KTM Duke 390 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, just received my new pre reg 2017 390 duke and when I've looked over the bike the engine oil is low, not even up to the minimum fill line! Has anybody else had this issue with their new bikes and if so have you asked the garage to send out oil or just filled it up yourself. Bit annoyed that they haven't even bothered filling the thing up properly.
Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
98 Posts
Be sure if you're measuring it correctly as it is written in the manual, if it's still low just go to the KTM service for a refill or do it yourself (I belive its mineral oil on the break in period)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply, is this common for a motorbike engine then to check it this way? I would of thought with the engine being warm the oil level isn't going to increase on the viewing window?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
682 Posts
is this common for a motorbike engine then to check it this way?
It is with newer bikes. In fact, the method for the duke is quite simple compared to my BMW F800 which involves running the bike at idle until the fan comes on, switching off, waiting 1 minute then reading the oil level on the dipstick (but don't screw it in... just sit it on the shoulder of the engine case).

Reactions: geordiejoker

·
Registered
2018 KTM DUKE 390/1980 DUCATI 900SS MHR/2016 YAMAHA MT-125/1953 BSA DBD34 GOLDSTAR
15 Posts
It’s quite straight forward that when the bike is hot and has moved the oil around the moving parts it’s designed to lubricate and expanded to be seen thru the viewing glass. Never check oil level on any bike without first getting it too working temp. It’s not unusual to NOT be able to view the correct level until this procedure is done, and one mistake lots and lots of people make is make sure the bike is on level ground and horizontal, how many times I’ve seen people think holding it is a way to do this is amazing, you will not be and it makes a difference. I would also add that the bike has several ways of telling you that your oil level may be low without even looking, thru the dash as oil low/pressure/temperature are all indications of low oil, and as such should always be heeded if shown.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts