KTM Duke 390 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I am in need of a front rim for the wife's D390. The dealer says they will not be available until late October. Anyone have one or know of one in stock somewhere? USA only, please.

This is what happens when you run your baby through a 4 x 4 x 1.5 foot deep sharp-edged concrete sump. Which was unmarked, uncovered, and the tall orange cone that was supposed to be at its corner was missing. Not another ding on the bike that I can find. I did manage to keep it up. I'm suffering a bit now, though.

Attachments

·
Registered
276 Posts
Heard all of those horror stories about Indian bikes breaking their rims. Thought KTM had fixed the issue for export bikes :S. Sorry to hear about your mishap. Glad everyone is okay and the dukey is okay too other than the rim. Good on you for holing her up and not causing anymore damage. Sorry, can't help you out with locating a new rim though.

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
Zippy, Very sorry to hear about your unfortunate encounter with an unmarked road excavation. The dimensions of that sharp-edged hole suggest that any rim - car or bike - unlucky enough to wander into this obstacle would have emerged with damage. Congratulations on holding the bike up - anyone who experienced such a sudden mishap would be shaken up, but I hope you were not actually injured.

I suggest you comb the internet in search of a rim - e.g., Google, eBay, Amazon, Craigslist and cycle salvage operations. Perhaps you could find a 17" rim from some other make of bike that would fit on an interim basis until you can obtain a genuine replacement. You might have to fabricate some shims or spacers, but that should not be difficult for an experienced hand like yourself. You might also try the RC forum (KTM RC390 Forum) - those folks change out a lot of parts.

Bad news for your Duke, but good news that you came out in one piece.
Best wishes, Will

·
Registered
11 Posts
Sorry to hear of the broken rim,,,good riding experience and a little luck thrown in kept you from dropping the bike,,,whew!!! i've been mulling it over in my mind about switching the machine to wire wheels,,that may be an option you may want to persue till a cast wheel is available,,always nice to have a spare wheel or two anyways

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the sympathy, guys. I am not having any luck with fleabay, etc.; there is one black rim in Oz that the seller wants way too much for, even before adding shipping. I'll try the RC forum, or wait. I'm in no condition to ride anything right now, anyway. Can barely walk!

I am convinced that no bike (or even car) wheel would have done much better. As for other damage, so far it looks like nothing else got bent or broken. Even the little chin fairing seems untouched. I think this indicates that the bike is fairly stout. The front forks bottomed hard, moved the little ziptie all the way down, but the seals seem okay. The dealer quoted me $248 for the wheel; I've paid almost that much for a bare rim from Buchanan's. So crash repair seems to fit the overall "cheap and cheerful" nature of the little beast.

Come to think of it, it's time to order a floating front rotor and some Alpha 13s. Might as well...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Ive been looking for parts in general for this machine and it has me a little concerned,,,i did the hyper super exclusive exotic thing a few times before,,,parts availability is something high on my desireability list,,,no panic it's a concern,,,it's a popular bike the dealers cant keep them in stock so it's a good sign,,,but every part should be available and on the counter in 3 weeks max,,,and i'd like it better in 1-1 1/2,,,also ebay has almost none

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
The Duke is a new bike for the NA market, only been available for a few months. Dealers have never sold, serviced or stocked parts for this machine previously. It has proven popular. The supply chain likely is not yet up to speed, but with a little time things will adjust. I'm sure that by this time next year parts availability will be much better.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The Duke is a new bike for the NA market, only been available for a few months. Dealers have never sold, serviced or stocked parts for this machine previously. It has proven popular. The supply chain likely is not yet up to speed, but with a little time things will adjust. I'm sure that by this time next year parts availability will be much better.
This has nothing to do with dealers, rather KTM itself. No dealer stocks a lot of parts, they order them. I can get anything I need for my Ducati in a week, straight from Italy. But I waited two months for my tank grip stickers, now another two months for a wheel? These bikes have been in production for years! They are cheaping out at the expense of their customers.

·
Registered
916 Posts
This has nothing to do with dealers, rather KTM itself. No dealer stocks a lot of parts, they order them. I can get anything I need for my Ducati in a week, straight from Italy. But I waited two months for my tank grip stickers, now another two months for a wheel? These bikes have been in production for years! They are cheaping out at the expense of their customers.

Yep, I 've been waiting for my RC filler cap for a while now.
Big ups for not stacking it mate. You may want to check your head bearings while you are at it. An impact that hard could of flat spotted them.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
On the way!

Good advice, Hoover; I've ridden a bike where the (ball) races had flat spotted, and it makes the bike weave. But I have it up on a front stand (under the steering column), and it turns smoothly. I assume they are taper rollers, which would be harder to hurt. I am still amazed that nothing else seems to be bent or damaged. These things are built to be crashworthy, aren't they?

Okay, update. The parts manager at the local dealer (where I bought the bike) called back and said that KTM told him the 8 week number was overly pessimistic; it would be on the way in less than three. Then he offered me a substantial discount, so I added the PP floating rotor. For which he also quoted a great discount. So I gave him my card number and told him that I was a customer again.

Thanks all for the sympathy, though. I'm feeling better today. Especially now!

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
I'm glad things are shaping up and help is on the way, Zippy!

Speaking of steering head bearings, check out this recent post from Didi:

http://www.ktmduke390forum.com/forum/issues-troubleshooting/19082-problem-steering-head-bearings.html

The Duke uses caged ball bearings. In my experience, these work fine, but are not as robust as tapered roller bearings. My Guzzi V50 had uncaged ball bearings in the headstock for many years, and they worked without a problem until I finally changed them out for tapered rollers. I predict that before long some aftermarket supplier will come out with a kit to convert the Duke's head bearings to tapered rollers. Until then, it would be a good idea to check your head bearings for grease.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hmm, that looked bad. I'm surprised they did not use taper rollers, as that would be the proper spec for a race bike. I'll check them carefully.

Wonder if the RC is the same...probably.

·
Registered
11 Posts
looking for a front rim

My point exactly,,,this bike has been in production for a few years now,,,parts should be available,,,they are new to the american market but world wide sales have been ongoing,,,i have a genuine stella indian made,,,the local dealer for it looks at me like i have 6 heads when i want to order anything for it,,i get them online,,,funny enough (not really all that funny) they are the same dealer for the duke,,,so i have my concerns about parts,,and when i go online (mostly ebay),,i'm getting nothing ,,,i love the bike and haven't even ridden it yet,,,and i went thru the dark times with ducati when they went belly up,,,parts were almost nonexistant,,,i waited 4 months for a front wheel for a paso i was riding,,,

·
Registered
11 Posts
Zippy i just read your last post great news!!! thats more like it,,,3 even 4 weeks is reasonable,,,8 or more is not,,,,

1 - 15 of 15 Posts