·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Off roading to da max!!!! :)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Awesome video! Just what I was looking for. We do a lot of long distance riding and more often than not off road. I wanted to see how the Duke 390 handled on goaty roads, dirt, sand and water crossing. Great shots! Thank you for sharing. :D

·
Registered
682 Posts
While I had the lower cowl off to drain my coolant I started making rough cardboard patterns for an alum. skidplate, more to fill the time in waiting for the engine to cool down than anything else.

They are only really rough but if anyone is thinking about going that way I can pass the info on in some format or another.

Reactions: mejetski2000

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
with a good set of dual-sport tires, I think the 390 Duke would make an entertaining, easy-to-manage offroad scrambler. Given the modest ground clearance, though, a sturdy bash plate would be essential IMO.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
A radiator guard would be essential also, methinks. Making a basic skid-plate wouldn't bee too difficult since all 4 bottom bolts appear to be in the same plane, probably fab up some 1/2" thick spacers to gain a bit of clearance to the crankcase. The mounting points for the forward upper bolts would be a bit trickier, but still doable. Having the belly-pan as reference will simplify calculating the angle : ) Using some welding rod bent to the same angle as the front portion of the pan would make a good layout gauge for the basic shape and hole locations. Don't get me started LOL.....

Pete

·
Registered
141 Posts
A radiator guard would be essential also, methinks. Making a basic skid-plate wouldn't bee too difficult since all 4 bottom bolts appear to be in the same plane, probably fab up some 1/2" thick spacers to gain a bit of clearance to the crankcase. The mounting points for the forward upper bolts would be a bit trickier, but still doable. Having the belly-pan as reference will simplify calculating the angle : ) Using some welding rod bent to the same angle as the front portion of the pan would make a good layout gauge for the basic shape and hole locations. Don't get me started LOL.....

Pete
Yup, radiator guard/crash bars like thesehttp://www.bs-motoparts.com/KTM/390_Duke/2014/10517/sturzbuegel-3463.htm
and a decent bash plate would be good and some bar risers so you can stand on the pegs when necessary.....

·
Registered
682 Posts
Hi Pete,

From my cardboard-ology on the weekend some 1/2" spacers would be required under the forward lower mounts, but adding a like amount to the rearward lower mounts might still allow the plate to touch the underside of the motor. I reckon just 1/4" under the rear mounts would tip the front of the plate down just enough to clear the motor without creating a lot of unnecessary clearance elsewhere.

Reactions: mejetski2000

·
Registered
178 Posts
I would go with the Adventure version if I was really into off roading. not that the Duke can't handle it, but I think the Adventure has a better set up.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Not familiar with a production Adventure version, is there one or an owner-modded one you're talking about ?

Pete

1 - 12 of 12 Posts