KTM Duke 390 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just test ride the bike after doing brakes & oil n filter, the fuelling is bloody terrible! (This was the first time it’s been ridden since purchase) I do have the original exhaust that I could try but I’m guessing the issue is because of the free flowing system? What’s the easiest fix, not chasing power just want smoothness

·
Registered
539 Posts
either get an Rapid Bike Easy or something like that or get an actual tunable piggy back. These bikes are already CRAZY lean from the factory, you will need something to add more fuel for sure.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
either get an Rapid Bike Easy or something like that or get an actual tunable piggy back. These bikes are already CRAZY lean from the factory, you will need something to add more fuel for sure.
I take it they are all pretty much the same? I’ll probably stick a K&N filter in too but that’ll be as far as timing goes

·
Registered
443 Posts
Stock or piggyback. You can’t ride it as is. Well you can but it won’t be for long. But people moan about stock not being smooth at lower revs so if smooth is your criteria then it looks like only one course is open if you want to keep the bike.

General consensus appears to say no improvement from K&N so may as well stay stock filter.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Stock or piggyback. You can’t ride it as is. Well you can but it won’t be for long.

General consensus appears to say no improvement from K&N so may as well stay stock filter.
Agreed, bike won’t be ridden until something is done. Thanks for the tip about K&N, I’ve just reading someone’s review of the DNA filter, Sounds like it works well

·
Premium Member
1,011 Posts
Where are you located @Garry&Deb ?

I've been very happy with Dynojet Power Commander and the requisite map for your configuration.

Makes a world of difference in reliability and can be tweaked further as desired for additional mods in future etc.

Got mine originally from @cjwells at Commonwealth Moto.

·
Premium Member
1,011 Posts

·
Registered
443 Posts
K&N work great on gen 1 bikes. I was assuming this was a gen 2 bike. Probably worth confirming before inappropriate advice is acted upon.

·
Registered
136 Posts
As you probably know, a free flowing exhaust and a performance air filter both contribute to higher air flow through the engine. The engine is already lean from the factory, by installing these mods you make the jerkiness *worse*.

As Mirius and 1jzsupra said, if you want to keep those mods and have a smooth bike, you need to tell the ECU to give more fuel to account for all that extra air. The only way to do it is through a piggyback fuel controller, which is an expensive, but proper fix.

I guess the easiest and cheapest way this could be approached without going through the ordeal of tuning etc. is to install a BoosterPlug or a Rapid Bike Easy. Both are well documented on the forum. These are relatively simple cheat devices that make the stock ECU think it needs to provide more fuel.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm in UK CDN - I'll update our profile.

I won't be doing any more tuning mods after this....... until Deb asks anyway!! lol

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
As you probably know, a free flowing exhaust and a performance air filter both contribute to higher air flow through the engine. The engine is already lean from the factory, by installing these mods you make the jerkiness *worse*.

As Mirius and 1jzsupra said, if you want to keep those mods and have a smooth bike, you need to tell the ECU to give more fuel to account for all that extra air. The only way to do it is through a piggyback fuel controller, which is an expensive, but proper fix.

I guess the easiest and cheapest way this could be approached without going through the ordeal of tuning etc. is to install a BoosterPlug or a Rapid Bike Easy. Both are well documented on the forum. These are relatively simple cheat devices that make the stock ECU think it needs to provide more fuel.
Thanks Big Mac.
totally get that if I want to fix it, I have to fix it right. I'm not bothered about (to an extent) about the cost, I am more wanting to get the right part, by that I don't want to spend more on a very technical/adjustable unit that I will never benefit from as I will not be doing any more than the exhaust & air filter.

I have just spoken with Calsport about the Rapid Bike Easy, he said it is very good at fixing the low to mid range where the ECU gets all the info from the lambda sensor, but the high rpm range the easy will not have any influence. He said that as I have a decat, he would be concerned that the high range 'could' still be lean - he was trying to be as honest as he could. Do most people who have the Easy, have it fitted with a decat and be problem free?

I did notice yesterday that when I was riding it, at higher rpm & WOT, she did seem to pull clean & well.

·
Super Moderator
1,048 Posts
We do not know if "most" of the Duke/RC riders use the RBE, it certainly seems though that most mainly North Americans use this device and according to most stories with no complaints.
You might want to have a look at the PowerTRONIC piggyback as this device also incorporates the ignition control and offers (optional) a up-shift quick shifter if so desired.
PowerTRONIC is a sponsor of our forum.
Bear in mind that most Duke/RC riders are not on this forum.
You may have a look at the unit here, at $299:
https://powertronicecu.com/product/powertronic-ktm-duke-390-2012-2016/
I heard good things about the K&N air filters though I use a DNA air filter made in Greece.
Good luck.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Yeah you really got 3 solutions - From easiest and cheapest to most configurable and most expensive

1) Booster Plug
2) Rapid Bike Easy
3) Power Commander

·
Super Moderator
1,048 Posts
I recently read that EJK is also doing a fueler for our bikes but can not find more info.
Booster Plug, fools the ECU in thinking the ambient temp is colder than it really is @ $ 157.95
RBEasy, fueler @ $ 200.00
PowerTRONIC, fuel & ignition management @ $ 299.00 (fully customer adjustable)
Power Commander, fuel + ignition? @ 375.99
RB Evo, Fuel + Ignition? @ $ 525.00
Coober, Fuel & Ignition @ $ 525.28 (only 2nd Gen but with Factory warranty, not customer adjustable)
RB Racing, fuel + ignition @ 695.00

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
We do not know if "most" of the Duke/RC riders use the RBE, it certainly seems though that most mainly North Americans use this device and according to most stories with no complaints.
You might want to have a look at the PowerTRONIC piggyback as this device also incorporates the ignition control and offers (optional) a up-shift quick shifter if so desired.
PowerTRONIC is a sponsor of our forum.
Bear in mind that most Duke/RC riders are not on this forum.
You may have a look at the unit here, at $299:
https://powertronicecu.com/product/powertronic-ktm-duke-390-2012-2016/
I heard good things about the K&N air filters though I use a DNA air filter made in Greece.
Good luck.
What I meant by most, was those (however many with the RBE) have a decat fitted. Sorry for the ambiguity.

I shall look at the Powertronic............... :)

·
Super Moderator
1,048 Posts
Well, in general, I think the reason for most to add a piggyback is because they have changed the in- outlet system.
There will be the odd person who wants the revs to increase but that will only be a few.
For some, the "jerkiness" in too low rev riding is the reason.

What I meant by most, was those (however many with the RBE) have a decat fitted. Sorry for the ambiguity.

I shall look at the Powertronic............... :)

·
Registered
230 Posts
I recently read that EJK is also doing a fueler for our bikes but can not find more info.
Booster Plug, fools the ECU in thinking the ambient temp is colder than it really is @ $ 157.95
RBEasy, fueler @ $ 200.00
PowerTRONIC, fuel & ignition management @ $ 299.00 (fully customer adjustable)
Power Commander, fuel + ignition? @ 375.99
RB Evo, Fuel + Ignition? @ $ 525.00
Coober, Fuel & Ignition @ $ 525.28 (only 2nd Gen but with Factory warranty, not customer adjustable)
RB Racing, fuel + ignition @ 695.00
now THAT is a list... :)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts