KTM Duke 390 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I know this has been posted around KTM forums frequently, all going through similar experiences. So I just want to put my findings and research in one place, and hope to come to a successful fix for the common "Oil Pressure Low" warning you get on the dash.

About my bike: 2013 KTM Duke 390 (European Model) Purchased in April 2020.

About the problem: As you're reading this, I assume you have the same issue I have. Looking around it seems very common on various models of KTM's, not limited to 390 Dukes. Theres obviously a manufacturing fault, hardware fault or software malfunction somewhere in the bike. Some people get the error intermittently and for some it stays on. I get it after about 5 minutes of riding. The error comes on and stays on, but the bike handles, sounds and smells no different.

Possible causes:
  1. Engine leak
  2. Coolant mixing with engine oil
  3. Oil filter
  4. Faulty sensor
  5. Faulty dashboard
  6. Incorrect/inefficient oil
  7. Oil level
  8. Issue with wires
I'll add to this list with more research.

Working through the above list:

Engine leak: No signs of engine leak. Without taking the engine out and testing seals, gaskets etc. This will be last resort and would mean an engine rebuild.

Coolant mixing with engine oil: No signs of this yet. This tends to be a slow process that leads to gloopy dark engine oil. Upon visual inspection of the engine oil, it seems to be normal in colour and viscosity.

Oil filter: I've seen on forums that people/garages have put 3rd party oil filters in these engines, only to find they have 'collapsed' or not worked better than OEM. Furthermore, the oil filter not being 'seated' well enough seems to be a 'thing'. The OEM filter should be fine, so buying one for around £5 is an easy job that takes this off the list of possible faults. When I took the one out of my bike, it didn't seem too bad, but it wasn't OEM. Replacing the oil filter goes hand in hand with the oil seal, so I did that too.

Faulty sensor: This is an obvious one to look at. Pretty common with some cars from my experience. So replacing the Oil Pressure Sensor will take that off the list of possible faults. I paid around £9 for an OEM sensor. Plus you can remove it without removing any panels off the bike, making it the easiest thing you can do on the above list. NOTE: buying an OEM Oil Pressure Sensor comes with the necessary seals, no need to buy them separately like I did! Oops! The sensor has a wire connecting to it that has a ring connection. Mine was showing signs of age with some oxidation on the connection. I took a scour pad and cleaned it the best I could. This could contribute to a dodgy connection.

Faulty dashboard: Again, a common theme with this fault is the dashboard being faulty. There is a thread on a forum that claimed to have fixed this issue with a brand new dashboard (after replacing sensors etc). The guy got it replaced under warranty. My bikes 6 years old, I think that ships sailed! A new dashboard seems to be around £350, so this will be one of the last things to try. In addition, people have claimed to have fixed the issue with a simple software update. I think I'll get this checked in a couple of weeks either way, I do not have the hardware to do this from home. Let's see how I get on.

Incorrect/inefficient oil: These engines seems to be a bit sensitive. So putting the best oil in is definitely something you don't want to miss. The manual recommends 15w/50 oil, and looking through some forums, people have had the best luck with Motul 300v 15w/50. The bike takes 1.6 litres. I have put this oil in.

Oil Level: Again, these engines seem less forgiving, and overfilling the engine with oil is not good for it. I've made sure the correct amount of oil is in the bike. It's worth mentioning that should there be an engine leak, this oil level would decrease, causing the "Oil Pressure Low" warning by design. My oil level has remained consistent with no signs of a leak.

Issues with wires: There could be a broken wire somewhere triggering this fault. It's unlikely but possible. Ive given the bike a good once-over and cannot see any wire damage.

As my engine has not had a catastrophic failure yet, and as the bike is 6 years old, one would assume its a false error. If it was a genuine fault, the engine would crap itself very quickly if I kept riding the bike with the fault, which I have. If the bike was new, I would be worried. But due to the nature of the issue, it's got to be addressed.

If anyone has any ideas for me to try, I'm more than happy to hear them. If I get this issue fixed, I'll post my findings here and hopefully it helps someone else!

UPDATE: So I've received the OEM oil pressure sensor today and to my delight, this seems to have addressed this issue. Its not surprising considering I didn't have any of the other symptoms I mentioned above. If you're having the same issue, use my little troubleshooting guide to work through the easiest fixes to the hardest. Overall, making sure you have a good oil filter, correct oil level, recommended oil (Motul 300v 15w/50) and no leaks, your problem should be solved with a new pressure sensor. I hope this helps! Thanks

·
Registered
563 Posts
Do you have oil? If so replace the sensor, this is a problem that's been happening a lot.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Okey hear me out.if the oil level is okey,oil pump is working,no water mixing with oil,correct oil what i mean is 15w50 full synthetic,
Then it is oil pressure sensor expired.its perfectly normal.it was all okey with my bike but i was getting low oil pressure warning...
İ changed oil pressure sensor at 26k kms.now eveeything is fine.its just,the sensor gets old in time...getting rusty or broken bla bla.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts