KTM Duke 390 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Post #3 of this thread has link to manuals. I have a 2019 but pretty sure 2018 is very similar, if not exact. Pages 250 - 258 have the disassembly, check, adjust, and reassembly instructions for valve clearances. I didn't think it would be that difficult - gotta love single cylinder engines!! I was mostly happy to see that the engine does not have be be dropped.
Anyway, think I'll call the dealer tomorrow and see what they say regarding warranty. If they say no, well, it's a 3-day weekend coming up - should have time to fix it (if indeed it's just the valves) and ride too.

·
Registered
455 Posts
I had a similar noise when I had loose cam tensioner. Readjust the tensioner.

Sent from my ASUS_X00HD using Tapatalk

·
Registered
110 Posts
Just to button this up and let everyone know what went wrong - the spark plug electrode broke off, and the cam follower on one of the exhaust valves broke off. Most likely the shard of metal off the spark plug interfered with the exhaust valve on its way out, and somehow weakened the cam follower arm, which eventually broke maybe close to 1000 miles after the spark plug broke. That's my best theory anyway.

·
Registered
578 Posts
So did the valve "keeper" as they are known break? Or did it pop off the seat? You are lucky you didn't drop that valve.

·
Registered
110 Posts
So did the valve "keeper" as they are known break? Or did it pop off the seat? You are lucky you didn't drop that valve.
The keeper looks ok as far as I can tell. The shim that sits above the keeper was found floating about the engine, that's the round piece I'm holding in the top left of the pic.

Also, where is the arm lol
Right, that is what I was trying to point out. It completely broke off. I forgot to take a pic of the cam, but the arm wore a deep groove around the cam. The mechanic is now disassembling basically the entire engine because he could not find the bits from the broken cam arm. I'm really glad I didn't tackle this myself now, I would've been even more, like, WTF?! :oops:

·
Registered
1 Posts
I think I have a similar issue 😞
The video doesn't do it justice, but the engine sounds highly unusual. My first though was something like an exhaust leak, that something came loose in the exhaust system - in person it sounds like it. But on more consideration there does seem to be some kind of ticking noise - this is more obvious in the video though. Noise came on suddenly from one day to the next - first noticed it while riding on the highway. Noise is also present while engine is cold & in neutral.

After I checked the exhaust system and everything looked fine I spoke to a buddy and he pointed me in the direction of the cam chain tensioner, that maybe it had gotten bad. I think it's either that or the valves have gotten very out of spec. But after looking at @eenewsook posts above I'm concerned it might be a bigger thing - the sound of our two engines seems to be very similar.

I'm not sure what my approach should be. I'm thinking to replace the cam chain tensioner ($20 OEM part it seems), see if the noise goes away. I've got two left hands but I think I should be able to manage 😛 Does this seem reasonable or are there some further troubleshooting steps I should do? Perhaps I should try adjusting the tensioner first as described here?

EDIT way later:
I finally got around to ordering & replacing the tensioner. I pulled it out and it was immediately obvious that it needed to be replaced. As Duke200 describes here, the cam chain tensioner is a "on-off" tensioner. With a flathead screwdriver you can actually turn the tensioner clockwise and it will retract/become shorter until a point where it "locks" and you cannot turn it clockwise any further. At that point, you can remove your screwdriver and it will stay in this locked position. If you have it at this "locked" position and then turn counter-clockwise slightly, you will feel the spring tension in your screwdriver. If you remove the screwdriver at this point, the spring will cause the tensioner to expand fully. Of course if it is not installed in anything, the spring will cause it to extend all the way out. When it is installed and you perform this procedure, you can actually hear a faint tap as the tensioner head pushes/snaps against the cam chain guide.

The faulty tensioner that I pulled from my bike did not have this spring functionality at all anymore. It simply stayed put at the retracted position. I could still adjust it with a screwdriver, but it did not adjust itself.

I swapped it with a new OEM unit ($20 part) and upon firing up the engine it became immediately obvious that this was the issue for the engine noise - the noise was completely gone and now the engine sounds just like it should!

·
Registered
110 Posts
The missing metal pieces have been recovered. I pinched the arm back together for a look, and it seems there was a lot of wear before it finally gave out. I'm starting to think the spark plug electrode was an unrelated incident.

@mrwastelander, the pic you sent is a valuable clue, it looks like the same failure mode, as in, systemic problem that needs attention. Like you said... is this shoddy metal or what? If you don't mind me posting a marked-up pic from you:

My failure was on the exhaust port, yours was the input port.

If anyone else here has had similar failure, I would be very interested to know. TY!

·
Registered
10 Posts
@eenewsook sure you can use the pictures my friend. I digged this problem more in my country and around the world, i saw same problem happening on both KTM and Husqvarna bikes, including cross bikes. All i can say is this is a problem or sickness of this bikes especially on 390s, their cams and cam followers are dying, worn, made bad. I used this bike soooo nice, i treated her like a princess haha, but i had this problem, my intake cam and cam follower was worn sooo bad. A big plus, i send an e-mail to KTM and local distrubutor contacted me BUT: all they could do is offering a change of my 2015 model bike with a 2020 model.. of course buying mine to a dead price... so i am sure this was my last ktm.

·
Registered
10 Posts
@eenewsook also my friend i am thinking: your spark plug can not effect the cam follower and camshaft. Because as far as i know, that broken small metal piece can not go up to the camshafts from inside the cylinder. İt must be stick on the piston or cylinder or blown out from the exhaust.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Wear on cam and followers would typically be a lubrication failure. Common causes include revving the bike hard when cold, oil level getting too low, oil pump failure and using silicone to seal the rocker cover after valve check.

·
Registered
10 Posts
@Mirius yes, you are right. Putting way tooo much silicon gasket on the valve cover gasket was also what did “authorized service” do to my bike. When i get the oil out of the engine, there was gasket particles in it. I told this to ktm and that bad service they both say there are 3 filters on that bike and bla bla bla. They can’t even think about that particles could clogged the oil nozzles on the camshaft bridge/holder because they are at the same place.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Any silicone is too much silicone - it’s a well known cause of engine destruction, there is no too much or just enough. Screens and filters don’t help when the silicone particles block the oil feeds in the head before they reach the filters. When this happens with a fast spinning part like the cam then wear follows very quickly. If your dealer uses silicone then find a new dealer.

An engine gasket sealant such as Threebond breaks up in oil and so doesn’t block the oil passages.

·
Registered
10 Posts
@Mirius yeah i will never go to them again. i found the service manual and i will do everything to my bike as long as i own it. But it is so sad to have an “authorized” service or distributor this much bad in my country.

·
Registered
53 Posts
an experienced ktm engine service employee can pin the problem easily,also other services like yamaha,honda... for me i would consider as a metal clicking cause your bike has only 3k miles.valves loosen starting from first 20k kms and the cam tensioner from first 30k kms.thus i would assume either you dropped your bike or some lazy metal got loosen.still it would be an engine failure...the bottomline is if you find an engine pro he can find the problem quick.cheers

·
Registered
21 Posts
I got a rattling noise for years, especially when engine was very hot. I checked everything nothing was loose. One day I found that the rattling was coming from the little plate from the stock exhaust muffler.

Sent from my ASUS_X00HD using Tapatalk
Any idea how did the plate loosen? Did you hit a pothole?

·
Registered
21 Posts

Was it something similar to this, at the beginning?

I'm yet to take it to the service station. They've called me in on Monday.

·
Registered
1 Posts
hello brother i have ktm rc 200 2016 model and 38000 kms done .... i am getting some weird noice from left side of the engine ... also getting the sound in neutral i need help what can be the issue .... i gave my bike to near ktm dealer and they said they try to find the problem.... i dont no what to do if they cant find the problem ... please help me...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Take it somewhere else.. sounds like those guys are not very good.. perhaps valves.. but if it has got wore periodically then my attention would be on the cam chain tensioner.. I changed my to a manual one as when the automatic ones go.. they go in a big way.. Hope that helps..
Hi Jiri, where did you get the manual adjuster?
Can't find it here in Australia.
Cheers Todd

21 - 40 of 40 Posts