KTM Duke 390 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This post is already there here KTM 390 Duke : Fitting CBR 250R's Wind shield.

KTM 390 Duke is a very fast bike. It catches up the speeds before you can notice it. But being a naked bike it come with little bit of drawback, which is Wind-blast at higher speeds. Especially Post 100-120 kph.

One fine evening an Idea struck me when I met my friend who owns a CBR 250R. After looking at its wind shield, thought of implementing it on 390 Duke to reduce the amount of wind-blast. So below are basic steps to get it done.

DISCLAIMER: This is purely experimental purpose and I do not give guarantee that the wind shield will sustain high speeds. I do not accept any liability or responsibility in case of any damage to machine or a person. Do at your own wish.

ASSUMPTIONS: You know basic stuff of screwing and unscrewing :p with an Allen Key.

Tools Required:
1. Patience.
2. CBR 250R's wind shield.
3. Axe blade & its frame.
4. File to smoothen the rough edges
5. Drill machine (if you don't have approach any local Number plate cutting shop, they usually have to drill the holes on number plates)
6. 1 Man hour.

Precautions:

Do not remove the protective sheet on clear part of visor until complete work is done. Helps in avoiding unnecessary scratches while cutting/filing/handling it.

Steps below:

First step is to procure a CBR 250R's wind shield. Its MRP is Rs 357 as on 05-10-2013. see below picture.

You don't need those Black part of the wind shield. I have cut them off with an axe blade fixed on frame. The material easily cuts if you have good blade. The one I used was a used one and almost 2 years old . Took me 10-15 mins to do.

After the Black part is removed, smooth the rough edges with the file, be gentle here. You dont want to touch the Clear part of the wind shield. Took around 5-10 mins.

Just to show how it may look after it is fixed. It is wider than other visors like R15, Pulsar or Fazer. Hence opted for CBR's.
Some how duke looks unhappy :p

Pick the stock wind shield and place it accordingly on the CBR's visor. Make sure you mark the centre on the CBR's wind shield and align the Stock wind shield according to that. Mark the drilling point through the holes with a permanent marker or sketch pen.

Before drilling the CBR's wind shield. Pick up the left out black part that has been cut earlier. Do a test on this part before going to the main wind shield to check if the drill is suitable according to the screw's size.

IMPORTANT: Always place wooden plank below the part to be drilled to avoid damage to floor. Use the drill in low speeds. Using in high speeds will make the machine slip as it is a smooth surface.

Drill the hole on the main part of the visor. Keep in mind to NOT keep the drill perpendicular to the wind shield. Keep it little inclined. See below picture. As the Wind shield and the holding area of the Duke's head lamp are curved, drill according to that angle.

My cousin who is experienced (part of his work) too the drilling part.

Repeat on the other side. Note the angle at which it is being drilled.

Since the curvature of CBR and Duke's Headlamp area do not match. You need to put some pressure on the wind shield to tighten the screws.

And the work is done. Since it is night shot and I havent removed the protective sheet on wind shield. It may not look clear in here. I will click better pictures in the morning and post them.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Nice mod, that looks better than Puig etc. Im sure you'll have a few people thinking about it, thanks for the how to ;)

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
Nice job! Looks great..

·
Registered
41 Posts
Wind blast for me is only a problem if I sit straight up..at higher speeds I tuck my head down toward the tank no need for a windshield, but nice mod..I can appreciate the ingenuity

1 - 11 of 11 Posts