KTM Duke 390 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
KTM, one of the boutiquiest of boutique bike makers has recently set their sights on taking on the Japanese big 4. Meet the RC390. Its based on the 390 Duke and will show up with an MSRP similar to the Kawasaki Ninja 300 and Honda CBR500, ~$5,000.

Im expecting the RC390 to decimate all. The Duke already weighs a paltry 306 pounds dry with 40 hp at the rear wheel, so expect a similar set up for the RC390.

There aren't any specifics as to how RC390 is going to differ from the Duke 390, im expecting it to be suspension mainly. Powertrain differences are unlikely just because its easier to get one engine approved by regulatory standards than it is two.

Note: Pictures are of the race-only KTM RC390 used for Red Bulls Rookie Cup.

What do you guys think?

·
Registered
208 Posts
I was going to say, do they all come looking like this?

Its a good looking bike and it comes at a reasonable price. I can't see why it wouldn't compete with the Big 4. As long as it actually rides well.

Is it harder to find parts for KTM bikes though since the company is much smaller and the bikes don't get produced in nearly the same quantities?

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was going to say, do they all come looking like this?

Its a good looking bike and it comes at a reasonable price. I can't see why it wouldn't compete with the Big 4. As long as it actually rides well.

Is it harder to find parts for KTM bikes though since the company is much smaller and the bikes don't get produced in nearly the same quantities?
No KTM is growing quite well the last few years actually. A company called Bajaj owns a majority stake in KTM and has actually begun producing bikes in India and South East Asia. It was Bajaj that pioneered development of the Duke. I'm not too concerned about parts or quantities, KTM seems to of addressed that.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts