KTM Duke 390 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Weird comparison between the RE Conti GT and the Duke 390, a 70s styled cafe vs a daft modern naked sportster. Two identically priced bikes and two polarizing experiences.

To put numbers to the difference in performance, the KTM takes 2.7 seconds to 60kmph, the Enfield, 4.3. 5.6s brings up the 100kmph mark on the KTM, the Royal Enfield takes just over twice as long at 12.01 seconds. The KTM, again is just under 40kmph faster flat out. On overall economy, both return 28kmpl.
Ride quality is the perhaps the weakest link on both bikes. The KTM feels rock hard and isn’t above jittering about on bad roads, a skilled rider can mitigate the shocks quite a bit by keeping the throttle gently open though. The Continental GT absorbs the road a lot more than the KTM, but it feels leadfooted in comparison and you have no choice but to slow down and wait it out.
So are we really going to compare the latest and greatest to a gentler 70s style cafe racers? Why yes, we will. But this comparison test has no winners. It is supposed to make you take sides. I’m still brash, still looking for great engine performance and the ultimate handling. So the KTM excites me more than the Continental GT. But Royal Enfield says, and quite persuasively, that others, maybe you, don’t want to be in the rat race. And for people like that, the Continental GT might just be all the motorcycle they’ll ever need.
check out the full piece... Royal Enfield Continental GT Vs KTM 390 Duke - Comparison By Overdrive

·
Registered
264 Posts
THe The Royal Enfield Continental GT is one amazing looking bike, which also has a cool name.
The RE continental is the same price here as the 390. I looked at both and decided I didn't want a bike chassis/engine designed in the 1930s.

I've ridden a RE 500 and they are pretty underpowered (note: I rode a carby version - I believe the new EFI ones are a little pokier).

Saying that it is cool.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The RE continental is the same price here as the 390. I looked at both and decided I didn't want a bike chassis/engine designed in the 1930s.

I've ridden a RE 500 and they are pretty underpowered (note: I rode a carby version - I believe the new EFI ones are a little pokier).

Saying that it is cool.
performance and handling are hands down for the 390 duke, but if your looking for a sporty little play thing the enfield could fit the bill.

as a commuter the RE would be gawd awful with that sport bike crouch in touch and go traffic..

·
Registered
520 Posts

Saying that it is cool.
lol agreed

That Enfield sure is old.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts