KTM Duke 390 Forum banner

101 - 117 of 117 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hey guys i did a custom tail tidy cut off today i bought one part for 14$ and now my bike looks like it has the evotech tail tidy, message me if you want me to post/ send it. Also I'm going away to L.A. this weekend so i will not respond until tuesday the earliest. also by the way i did this mod to the U.S. version.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I was originally planning to just add this to 'what have you done to your Duke today' thread, but since it turned into an ordeal I thought I'd share here...

This is the KTM Powerparts kit 90108915044:

Expensive but it should be good; or so I thought.
But I can only assume that the designer only tested it without fitting indicators!
After a lot of head scratching, double and treble checking, I reluctantly took an angle grinder to the frame of a brand new bike:eek:
The problem is simply that the indicator studs and nuts which are inside the assembly clash with the rear frame bracket – the solution is to chop the corners off the bracket.

Once that was done everything went together reasonably smoothly, though there was a gap where the metal frame met the plastic mudguard under the bike, so that needed a piece of foam tape adding to close that up.
The bracket itself has a huge hole in it so your back can get sprayed by the rear wheel, but that was fairly easily solved with a piece of plastic and some carbon look sticker.

Still to resolve is the angle of the number plate light – the (bright) white LED is visible to following traffic, so it needs to be tilted down a bit.

I still like the overall look and the fact that it is long enough to catch some of the spray, but for the money it really shouldn't need an angle grinder in the 'list of tools required to fit'!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Why did you use plumber's strap to hold on your license plate? The 2 phillips screws behind your plate location match the holes on license plates perfectly. All you have to do is get longer screws and use a lighted license plate frame like the one below for a lot more finished look.

http://www.amazon.com/Motorcycle-Bl...ords=black+led+license+plate+frame+motorcycle

Do you have Any more pics of your tail mod trying to do the same ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
675 Posts
I do but this forum has such tiny file size limits so I can't post them... Send me a friend request with a note about wanting to see more pic.s of my bike on Facebook (Brett Hawton in Renton, WA) and I'll accept so you can go through my photo albums ; )

·
Registered
675 Posts
I've used compressed photos before on this forum and after about 10 posts with pictures, it stopped working because their quota is ridiculously small. I don't have this problem on the RC390 forum...

·
Registered
35 Posts
I generally dislike carbon-fiber looking thingies,
but here I think it has been a very nice solution.

Whoever angle-grinds a brand-new bike
evokes some kind of weird respect inside my heart :D

·
Registered
675 Posts
I generally dislike carbon-fiber looking thingies,
but here I think it has been a very nice solution.

Whoever angle-grinds a brand-new bike
evokes some kind of weird respect inside my heart :D
Thanks for the kind words but there's no carbon fiber or faux carbon fiber on my bike. The tail piece was made out of fiberglass in Malaysia hence the crappy fit & finish. I'm 90% finished with creating a plastic version that has OEM fit & finish but I've been busy with putting 19K miles on my bike while performing the following list of mods ; )

Removed all graphics & stickers
Removed front & rear reflectors
Removed passenger pegs
Removed evaporative canister system
Removed all unused tabs & brackets on rear subframe
Removed chrome trim on muffler
Removed 4” from end of chain guard
Tomaselli clip-on handlebars with custom aluminum riser bar and SP Gadgets phone mount with magnetic USB charging cable
G2 quick throttle
Koso Apollo heated grips
CRG Arrow bar end mirrors
Craftman aluminum steering head screw
Black powder coated EBay aluminum brake & shift pedals W/Woodcraft eccentric toe peg mounts
Sato aluminum short shift kit
Sato rod ends on OEM shift rod
Factory Pro Microbearing shift kit
Cyclops 3,800 Lumen LED headlight bulb
JDM ASTAR Extremely Bright 30-EX Chipsets parking light bulb
Motogadget bar end M-Blaze Disc LED & headlight mounted M-Blaze Pin LED turn signals
Adjustable universal flasher
VC0101-DX KTM Duke 200 Visor 99 cut down by 2”
Nakasone single seat cover
Custom fender eliminator using OEM Euro parts & ABS plastic panels W/License plate & LED light mounted behind fender
EBay LED Tail light with integrated turn signals & Supabrake II modulator
Pro-Bolt aluminum fasteners for bodywork
Driven aluminum fuel cap W/Givi tank lock ring for Givi 3D604 tank bag
Antigravity 8-cell lithium battery
KTM Powersports seat recovered with Moto Seat Heater
KTM/Akrapovic ECU map
Dynojet Power Commander V W/WBC2 12.9 AFR Autotune map
Bazzaz O2 Eliminator
Upside-down K&N air filter
Modified MNNTHBX intake cover
Radiused upper lip on air box
Cometic head gasket W/Permatex copper spray
Port & polished head
Port & polish throttle body with half-shaft mod
NGK LKAR8AI-9 spark plug
SPAL radiator fan
OEM HD radiator shroud
Helix Racing 1.6 bar radiator cap
Evans waterless coolant
CPC quick disconnect fuel line
Cerakote Glacier Black ceramic coated exhaust
Silver powder coated shock spring
Black powder coated wheels W/3M Scotchlite orange ¼” reflective stripes
World Wide Bearings hybrid ceramic wheel bearings
Fast Frank Racing front & rear aluminum captive wheel spacers
Frando 15mm brake master cylinder
Frando 17mm clutch master cylinder
Brembo adjustable levers converted to fit Frando master cylinders
Frando 12mm slave cylinder
Custom direct mount smoked front brake & clutch reservoirs
Brembo 15cc smoked rear brake reservoir
Core brake & clutch lines
Galfer 320mm front wave rotor W/matching rear rotor
Galfer HH Sintered brake pads
Speed Bleeders
Castrol SRF brake fluid
Craftman fork height adjusters
Race Tech .85 Kg fork springs
Maxima 7 Wt fork oil
YSS Z-Series rebound adjustable shock W/black 110Nm spring
Dunlop Roadsmart III Tires (160/60ZR-17 & 120/70ZR-17)
Superlite Sprockets (16/45) & DID ERV3 Chain

·
Premium Member
1,023 Posts
Thanks for the kind words but there's no carbon fiber or faux carbon fiber on my bike. The tail piece was made out of fiberglass in Malaysia hence the crappy fit & finish.
bahawton, pretty sure the comment was in reference to the image in this post :D

·
Registered
35 Posts
That makes more sense. I thought that he quoted me so I was confused:nerd:
Sorry for the mix-up : )
For some reason, I failed to quote AndyB's post, but I thought
"Whatever! It's the last post anyway." Turns out it wasn't.

Getting used a new board is somewhat like getting used to a new bike, I guess.
Everything is there, but they work slightly different at times : )

By the way, if you ever decide to sell your Duke with all the mods,
the new owner will be a very lucky man!

·
Registered
1 Posts
When doing the tail tidy mod, are you able to keep your existing blinkers?? I would like to do a tail mod to make my bike look better but, I have some Weiser Technik lights in my turn signals. I want to keep these lights in my indicators because they function as brake lights and indicator lights. Weiser Lights The lights are in my stock housings on a 2015 390 Duke. Please let me know what any of you all did and how it all worked out. Thanks!

·
Registered
135 Posts
When doing the tail tidy mod, are you able to keep your existing blinkers?? I would like to do a tail mod to make my bike look better but, I have some Weiser Technik lights in my turn signals. I want to keep these lights in my indicators because they function as brake lights and indicator lights. Weiser Lights The lights are in my stock housings on a 2015 390 Duke. Please let me know what any of you all did and how it all worked out. Thanks!
I kept mine on the powerparts tail tidy, but I had to cut the frame a bit to allow space for the indicator studs. (Mines a 2016 UK bike with LED indicators as standard.) Scroll up a bit and you will see the images I posted.

101 - 117 of 117 Posts