KTM Duke 390 Forum banner

KTM Duke Foot Controls Loose Bolt Issue

22K views 22 replies 10 participants last post by  HedsKatoom 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Had a bit of an issue on yesterday's ride and figure its something to fix when you receive it or if you already have one.
The bolts that hold the rear brake and gear lever onto the foot rests dont have threadlock on them. An easy fix just undo the bolt and be careful of the washer between the lever and mount, put some goo on and place back in. You dont have to disconnect anything but you will have to put the washer back in between it.
I will speak with KTM on Monday as it should be warranty.
New Parts
Lever
2 Bearings
2 Washers
1 Bolt

Some pics.

Makes a mess when it dragges along the ground at 100km/h :rolleyes:

See less See more
#4 ·
Vibrations mate, a guy in Europe noted he had to locktight them in as well.

It was the gear lever that came off, I used the back brake bolts to get home. I dont use the rear brake very often anyway so I didnt really notice it missing.

Ive since fixed it myself while Im waiting for KTM to say if its under warranty, even when thats sorted there is still no parts in Aus anyway so I would be without a bike for a few weeks.......no way!
The bearing is pretty simple its just a standard 608 but the bolt and washer are hard to find.
To make do I have used the bolt and washers from the brake lever on the gear shifter as this is used much more. For the brake lever I used the bolt that you take off when fitting the front fork sliders and a small washer, it will do until the replacement parts arrive.

#6 ·
When I made the claim at the dealers I pointed out that there was no goo on them and they didnt really believe me. When I walked back in this morning to tell them about the bearing etc they let me know that they pulled the floor bike apart to check and found that there was none on it either. When they rang KTM Australia to let them know that the bikes actually dont have thread lock in those bolts they were told that it will be submitted to the QA/factory etc to be rectified. Im probably not the first person to have it happen but the problem should be corrected by the time your lot arrive.

#8 ·
Thanks @Dan1

For rasing awareness toward the issue. Glad the bolt from the rear brake pedal bracket was the same thread pitch.

Which grade of threadlocker did you end up using? Red or blue?

I'll be sticking this thread so for anyone who encounters this issue would be able to read the cause and solution.

#20 · (Edited)
Thanks for this. I checked both the brake and gear lever pivot bolts this morning. Even though the gear lever pivot bolt head had a felt tip marker stroke (indicating either torqued correctly or lock tite fitted?) it was loose. I fixed that one with some blue loctite. The brake pivot bolt was loctited with something? but I upgraded it to blue. The rearset mounting bolts I also checked - only one was loctited on the brake side but the gear lever side both had both loctited. Basically the whole thing is inconsistent and I'd recommend all owners check the pivot bolts on both gear and brake levers. The rear swing arms bolts I also checked but these were so tight I assumed they are ok.

Secondly note that if you take the bolts out the washers are 'one sided' - they have a raised centre section on one side that needs to face the bearing so the lever is not clamped when the bolt is torqued up.

#21 ·
loose selector

Hello Bertrand from France, I had the same issue with my duke390, selector came loose while ridding on the Hyw, very dangerous situation... lucky for me the dealer wasn t far and the send me a mechanic to put a new bolt so I could keep going, dealer replaced the selector under warranty a few days later.
after this incident I made sure all bots are secured from time to time

#23 ·
Hi all, same happened to me last weekend. Returning home from a run out, after travelling 80 miles I was within a couple of miles of home and went to change gear and nothing... no gear change, looked down and my foot gear change was missing with just the shifter rod dragging on the road.

Fortunately I had my wits about me and paced myself for the traffic lights so that I could ride through without stopping. I managed to limp home the last couple of miles in 4th.

I went looking for the missing gear lever, but there was no sign of it. Either it had bounced off the road or someone had picked it up.

A call to my dealership and they placed a warranty claim.

I've just received the replacement parts in the post, so I'm going to nip out with the KTM 390 repair manual on my tablet (for torque values) and threadlock the **** out of it all.

So check your gear change people!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.