duke [2018 model] has started new problem, “engine stalling”.
It started giving this trouble at 13000 km. [now its 14500, still having it]
  • Nature of the problem
Engine just cuts off within first 20 min during a ride. Minimum 3 times, maximum 16 that I could count.
While acceleration, while deceleration, while constant speed, while off throttle, while full throttle, while in gear[any] and while in neutral.
There is no pattern basically, except for the fact it happens within first 20 min or so. After that, bike would go flying for hundreds of km giving that full experience of hair-raising acceleration and dashing through corners without any sign of engine trouble.
Red “engine-sign” appears on and off, at times.

Bike condition
  • Odometer 14500km
  • Proper engine oil level, new oil filters, oil screeners good, new fuel filter, new air filter, new spark plug, throttle body cleaned, fuel injector cleaned, battery good [goes up to 14.3V] fuel tank cleaned and dried, OBD clear, ECU error codes cleared at service station. [Basically, I have attempted every possible end that I could figure out] did everything to fix the problem but problem stays on continuously

Interesting findings
  • Trouble comes up in both cold morning or hot noon. [in my country there are no big summer winter difference, its around 30C these days.
  • Bike was reset-or error memory cleared by the service guy once and suddenly the problem was gone for a day, where I rode it back home 60 km. next day, **** happened again.
  • When engine stops while riding, hitting start button does not start the engine. I hear it keeps cranking but would not start, regardless of how many times I would try.
  • Instead, if I turn the key off, wait 5 seconds turn on again, wait till the TFT display boosts up and touch the start button, bike starts up nicely, and I can ride till it stops again, to repeat the process.
  • I found that even if I keep the key position unchanged and use engine run-off switch on handlebar to cut off, wait then switch on after the bike stalls, it starts when the starter button is touched.
  • Even manual push start won’t work when the engine cuts off, but switching off the key [or run-off] and coming back does the job.
  • What I do now is be obedient, to pull the clutch as soon the engine goes off, so the bike still is moving and turn run-off switch off. Then switch on and push starter to get the engine back and continue riding.

Feedback from service station
  • They are clueless. Keeps telling me they will figure it out.
  • What I wanted them to do was reset my ECU to factory setting [like mobile phones can be reset] but I don’t know if they understand.

My second option is to buy a new ECU and try, as I feel the fault must be in the electronic part.
Can I just throw the old ECU, put the new one and just “ride”?
Or will I need the service guy and his scanner thing to fix new ECU?

Please help me on this. You guys must be having lot more experience.

·
Registered
173 Posts
What was the error code on the ecu?

Are all battery connections tight and cables in good condition?

Check the spark plug lead for damage because it can wear out and short on the frame

·
Registered
KTM 390 Duke [2018]
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Check the spark plug lead for damage because it can wear out and short on the frame
Thank you very much for responding.

Sorry I totally missed these information out.
1] Error codes were, U1001, U1003 and U1010 first time when scanned. [ meaning of these I have not yet found.]
Second time they said there were no codes but some "dot codes" and they had cleared which made the bike run really smooth for that 60km back-home ride.

2] All battery connections are tight and cables seem to be in good condition. didn't check with equipment, I just touched, pulled and inspected.
3] Spark plug lead and the head even was checked and all good.

·
Administrator
2,324 Posts
All the U codes you mentioned are related to the communication between the ECU and the CAN-bus.
You or the person checking the codes on an OBD2 scanner probably does not have the correct connecting wire from the KTM CAN-bus socket to the OBD2 reader/scanner.
You may find the correct interface cable here.

Reactions: Jazz

·
Registered
KTM 390 Duke [2018]
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
All the U codes you mentioned are related to the communication between the ECU and the CAN-bus.
You or the person checking the codes on an OBD2 scanner probably does not have the correct connecting wire from the KTM CAN-bus socket to the OBD2 reader/scanner.
You may find the correct interface cable here.
Thank you for responding.

It was the service center guy who did that scanning. I managed to get pics. Now my display does not show that "red-engine" sign anymore. does it mean there are no error codes this time? or will they appear if I get it connected properly to a scanner?

I am sort of fed up with these so called service dealers. [ for an example, it seems like that donkey didn't have/use the proper cable in the very first time, which brought up CAN communication errors]

If I buy a new ECU, will I be able to just "plug-and ride"?
I m looking for anything that I can do myself, and to stay away from those time wasting, unreliable, service dealer psychos.🚴‍♀️🚴‍♀️

·
Administrator
2,324 Posts
As the most likely scenario with the communication problem is the interface cable, this is the first thing to check BUT there can also be a problem in the wiring loom on your bike or the connector on the ECU or elsewhere.
Getting another/new ECU will render pretty expensive.
When the 'check engine' light is off, this means there currently is no issue and you should be able to use the bike normally.
You might also try and run the re-set procedure to get the ECU back @ basic settings.
Search the forum for the correct procedure for your years Duke.

·
Registered
KTM 390 Duke [2018]
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
As the most likely scenario with the communication problem is the interface cable, this is the first thing to check BUT there can also be a problem in the wiring loom on your bike or the connector on the ECU or elsewhere.
When the 'check engine' light is off, this means there currently is no issue and you should be able to use the bike normally.
You might also try and run the re-set procedure to get the ECU back @ basic settings.

engine check light is off, but bike keeps stalling. I thought that ECU itself is crazy, so it cant see the problem as a problem and that's why it does not display the sign.:unsure::unsure:

·
Registered
KTM 390 Duke [2018]
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
engine check light is off, but bike keeps stalling. I thought that ECU itself is crazy, so it cant see the problem as a problem and that's why it does not display the sign.:unsure::unsure:
ecu rest is the exact thing i need them to do, but they don t understando_O
they are talking about ecu flash

·
Administrator
2,324 Posts
There is a self-reset procedure search the forum for your year's bike.
I guess a KTM workshop will just hook up the ECU and flashes it to the basic settings again.
(your ECU adjusts while riding to your location and riding style parameters).

·
Registered
KTM 390 Duke [2018]
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I need some advice again.
My KTM 390 duke [2018 model] has started new problem, “engine stalling”.
It started giving this trouble at 13000 km. [now its 14500, still having it]
  • Nature of the problem
Engine just cuts off within first 20 min during a ride. Minimum 3 times, maximum 16 that I could count.
While acceleration, while deceleration, while constant speed, while off throttle, while full throttle, while in gear[any] and while in neutral.
There is no pattern basically, except for the fact it happens within first 20 min or so. After that, bike would go flying for hundreds of km giving that full experience of hair-raising acceleration and dashing through corners without any sign of engine trouble.
Red “engine-sign” appears on and off, at times.

Bike condition
  • Odometer 14500km
  • Proper engine oil level, new oil filters, oil screeners good, new fuel filter, new air filter, new spark plug, throttle body cleaned, fuel injector cleaned, battery good [goes up to 14.3V] fuel tank cleaned and dried, OBD clear, ECU error codes cleared at service station. [Basically, I have attempted every possible end that I could figure out] did everything to fix the problem but problem stays on continuously

Interesting findings
  • Trouble comes up in both cold morning or hot noon. [in my country there are no big summer winter difference, its around 30C these days.
  • Bike was reset-or error memory cleared by the service guy once and suddenly the problem was gone for a day, where I rode it back home 60 km. next day, **** happened again.
  • When engine stops while riding, hitting start button does not start the engine. I hear it keeps cranking but would not start, regardless of how many times I would try.
  • Instead, if I turn the key off, wait 5 seconds turn on again, wait till the TFT display boosts up and touch the start button, bike starts up nicely, and I can ride till it stops again, to repeat the process.
  • I found that even if I keep the key position unchanged and use engine run-off switch on handlebar to cut off, wait then switch on after the bike stalls, it starts when the starter button is touched.
  • Even manual push start won’t work when the engine cuts off, but switching off the key [or run-off] and coming back does the job.
  • What I do now is be obedient, to pull the clutch as soon the engine goes off, so the bike still is moving and turn run-off switch off. Then switch on and push starter to get the engine back and continue riding.

Feedback from service station
  • They are clueless. Keeps telling me they will figure it out.
  • What I wanted them to do was reset my ECU to factory setting [like mobile phones can be reset] but I don’t know if they understand.

My second option is to buy a new ECU and try, as I feel the fault must be in the electronic part.
Can I just throw the old ECU, put the new one and just “ride”?
Or will I need the service guy and his scanner thing to fix new ECU?

Please help me on this. You guys must be having lot more experience.

·
Registered
KTM 390 Duke [2018]
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
There is a self-reset procedure search the forum for your year's bike.
I guess a KTM workshop will just hook up the ECU and flashes it to the basic settings again.
(your ECU adjusts while riding to your location and riding style parameters).
Found 15 min idle manual reset in the forum.
I have already tried it twice.
first time, engine did cut off at 2 min, next 8 min.
started again for 15 min 30 seconds.
problem did not go away.

next attempt in morning, [22C], engine didn't stop for full length of 15 min 30 sec.
still, the stalling is there.
I think my ECU has a manufacture inbuilt hardware error.:unsure::unsure:

·
Administrator
2,324 Posts
If not mistaken, the 15 minutes is for the first generation bikes only (till 2016) after this it is shorter but as I only have 2 first gen bikes I am not familiar with the later reset procedure.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Thank you, for responding.

Engine cuts off even if it is kept neutral. That is what I can't figure out.
:(
ado Kolla check this video.
I Had a friend who had a similar issue and his was also the same issue with the throttle body and fuel injector.

with all the research and stuff I found are these for engine stalling
Bad/Failing Ignition Coil
dirty throttle body or Fuel Injectors
Bad Fuel Pump

·
Registered
KTM 390 Duke [2018]
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
ado Kolla check this video.
I Had a friend who had a similar issue and his was also the same issue with the throttle body and fuel injector.

with all the research and stuff I found are these for engine stalling
Bad/Failing Ignition Coil
dirty throttle body or Fuel Injectors
Bad Fuel Pump
Thank you for responding.

This bike, on video stalls but then starts up again with starter. My problem is when the engine stops, it never starts up again and only keeps on cranking. All I have to do is turn the key off, turn it on again then touch the starter.....Boom..starts.

Throttle body and injectors are cleaned,I guess I d look into ignition coil.
(y)(y)

·
Registered
KTM 390 Duke [2018]
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Hi,
Bike stalled and showed engine check sign.
I got ECU scanned yesterday again and they found two codes.
P2101 and P060A
they deleted it and told me to ride and see.
I did 10 min zero throttle reset there, and did wait for 5 more min with engine off.
Now bike is okay and didn't stop afterwords [for the last 115km] :giggle::giggle:

Can you tell me the meaning of P2101 and P060A please?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts