KTM Duke 390 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
KTM and the US have a funny relationship. Riders in the US are familiar with the KTM brand, many of them (us) are frothing at the mouth in anticipation of the Duke 390, more so the RC390. I'm not concerned about KTM USA bringing the bikes over, but I am concerned about the dealers they expect to sell them.

KTM USAs road segment management is nascent, no, almost non existent. WHY? Well for one the orange bikes are seen as an off road brand here in NA, in fact most of our KTM distributors will only stock dirt only models. To say not many of them care about having an RC8 on their floor is an understatement.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Are there not other dealers who will stock more of the sport and naked bikes? I know that KTM doesn't have an extensive dealer network in the US. So, while the bikes may be really nice, the hard part will be getting hands on one.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Ive noticed lots of people have the same opinion on the KTM Forum especially the RC8 boys and theres also a few 690 owners in the same boat. Most seem to have found a mechanic that they can trust through trial and error and its generally not a KTM dealer.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
exactly,it's the next best thing to an actual KTM dealer.
at least if we want a BMW, there are a number of BMW dealers around :D
I don't want BMW, I want KTM and I want a reputable place for information. I have to imagine with Duke derivatives and the RCs slowly making their way over KTM will invest in a semi-legit dealer network. For you guys who have your dukes, I know you;re from different countries, but what we're your dealers like? Powersports conglomerates or dedicated dealers?

·
Registered
817 Posts
Theres only one in Queensland thats a dedicated dealer and thats in Brisbane about 2000k's away.
Most KTM shops ive seen also have Suzuki, my local has KTM Suzuki CF Moto Triumph and in the past few weeks moved their Harley section into a new massive dedicated store front. I think they've also recently moved into Ducati because there are old ones on the floor now.
Getting Harley out was a bonus as you felt like you were at the bottom run of the ladder when you compare the other bike prices against HD and the service schedule.
Its the same with all bikes really, the owner will pour over material and know everything about it because you love your machine. The dealer doesnt do that to them its just another bike thats going to cause them skin and patience, thats why whenever I take a bike in I try to give as much information about the problem and if anyone else is having the same issue. Saves a lot of money in mechanic fee's amd wasted part changes.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Good way to conrtibute back in to the circle but not everyone thinks that way unforutnately.

·
Registered
208 Posts
If KTM wants to expand more I think they should invest in some dedicated dealers in the major city centers. They are going to be limited as to how big they can get until they have their own dealers.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
If KTM wants to expand more I think they should invest in some dedicated dealers in the major city centers. They are going to be limited as to how big they can get until they have their own dealers.
It's probably better they sick with the system they have in place now until they blow up. There's a reason why this hasn't happened as yet

·
Registered
573 Posts
Wow ... loks like i'm the lucky ones ... we have a home plat KTM only assembly line up North Malaysia and the extend of sales center is everywhere .. service center is growing up too ...

Heard that there are more and more training clases going on to train new distributor and their technical staff ...

The main distri for my state is just mere 10km away from home ... im getting my Oil Sensor replaced as it's gone broken after my 1st service .. everything is Online for service and warranty claimed.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Wow ... loks like i'm the lucky ones ... we have a home plat KTM only assembly line up North Malaysia and the extend of sales center is everywhere .. service center is growing up too ...

Heard that there are more and more training clases going on to train new distributor and their technical staff ...

The main distri for my state is just mere 10km away from home ... im getting my Oil Sensor replaced as it's gone broken after my 1st service .. everything is Online for service and warranty claimed.
Its good they are expanding for you guys over there it makes thing easier every way you look at it.

Oh yes I remember now with your broken sensor, did you get it fixed and back on the road yet?

·
Registered
573 Posts
Nop .. i was bz for a week ... and my dealer did not log-in for me my service interval. Lack of some document, so i pass them my document and they have since updated ktm.net and already send the complaint and new sensor will arrive next week.

hope it solves the prob .. quit annoying having Low Oil Pressure error msgs ...:mad:

Its good they are expanding for you guys over there it makes thing easier every way you look at it.

Oh yes I remember now with your broken sensor, did you get it fixed and back on the road yet?

·
Registered
170 Posts
Has anyone seen the KTM 390 Duke here in the USA yet? I live in the mid-west ( Cincinnati) and would like to find one. Hope they go for the msrp!

thanks for your help.
-Tod

·
Registered
52 Posts
They are expected to be state side in March-April.

I know here in Colorado, there are 3 powersports stores that sell ktm that are close to Denver. Only one sells street bikes. I'm hoping the popularity of the brand grows and more people take notice. Having options for a purchases would be nice.

·
Registered
208 Posts
They are expected to be state side in March-April.

I know here in Colorado, there are 3 powersports stores that sell ktm that are close to Denver. Only one sells street bikes. I'm hoping the popularity of the brand grows and more people take notice. Having options for a purchases would be nice.
It'll be nice to be on the forefront though. That way you can be ahead of the trend before KTM really picks up in NA.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Cycle Specialities, here inCincinnati, is rumored to be selling KTM soon.
Great news for me!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Wow, guess I'm fortunate to live 10 miles from KTM USA and 30 miles from my dealer who has been a certified KTM mech. For 9 years.

John Penton lives 15 minutes from my house. Penton put KTM and Alpinestars on the map.

My RC should arrive end of March.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts