KTM Duke 390 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2015 390 just passed 10,000 km’s, halfway through my ride yesterday the valves were very loud and it stalled a few times. Came straight back, tightened up the timing chain but still same noise.
Maybe one of the shims came out or broken rocker, tensionner slide... I’ll be taking off valve cover to see, any ideas?
Can I drain the gas or do I have to siphon it out before removing the tank?
How can I attach an audio file?

·
Registered
694 Posts
Well l certainly wouldn't ride the bike any further until you've had the valve cover off to investigate.
Silly question l know but, did you check the engine oil level?

·
Registered
563 Posts
Have a look at my old thread here:

See if this might be your problem.

There was another thread on here too where a guy had rocker problems. As for your gas tank, I always leave everything connected. I lift the tank and use a tall step stool on the left side of the bike. This I rest the tank between the frame of the bike and the stool while I do my work. I don't like messing with the hoses as plastic nipples tend to break, so I leave all of that alone.

You could record a video, put it on youtube and then post a link here as well, but I agree with lightning... I couldn't run it any more.

When was your last valve shim check?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oil is still full, I checked it as soon as I cut my music out at the gas station and heard the valves. I pulled the tensionner out before tightening and it’s ok (No damage to pin)
I actually bought the bike with 1500km and assumed the valves were checked....
Thanks for the gas tank tip I’ll pull it off this week as soon as I get some free time.
At least I had a fun ride, about an hour before I noticed the noise I got pulled over for wheelieing across an intersection and got let off the hook, cool cop he told me tickets 1500$ holy crap!

·
Super Moderator
1,236 Posts
On the first Gen bikes, you can just disconnect the fuel line and lift the complete fuel tank off.
The spill is minimal as the petrol tank's content will be kept in by the fuel pump.

·
Registered
694 Posts
l wouldn't think that the valve clearance would suddenly go out of tolerance to make such a loud noise, unless something has broken.
ls the engine still running OK apart from the noise?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I made it back home at least 30km and the bike felt fine except wanting to stall at idle.
I did just realize today when checking the tensionner again that the spring action no longer works, I can adjust the plunger in and out with the screw but it stays wherever I leave it and doesn’t lock when all the way in. That’s why I originally assumed it was ok, no apparent damage but didn’t know it’s supposed to be a spring tensionner. I ordered another along with valve shims and valve cover gasket but I think I’ll try the new Tensionner before opening the top.
Thanks!

·
Registered
378 Posts
On the first Gen bikes, you can just disconnect the fuel line and lift the complete fuel tank off.
The spill is minimal as the petrol tank's content will be kept in by the fuel pump.
Same on gen 2, just disconnect after the fuel pump and only a few spoons of gas leak out. I usually put a few paper shop towels under the disconnect points to avoid it leaking everywhere.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Visibly the tensionner was ok but the spring was broken (looks so cheap) and my dealer told me today it’s back order and delivery mid-December for the part.
Here’s the modification to run with the old one; rip out the guts and thread the end 3/8’’

Test it out tonight and see how it goes. The cap nut is welded onto the end of the rod.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Welding a nut or extending the tensioner is the worst thing to do. It's advisable as a temporary patch, in the long run, it will eat the pads and if that nut jumps and falls inside, you're doomed. Get it replaced, while also inspecting your camshafts and valve clearances.

Good luck.

Cheers!
VJ

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My mod is a straight copy from ktm Europe parts that aren’t available in Canada. My tensionner is ajustable and the nut can’t fall in because it’s welded onto the rod and min length is same If ever the threads rip out. I adjusted it by ear last but and runs and sounds good cold and hot. Check out this ktm powerpart:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My mod is a straight copy from ktm Europe parts that aren’t available in Canada. My tensionner is ajustable and the nut can’t fall in because it’s welded onto the rod and min length is same If ever the threads rip out. Check out this ktm powerpart:

·
Registered
513 Posts
That’s an aftermarket part on a US website not KTM Powerparts. Quite a few people run those manual tensioners. I’m sure they ship to Canada.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts