KTM Duke 390 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey there guys!

I've been a bit away riding the duke, and having a great time.

But, since a few months ago (Jan/Feb 2017) I noticed a metallic noise coming from the engine. It was quite more silent at the time and since the oil had just been changed (and was clear, and the engine/bike was new) I didn't mind too much.

Problem is, the noise started to get louder and louder as I rode during the past months, increasing progressively over time to a point that it's very noticeable now. A few things I've noticed:

- It is a metallic noise (clicking/rattling) clearly coming from the engine
- It's clearly louder also from the left side of the engine (so apparently no cam chain?)
- It increases with revs. At idlle is almost not noticeable, but as soon as you rev it stands out
- Does not change or is affected by gears (it's always there on all gears, and neutral)
- It's almost not there when the engine is cold. During the minutes the engine is warming up it gets progressively louder
- I didn't notice a power loss, but again as this is progressive I might have gotten used to it and may not be able to tell
- The bike works well otherwise (hasn't stalled for quite a few months now in fact)

I've shot a video of it today. Check below, my phone did a great job in capturing it, the noise it's VERY noticeable in th evideo - in mind in real life is a *bit* more silent in fact:

I've searched around the web and found other cases of the same issue, so it's not just mine:

https://youtu.be/2Jdtig-7UQE
https://youtu.be/yPYZllQ9USc

Now here's the thing: I've taken to the dealer a few weeks ago (https://www.goldcoastmotorsports.com, I'm in NYC) to be valve-adjusted and asked them to check the noise, and they said there was no noise ??!! As you can see the video says otherwise.

The bike is a 2015 Duke and has only 3.3k miles, with Bazzaz + K&N fuel, stock exhaust, and open air lid for some time (closed air lid as of some weeks ago) and as for my last oil change (a couple of months ago, recommended Motorex by KTM) the oil screen was pretty clear (as was the oil), so nothing saying the engine is chewing up from inside.

I'm taking it to the dealer again to be checked, will show them the video and post updates here.

If you have tips on what I should ask them (honestly I don't trust them a lot due to the last failure to notice such obvious noise), or if you had a similar problem I'd be greatly appreciated ......

Thanks

·
Registered
72 Posts
Take it somewhere else.. sounds like those guys are not very good.. perhaps valves.. but if it has got wore periodically then my attention would be on the cam chain tensioner.. I changed my to a manual one as when the automatic ones go.. they go in a big way.. Hope that helps..

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
I think the first thing to check is the valve clearances. Your dealer apparently glossed over this important item, not wanting to undertake the rather tedious warranty job. This is really not a good commentary on your dealer's reliability or scruples. If the dealer refuses to check the valves again, I strongly suggest you look for another dealer.

·
Registered
46 Posts
My first thought when I read your post was, how much do you trust your dealership; more specifically, the shop in the back? I know for me, they are two vastly different enterprises. The front of the house is fantastic. I wouldn't let the dealer's shop touch my bike.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Sorry to hear about your problem... Obviously it's not a normal sound. You sure would think that it's not timing chain if the sound is more on the left, however, sounds can often migrate a lot so I'd think it's not completely out of the question. I had the chain and tensioner wear out on an old Honda and the sound was similar. I agree, valve clearance would be good to check, but the noise does seem a little higher pitched than I'd expect from valve clearances. Ultimately I'm thinking if it is valves, something may have broken or come out (valve shim cup/valve shim, broken valve spring, valve spring keeper jumped out), as the noise seems much too loud for simple valve clearance out of spec. However, the latter two explanations should cause noticeable performance degradation I would think. One good thing if I'm wrong and it's simply valve clearances... Too loose is much better than too tight when it comes to valve damage from a burnt valve on a too tight lash. Let us know what you find out. I wish you the best.
I think I'm going to go change the oil on mine now! (Not that it's related, I just start hearing loud noises from mine when I read about other's noises. Always been sensitive to noises. As a kid, first go to was change the oil, second adjust the valves. Valves were never loose. In fact I now adjust every valve in car, bike, etc to the most loose spec suggested. They're all quiet. I learned, for me, what I thought was valve tick never was! Still may be in your case though.)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks a lot for the responses guys, it gives me some sort of a relief while I can't figure out what's going on.

@jiri: I'd love to, but here in the NYC there are only 2x dealers, one in Queens, and nother in NJ, and going all the way to NJ is a major PITA (1h+ trip with heavy traffic, tolls, and crossing manhattan). And I don't know other shops that would work on a KTM... I'm thinking on cam chain too, but the noise is much louder on the left :/

@Diploman: Thanks a lot for the input. But the problem is, I took to the dealer weeks ago to exactly do that, and they (1) said valves were within specs and no need to adjust (after charging 370$), and (2) there was no unusual noise.

@mandatedmotorvation: exactly. I have no idea how the shop in the back works, or even who to talk with as the front guys deal with you ... again if I knew another good shop that works on KTM I'd gladly take my money where my bike would be well taken care of.

@Voldo Taki: I know! (scary google reviews...) But in NYC they are the only ones, we're basically stuck to that (not sure if KTM sells engine parts to non-authorized shops)... and geez that's a nasty engine failure, I hope mine doesn't explode :O

@66chevelless511: thanks for the great inputs! What you said about the cam chain is the same a friend told me, could be the internal engine echoing the sound to the left. And the insights about valves noise also are great, I'll make sure to point that out to the dealer (or whoever) while they do the check.

@newyorkien: Thanks! At least the noise is so obvious they can't deny is not there ...

Anyone from NYC that knows a good shop here that will work on our bikes ?

I'll for sure keep you guys posted on how things go. Fingers crossed.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I feel bad that you're thinking your trapped to that nonsense.

Those folks have so much more on the line, normally charge less, and offer a handshake at the end of their work. They're forced to look in you in the eye and tell you what they have/have not done to your bike. I'm not saying dealerships don't have honest, hard working folk back there but there is something impersonal about the office fella reading off of a ticket vs the mechanic pointing out the details...

Best advice I can give anybody that has problems with their dealership shop is to develop a relationship with a local, mechanic guru. They're out there!

My fella helps me put everything back together once I've F'ed everything up trying to fix it on my own!!

·
Registered
72 Posts
In all honesty.. once your warranty runs out, learn how to do it yourself.. that way you have only yourself to blame and most if all you can be confident that the work has been done correctly. Plenty of how to videos on YouTube and plenty of guys right here on this forum with wealth of knowledge and experience from all around the world to help you complete your task at hand.. as unfortunately these days honesty, integrity and general pride in doing the right thing for your customer has all but been lost..

·
Registered
127 Posts
Mine sounds pretty rough too - but the nasty noise stops when you pull the clutch in - apparantly normal!?
Does that change the noise coming from yours at all?

·
Registered
375 Posts
Mine start to make the noise as well. Since I´m a DIY addicted and do NOT trust in dealers I bought a stethoscope, not for doctors, and I will try to find exactly where is coming the noise and what is the real cause. It will arrive until Friday, I hope.
I will take some time but I think that trust in dealers is not good for my heart :) :) :)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Thanks a lot for the inputs guys.

Now I haven't been able to take it to the shop yet, but searching around I've found the video below, which is *exactly* the same noise, but from another KTM engine (450 trail). Check the comments, seems like offroad KTM owners (whose engines probably share a lot of with ours) experience this weird noise a lot:

The guy did a battery of open-engine checks/swaps to no avail:

- Cam Chain Tensioner adjusted/changed: no luck (though in the comments others say this fixed)
- Valves checked: within specs, and still noise
- Primary gear & nut check: in great shape (though this https://youtu.be/KipHrQ4XsEg and this https://youtu.be/c60_uF-K8SQ look interesting)

Someone suggested cam chain guide rails being worn out, but no further inputs after that.

I've also found reports of such noise from bigger dukes (single cylinder ones).

@mandatedmotorvation : completely agreed! And searching I might give these guys a try, they have great reviews and say work on European brands Speed Motorcycle. Up in bronx so an easy ride there and I can subway back (I can't from the KTM dealer easily).

@jiri : I'm that type of person too, and have always DIY'ed my things. However, living in NYC this is not an ordinary task. Living in an apartment without the proper tools/workbench/etc (and having the bike parked 5 blocks away at a 110$ a month cost) greatly limits any work on it :/

@AndyB : thanks for the inputs. I've carefully monitored this, and is seems totally unrelated to the clutch: the noise is there in any gear, and in neutral, and with clutch pulled or not. The noise is directly related to engine revs, and sounds louder at some revs (so sounds like the rattling resonates more at some rev frequencies, suggesting that indeed is something mechanical)

@LNICK : that's a nice idea!! Thanks for the input, and nice to know someone here from BR too :) Let me know any findings you might have from your "hearing" !!

As soon as I have some inputs here I'll update you guys. And the saga continues....

·
Registered
375 Posts
Mine start to make the noise as well. Since I´m a DIY addicted and do NOT trust in dealers I bought a stethoscope, not for doctors, and I will try to find exactly where is coming the noise and what is the real cause. It will arrive until Friday, I hope.
I will take some time but I think that trust in dealers is not good for my heart :) :) :)
Sorry guys but my noise came from a small metallic spacer located in the led lights that I installed.
Good for me but I did not discovery the root of the engine noise.
Luis

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey there guys!

I've been a bit away riding the duke, and having a great time.

But, since a few months ago (Jan/Feb 2017) I noticed a metallic noise coming from the engine. It was quite more silent at the time and since the oil had just been changed (and was clear, and the engine/bike was new) I didn't mind too much.

Problem is, the noise started to get louder and louder as I rode during the past months, increasing progressively over time to a point that it's very noticeable now. A few things I've noticed:

• It is a metallic noise (clicking/rattling) clearly coming from the engine
  • It's clearly louder also from the left side of the engine (so apparently no cam chain?)
  • It increases with revs. At idlle is almost not noticeable, but as soon as you rev it stands out
  • Does not change or is affected by gears (it's always there on all gears, and neutral)
  • It's almost not there when the engine is cold. During the minutes the engine is warming up it gets progressively louder
  • I didn't notice a power loss, but again as this is progressive I might have gotten used to it and may not be able to tell
  • The bike works well otherwise (hasn't stalled for quite a few months now in fact)
I've shot a video of it today. Check below, my phone did a great job in capturing it, the noise it's VERY noticeable in th evideo - in mind in real life is a bit more silent in fact:

I've searched around the web and found other cases of the same issue, so it's not just mine:

Now here's the thing: I've taken to the dealer a few weeks ago (Gold Coast Motorsports - Used Motorcycles, Service, and Parts in New Hyde Park, NY, near Elmont, Mineola, and Hempstead, I'm in NYC) to be valve-adjusted and asked them to check the noise, and they said there was no noise ??!! As you can see the video says otherwise.

The bike is a 2015 Duke and has only 3.3k miles, with Bazzaz + K&N fuel, stock exhaust, and open air lid for some time (closed air lid as of some weeks ago) and as for my last oil change (a couple of months ago, recommended Motorex by KTM) the oil screen was pretty clear (as was the oil), so nothing saying the engine is chewing up from inside.

I'm taking it to the dealer again to be checked, will show them the video and post updates here.

If you have tips on what I should ask them (honestly I don't trust them a lot due to the last failure to notice such obvious noise), or if you had a similar problem I'd be greatly appreciated ......

Thanks

·
Registered
9 Posts
Did anyone ever discover this sound issue? I got a used Duke a few weeks ago and plan to take it to a dealer down the street when they have a spot for me next weeek, but last night while riding i noticed about 30 min in the same noise coming from the left side of the bike. Later I wanna check and see if it’s perhaps my plate on the back rattling but doubt it. The noise sounds so similar to the vids here. If anyone had got answers i can tell them to check out lemme know please!

·
Registered
439 Posts
I got a rattling noise for years, especially when engine was very hot. I checked everything nothing was loose. One day I found that the rattling was coming from the little plate from the stock exhaust muffler.

Sent from my ASUS_X00HD using Tapatalk

·
Registered
59 Posts
Getting similar sound and search brought me here. 2019 bought in Feb, now 2300+ miles. Did two oil changes so far. MIVV exhaust is loud, but a few weeks ago the engine noise started to get my attention. Assumed it was something that I didn't notice before, and only after being more familiar with the bike my ears started tuning in?? I dunno. On my ride back from work today, there was an obvious and sudden increase in engine noise, now I'm getting concerned. TBH, not sure if this would be covered under warranty considering the exhaust and piggyback ECU. I don't have a problem taking the engine off and doing a valve adjustment, but would like a little more reassurance or even a little guidance as to what this tinging sound is. Should I keep riding it?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Here's my vid. I temporarily put a cheap chinese dB-killer in the exhaust for this shot. One rev at the end to demonstrate the engine noise. Next rev and the engine quit. End of vid. Sure sounds the same as everyone else's.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts