KTM Duke 390 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
817 Posts
Had a bit of an issue on yesterday's ride and figure its something to fix when you receive it or if you already have one.
The bolts that hold the rear brake and gear lever onto the foot rests dont have threadlock on them. An easy fix just undo the bolt and be careful of the washer between the lever and mount, put some goo on and place back in. You dont have to disconnect anything but you will have to put the washer back in between it.
I will speak with KTM on Monday as it should be warranty.
New Parts
Lever
2 Bearings
2 Washers
1 Bolt

Some pics.

Makes a mess when it dragges along the ground at 100km/h :rolleyes:

·
Registered
200 Posts
:eek:

So the bolt came loose due to vibration or...?

·
Registered
532 Posts
WOOOOWWWWWWW. Hope the ride back without a rear brake wasn't too eventful. Did you check the other side? would suck if the gear lever rattled itself loose as well...

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Vibrations mate, a guy in Europe noted he had to locktight them in as well.

It was the gear lever that came off, I used the back brake bolts to get home. I dont use the rear brake very often anyway so I didnt really notice it missing.

Ive since fixed it myself while Im waiting for KTM to say if its under warranty, even when thats sorted there is still no parts in Aus anyway so I would be without a bike for a few weeks.......no way!
The bearing is pretty simple its just a standard 608 but the bolt and washer are hard to find.
To make do I have used the bolt and washers from the brake lever on the gear shifter as this is used much more. For the brake lever I used the bolt that you take off when fitting the front fork sliders and a small washer, it will do until the replacement parts arrive.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
If the bolt came loose due to vibration, that kind of scares me, maybe this is something we can apply locktite to in hopes it will help here?

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If the bolt came loose due to vibration, that kind of scares me, maybe this is something we can apply locktite to in hopes it will help here?
When I made the claim at the dealers I pointed out that there was no goo on them and they didnt really believe me. When I walked back in this morning to tell them about the bearing etc they let me know that they pulled the floor bike apart to check and found that there was none on it either. When they rang KTM Australia to let them know that the bikes actually dont have thread lock in those bolts they were told that it will be submitted to the QA/factory etc to be rectified. Im probably not the first person to have it happen but the problem should be corrected by the time your lot arrive.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Thanks @Dan1

For rasing awareness toward the issue. Glad the bolt from the rear brake pedal bracket was the same thread pitch.

Which grade of threadlocker did you end up using? Red or blue?

I'll be sticking this thread so for anyone who encounters this issue would be able to read the cause and solution.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
When I made the claim at the dealers I pointed out that there was no goo on them and they didnt really believe me. When I walked back in this morning to tell them about the bearing etc they let me know that they pulled the floor bike apart to check and found that there was none on it either. When they rang KTM Australia to let them know that the bikes actually dont have thread lock in those bolts they were told that it will be submitted to the QA/factory etc to be rectified. Im probably not the first person to have it happen but the problem should be corrected by the time your lot arrive.
Missed this earlier.

im very surprised they didn't apply thread locker here.
I hate to say it but I have a feeling we're going to see many more cases like this on this forum and others.

BUT with you making a thread like this, people viewing it can do whats needed to prevent this, which is obviously to apply blue thread locker.

·
Registered
519 Posts
thats not good

might be a good idea to check yourself if you have any locker on the threads and apply it yourself if needed. is blue the stronger one or red?

·
Registered
200 Posts
When I use to work at a shop a customer had used red loctite on one of the subframe bolts for whatever reason and the only way to get it off was using a torch to heat up the bolt.

·
Registered
532 Posts
When I use to work at a shop a customer had used red loctite on one of the subframe bolts for whatever reason and the only way to get it off was using a torch to heat up the bolt.
yea red doesn't play around! I'm not sure whats worse to deal with red loctite or JB Weld...

·
Registered
264 Posts
Thanks for this. I checked both the brake and gear lever pivot bolts this morning. Even though the gear lever pivot bolt head had a felt tip marker stroke (indicating either torqued correctly or lock tite fitted?) it was loose. I fixed that one with some blue loctite. The brake pivot bolt was loctited with something? but I upgraded it to blue. The rearset mounting bolts I also checked - only one was loctited on the brake side but the gear lever side both had both loctited. Basically the whole thing is inconsistent and I'd recommend all owners check the pivot bolts on both gear and brake levers. The rear swing arms bolts I also checked but these were so tight I assumed they are ok.

Secondly note that if you take the bolts out the washers are 'one sided' - they have a raised centre section on one side that needs to face the bearing so the lever is not clamped when the bolt is torqued up.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts