KTM Duke 390 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heads up this post is very long and almost needlessly in depth. Im just covering every single thinkable aspect of this for anyone that's looking.
I've seen a lot of threads on here about mirrors, and a lot about the KTM power-parts mirrors for the 790/1290 duke. The last I saw about the KTM mirrors was that they had a pair to fit the 790/1290. There was a thread I can't seem to locate for reference to someone using the KTM mirrors and a couple of washers from the hardware to fit the 390. I replaced my mirrors today and wanted to clear up everything about them.
First off is price, I couldn't find pricing anywhere online. Went into my dealership today and found out they are currently 106.99 per mirror.
Second, KTM now includes a black anodized spacer and a properly sized bolt with the kit to fit the 390, voiding the need for the aforementioned washers. (Rather unnecessary to point out but you can see the spacer on the end of the bolt)
Eyewear Communication Device Rectangle Bag Material property

Thirdly, there is a mirror set, ref no. 00010000326 that KTM sells which my dealer didn't have in stock; or the individual mirrors, ref no. 64112940100 which I purchased two of. Whats important about the individual mirrors that I wasn't aware of is the left and right mirror on the same part. You can see in the picture above the mirror on the towel and the one sitll packaged are the same orientation. to use one as a left side mirror you undo the 5 small bolts on the oustide of the mirror and flip the large spacer to the other side. below are the 5 bolts at the base of the mirror in question.
White Light Product Black Automotive tire

Number four, the installation is as straight forward as you would expect. Unbolt the bar end weights, bolt the mirrors on in place. However, with anything simple there is always room for needless technicality, which I graciously sought out. To ensure both mirrors were even with each other, I popped my bike up on the swing-arm stand and used the angle finder to hand tighten both mirrors in place to the same angle (accurate to the stability of my hand and an iPhone gyroscope). I then held them in place while I hit the bolts with an impact driver.
Tire Wheel Vehicle Fuel tank Vehicle registration plate

Fifthly, plugging the holes from the stock mirrors. I know KTM sells the plastic covers but I'm willing to bet they're $10 a piece and I'm not down for that. I have a huge box of generic interior clips and happened to find some that were a perfect fit... almost. They were a little long but i just trimmed them with side cutters and perfect.
White Bag Bicycle handlebar Bicycle part Luggage and bags

Wood Automotive tire Tool Hand tool Hardwood

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Vehicle Hood

I've seen others mention that they have found comparable claps at ace for about a quarter, so I would recommend that.

Lastly, the review. They look 40x better than the stock ans better than any other bar ends that I've seen. The only downside is you're definitely gonna pay for that. As far as use, the visivility is great, I can see more than enough of what's going on behind me. Unfortunately they do vibrate a good bit in the 2,500-3,500 rpm range when slowly accelerating in 1/2/3rd gear. 1st moreso than the rest. (worth noting this is from the handlebars themselves and not the mirrors) When at speed though they're crystal clear anywhere from 30-55 mph around town, I'm sure highway speeds are just the same as the mirrors are very stiff and stable. **Removal of bar end weights and its effect on the handling, I've seen mentions about removing the stock bar end weights and it causing uncomfortable vibrations in the handlebars. I did not find this to be the case and I did not notice any difference between having them on or off.

If you have read this in it's entirety thank you for bearing with my overbearing detail and let me know if you have any further questions.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Nice write up. Vibration is mostly an issue for newer riders who are holding the handlebars too tightly.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts