KTM Duke 390 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Interesting and exciting news coming from KTM India! Upon request, dealers will install factory-approved custom software to alter the performance of Duke machinery.

KTM will initially offer two new mappings for the Duke. The first one is a performance-oriented engine mapping, which will offer increased power and torque and adding to the bikes' nerve. This seems to be one of the most common modifications Indian KTM customers are looking forward to.

The increased performance will lower the overall mpg figures, but that isn't much to trade for losing your warranty. A second available mapping will be an economy-focused one, aimed at improving the mileage, while obviously reducing the overall power deployment and making the Dukes a bit more mellow, but offering more miles for the buck.

The mappings have a yet unknown price, and the warranty of the bikes will not be affected and in case defects occur, they will be treated as usual.

Pretty cool that you get a choice of different versions of the same bike. What mapping will you choose?

·
Registered
209 Posts
It would be fantastic to have a hardware switch to change mapping according to one's mood. ....today I feel like Rossi.

·
Premium Member
169 Posts
Yess, the news is creating a lot of buzz here.
What needs to awaited is the pricing - the powerparts have been ridiculously priced here(on the higher side).
I would definitely go for the perf. oriented one.
Doubt if they are allowing a hardware mechanism to switch maps on the fly.

·
Registered
533 Posts
no theres not, you have to go back to the dealer to get them to remap. I assume the cost is only going to be labor...

On another note you know its only a matter of time before we see bikes offered with sport modes. I know there are alady bikes with selectable ECU mapping, but I'm talking like the stuff we see in autos. You flick into sport mode and the suspension changes, gear ratios change, all the good stuff :D

THAT would be sweet

·
Premium Member
169 Posts
no theres not, you have to go back to the dealer to get them to remap. I assume the cost is only going to be labor...

On another note you know its only a matter of time before we see bikes offered with sport modes. I know there are alady bikes with selectable ECU mapping, but I'm talking like the stuff we see in autos. You flick into sport mode and the suspension changes, gear ratios change, all the good stuff :D

THAT would be sweet
ROFL, you got quite an imagination friend, gotta give that :p
I think the Adventure has selectable drive mode switches near the instrument panel. But frankly, seems to much to expect for the D390 right now.
Interestingly, I called up on of the dealers couple of weeks ago and he did say there is a new map but the ECU flashing machine sent to him was malfunctioning. Meanwhile, I get to hear that few D390s are riding much much tame and mellowed down after their service. So equating these two news, I am wondering if KTM has flashed these bikes with the Economy version of the map.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Meanwhile, I get to hear that few D390s are riding much much tame and mellowed down after their service. So equating these two news, I am wondering if KTM has flashed these bikes with the Economy version of the map.
I read about this too. However, AFAIK this was done free of cost so i doubt whether the two are related. (Unless they are testing the maps on unsuspecting victims :D)

The owners did complain of the bike feeling much tamer and mellow as you mentioned.

·
Registered
264 Posts
ROFL, you got quite an imagination friend, gotta give that :p
I think the Adventure has selectable drive mode switches near the instrument panel. But frankly, seems to much to expect for the D390 right now.
Interestingly, I called up on of the dealers couple of weeks ago and he did say there is a new map but the ECU flashing machine sent to him was malfunctioning. Meanwhile, I get to hear that few D390s are riding much much tame and mellowed down after their service. So equating these two news, I am wondering if KTM has flashed these bikes with the Economy version of the map.
The D690 has a three position switch that changes the throttle mappings (I think - nothing else). Apparently in sport it's virtually unsafe in the city.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just feel that I wouldn't want either of these new mappings. I want the bike to be fun but I also don't want it to be unusable in the city where I do most, if not all, of my riding. It sounds like both of the new mappings would not be something I like, but I would still want to try them out to see for myself.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Fit a PT and you can have all the maps you want, Id like a switch but the system can only support one map at a time. But its certainly possible with some tweaking and development.

The 690 switches basically change the agressivenes of the throttle like a quick throttle does, due to being ride by wire this is the only way you can do it. Most of the people I know have it switched to Sport mode.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You’ve read recently on various websites and blogs that KTM intends to shortly start selling alternative engine maps for the Duke allowing you to adopt a map that’s closer to your use pattern. We have confirmation now that this story is just untrue. Technically possible, for sure, but just not happening in India.
That's too bad. Now that people got excited about it, I wonder if they will change their mind since they can now see how much interest there is.

·
Registered
4 Posts
nice india by ktm,since power parts are outrageously priced here cant wait to see the pircing on this.none the less i would definetely pick the performance map over economy.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
At this point we are just trying to figure out if KTM has any intention of doing this at all. I think that this may have been false reporting or a rumor. Has anyone heard of KTM doing this in India. I would imagine that it would be a pretty popular thing to do if it was available.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
nice india by ktm,since power parts are outrageously priced here cant wait to see the pircing on this.none the less i would definetely pick the performance map over economy.
at least then it will make riding more fun and make the fuel consumption more worth it and justified!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts