KTM Duke 390 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone the other day i was riding my Duke 390 2018 on the highway travelling at about 100km/h when bike suddenly made a loud noise and shut off i pulled to the side of the road and the bike would not start, had to tow it home, When i try to start the bike the starter relay makes an electrical noise like its trying to start but it wont start, i replaced the starter relay but its doing the same thing, my dash is reading 11v and when i try to start it it drops to 10v 8v and even 4v what xould the problem be?

·
Registered
661 Posts
That sound is the starter trying to engage. Chances are your battery doesn't have the amps to turn over the motor and start it.

HOWEVER, I would look into what caused the to just stop running. Before doing anything I recommend taking the plug off of the clutch side of the engine and seeing if the engine will turnover by hand.

·
Super Moderator
1,811 Posts
Definitely too little power from the battery BUT as 1jzsupra mentioned, check what the issue is/was why the bike stalled while running first.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This is my bike and the noise its makeing
That sound is the starter trying to engage. Chances are your battery doesn't have the amps to turn over the motor and start it.

HOWEVER, I would look into what caused the to just stop running. Before doing anything I recommend taking the plug off of the clutch side of the engine and seeing if the engine will turnover by hand.
I just replaced the battery its not a battery issue whats weird is i do not see any oil in my bike glass and theres no oil leaks anywhere, the engine, abs, and oil light is on, and an error thats says ecu failure

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just replaced the battery its not a battery issue whats weird is i do not see any oil in my bike glass and theres no oil leaks anywhere, the engine, abs, and oil light is on, and an error thats says ecu failure
Please forgive my lack of proper terminology and knowledge of mechanics). I am a newer female rider and have little to no experience in a mechanical background. Everything has been self taught, trial and error or online based. (Again, I apologize first hand for my limited knowledge. TY)

I am having the exact same issue with my 2019 390 4K miles. I was riding behind a D-bag for almost 3 miles, he had at least 15 cars stacked up behind him going 35ish in a 55. Finally getting to an intersection Mr. Pokey got in the left turn lane I went right and then shot myself in the foot. In my haste and irritation I rev bombed her and started ripping through gears. Maybe hitting 3rd, I heard a loud pop (it sounded like an electrical boom) almost like a fuse. The engine cut, my lights and dash stayed on, I had hoped I just stalled or accidentally hit the kill switch (which happens too often). Nope. I coasted her over to a small area off the road and the freak out began. I remember only a few things in that moment when it happened. I’m sure the OP went through some of the emotions after losing power on the road as it turns into a survival sitch. *I do remember seeing the black and red warning of ABS FAILURE for a second. Also, I did see an ECU FAILURE in the warning category in INFO.

I thought maybe 🤞🏻 I popped a fuse (I had rev bombed her so I was hoping that had been the issue). Same issues as OP stated- When trying to turn her on you hear the loud click clacking (I believe coming from the relays- I unplugged and used a millimeter to get to that “assumption”.

Indicators-
All lights and displays come on.
Hear the fuel injector priming
When hitting start the loud click clacking (sounds like the relay?)
Lights flicker etc
Volts go from 12.9V and drop around 4v - then strangely stagers and increases back to normal V (maybe 12.4?)
** I assume because I unplugged the battery I wiped out the warnings?** They don’t allow me to even go into the INFO- warning anymore.
After trying a few times, it will flash ECU FAILURE.. (maybe that’s Captain Obvious? That’s what I am scared of). All warnings disappear and can’t be seen or found in INFO anymore.

Checked-
Trickle charged battery over night- same result. Had battery load tested- said it was no good so I bought a replacement.
Replacement installed- Same Result- No go.
Checked main fuses with millimeter (ones that are accessible under seat)- All Good
4 Major Relays- all read OK (3 range from 93 to 98, 1st relay L to R reads slightly higher 104-109)

I’ve seen some say- it’s your starter solenoid. Possibly it’s your kickstand sensor. I am at a lost at this point, hopefully the OP has better luck. I will reluctantly have to take it to KTM and due to some of my negligence will be paying most likely out of pocket.

·
Registered
747 Posts
The bike will not blow fuses or ECU from rev bombing it. It has a rev limiter to prevent over revving the engine no matter what you do with the throttle or what gear you are in. The bike can be ridden hard without damage.

·
Super Moderator
1,811 Posts
As Marius says, revving her will most likely not be the cause.
I am not very informed about the later gen 390's but here is my first-gen experience.
On my 200 (2012 about 30,000km at that time) the starter solenoid did the same, only clicking when trying to start.
On the first-gen, it lives under the right (if I remember well) rear fearing.
To check the starter solenoid, remove the fearing and with the ignition key in the start position, short the 2 thick cable connections on the solenoid briefly.
This should make the starter motor spin.
If this is the case, you'll probably need to replace the solenoid, I did and fixed my issue.
If it does not spin the starter motor the fault is elsewhere.
It is a mysterious happening though as it occurs during riding which should not affect the starting process at all as this has no function after the engine runs.
Is there any burning smell at either the solenoid/starter motor or perhaps the stator? (sits on the left side of the engine behind the cover with the TDC check bolt).

Please forgive my lack of proper terminology and knowledge of mechanics). I am a newer female rider and have little to no experience in a mechanical background. Everything has been self taught, trial and error or online based. (Again, I apologize first hand for my limited knowledge. TY)

I am having the exact same issue with my 2019 390 4K miles. I was riding behind a D-bag for almost 3 miles, he had at least 15 cars stacked up behind him going 35ish in a 55. Finally getting to an intersection Mr. Pokey got in the left turn lane I went right and then shot myself in the foot. In my haste and irritation I rev bombed her and started ripping through gears. Maybe hitting 3rd, I heard a loud pop (it sounded like an electrical boom) almost like a fuse. The engine cut, my lights and dash stayed on, I had hoped I just stalled or accidentally hit the kill switch (which happens too often). Nope. I coasted her over to a small area off the road and the freak out began. I remember only a few things in that moment when it happened. I’m sure the OP went through some of the emotions after losing power on the road as it turns into a survival sitch. *I do remember seeing the black and red warning of ABS FAILURE for a second. Also, I did see an ECU FAILURE in the warning category in INFO.

I thought maybe 🤞🏻 I popped a fuse (I had rev bombed her so I was hoping that had been the issue). Same issues as OP stated- When trying to turn her on you hear the loud click clacking (I believe coming from the relays- I unplugged and used a millimeter to get to that “assumption”.

Indicators-
All lights and displays come on.
Hear the fuel injector priming
When hitting start the loud click clacking (sounds like the relay?)
Lights flicker etc
Volts go from 12.9V and drop around 4v - then strangely stagers and increases back to normal V (maybe 12.4?)
** I assume because I unplugged the battery I wiped out the warnings?** They don’t allow me to even go into the INFO- warning anymore.
After trying a few times, it will flash ECU FAILURE.. (maybe that’s Captain Obvious? That’s what I am scared of). All warnings disappear and can’t be seen or found in INFO anymore.

Checked-
Trickle charged battery over night- same result. Had battery load tested- said it was no good so I bought a replacement.
Replacement installed- Same Result- No go.
Checked main fuses with millimeter (ones that are accessible under seat)- All Good
4 Major Relays- all read OK (3 range from 93 to 98, 1st relay L to R reads slightly higher 104-109)

I’ve seen some say- it’s your starter solenoid. Possibly it’s your kickstand sensor. I am at a lost at this point, hopefully the OP has better luck. I will reluctantly have to take it to KTM and due to some of my negligence will be paying most likely out of pocket.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts