KTM Duke 390 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
this is what I found out:

The 11-litre tank is modest but KTM are claiming 3.4 litre per 100km fuel economy under the standardised EU testing regimen. That sounds too good to be true but it is likely the 390 Duke will easily better 200km between fills and offer frugal, economical motorcycling.

·
Registered
208 Posts
The website is strange because it says that "the 390 Duke 2013 not only provides the rider with perfect knee contact, but also with a greater range, even when ridden on the edge, thanks to the economic engine."

It then goes on to not tell you what the fuel efficiency is for the bike. So informative.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
25 kmpl works out to be just around 58MPG's which is amazing. As great as it sounds from these sources I rather hear what real riders report with their real world mileage. Either way though it will be amazing gas mileage

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
As a general rule, using a higher gear at lower RPM's at a given speed will yield higher mileage, as the number of engine injection/combustion cycles will be reduced.

But a much bigger factor in determining fuel efficiency/mileage is speed. The motorcycle/rider package is terribly inefficient aerodynamically, compared to a car, with little aero streamlining and all types of bike and rider parts hanging out in the airstream. The laws of physics tell us that aero drag increases as the square of velocity - translated practically, this means that fuel consumption to overcome drag at 100 MPH will be several times greater than fuel consumption for the same distance at 50 MPH. So the short answer to your question is: It depends: on speed, gearing, riding style (eg, hard acceleration uses lots of fuel) and other variables.

On my Duke I have registered as high as 68 MPG and as low as 56 MPG. Usually the bike comes in at about 61 MPG, plus or minus 2. This is a function of all the variables in the way I ride. Every rider's mileage will vary.

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Mpg...

Rode the snot out of my ktm yesterday and got a little over 60 MPG. Mountain riding with lots of twisties. Probably about 250 miles total. Not bad...:)

·
Registered
24 Posts
I ride in Michigan, mostly to and from work--sometimes longer trips. Generally, I have been getting about 14-16 miles per liter, according to the display. This puts the driving range at about 154 - 176 miles. yesterday, I rode to the dealer for my first service. It was 10% highway, 10% city, and 80% two-lane country roads. I rode 143 miles on 2.022 gallons of gas. This equates to 70 mpg. On previous tanks, the least I have gotten is 58 mpg.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Seeing all your stats makes my 57.1 mpg avg feel like I'm doing something wrong...although I suspect it's just the nature of my use (20 mile work commutes: 30% 25mph, 30% 40mph, 30% 75mph).

·
Registered
171 Posts
I don't know how precise the on-board fuel efficiency computer is, but with moderate speeds on mixed roads, mine registers between 19-21 miles per liter. That calculates out to 72-79 mpg. That's after the engine fully warms up. It will start out at 6-8 mpl, but quickly reaches 13-14, then creeps up to 20-ish after maybe 20 minutes. 21mpl is the highest I've observed in the maybe 250 miles I've put on so far (total mileage on the bike maybe 1050 or so, so probably not really broken in)

I have not as yet actually measured fuel consumption in hard numbers.

·
Registered
98 Posts
My 2016 has a bit over 2,000 miles and I ride it like I stole it when the road is interesting, and short-shift it in between. Mountains and freeways.

62 mpg over, and over, and over again.

·
Registered
23 Posts
My Duke 390 regularly gets 18-20 miles per litre on a good long run (if ridden boringly at about 50-55 mph). There are 4.55 litres to an imperial gallon so this works out to about 90 mpg. Take care in this thread to remember that US gallons are smaller than UK imperial gallons (US = 3.79 litres, UK = 4.54 litres). If I ride it hard over the mountains this drops to about 65+ mpg. This is as recorded by the dash computer. I have confirmed that the computer is pretty accurate by checking mileage on a brim to brim fuel top-up on my 90 miles commute which came in at £5.70 with petrol priced at £1.09/litre. This was a mix of slow (50-55 mph going to work) and fast riding (70-85 mph) coming home and works out at an average of 17.3 miles per litre or 78.54 mpg. This is on a fully run-in bike with 8000 miles (13,000km) on the clock. These bikes are still running in and freeing up even after 5000 miles, the idea that they are run in after 600 miles is laughable, my fuel consumption has been getting steadily better over the last few thousand miles, as has the starting which is now spot on every time with none of the original stalling and slow restarting that is so widely reported.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Best I saw on the highway was 26 kmpl running at around 110-130 kmph. That's tankful to tankful method and not the bike's info display and I get 18-20 kmpl in the city.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts