KTM Duke 390 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

I'm new to this forum and I have a duke 390 bought last Dec 2013. I'm getting it service/change oil tomorrow since my cousin forgot to take it to the dealer for the 1000km servicing schedule. Anyway, I'm having a bit of a problem on the fuse box, specifically the main realy contact + ECu fuse. It blew the first time a couple of weeks ago and it blew earlier today. I changed already and I think it will blow again. Any tips and suggestions on what's causing this to happen? I also notice that the engine gets hot so fast and the temp. gauge is almost at maximum level.

I also lost the cover for the tail light above the rear mud guard. Do you think this is the cost of the fuse blowing up? Thanks in advance for all your help!

Ricky

·
Registered
817 Posts
Could be Ricky but probably not, if its blowing ECU fuses theres something wrong in the main connection points/wiring loom. Id begin by checking the whole wiring harness, check that the connections are fitting correctly and no wire has been rubbing on the frame and worn through. Also make sure that if you have added or modified anything to the wiring that its correct, the bike has a lot of return loops for power even when the bike shuts down.

The easiest way to get it sorted is while its in for the service ask KTM to look at the fault codes, it should be under warranty if you havent gone further than 1200 to 1500km. If its past that then they are going to fight any warranty repairs because they can.
Let us know how it turns out as Im interested in knowing whats the problem, and welcome to the forum ;)

·
Registered
519 Posts
what dan said.

checking the wires is a good place to start. follow them and see if any of them are pinched or loose

when all else fails

just bring it to the dealer

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Awesome guys! I think it's still under warranty but the bike passed the 1500km mark. Anyway I will have it serviced tomorrow and I will let you guys know what's the issue. Thank you for all the info!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey Guys, my duke 390 is now fixed, but I forgot to ask the mechanic why the fuse keeps blowing up since I wasn't there when the bike was delivered. Anyway, I'm a little paranoid now because I just used my bike while it was raining. After the ride there was some kind of burnt odor coming from the bike. But it's still driving okay when I was using it. Any thoughts on this one? I know that it's okay to use the bike while it's raining but I'm a little paranoid about the smell. Thanks again!

·
Registered
817 Posts
Oil on the pipes from their hands, maybe some grease. Or could be that they sprayed the engine with something like WD40 when they finished repairing the bike. Unless it starts smoking, squirting or lights blinking then I wouldnt be to concerned, as always keep an eye on it but it will probably go away.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey Dan,

I think the smell came from the exhaust. is it possible it smelled like that because it was newly changed oil? Also, the fuse (15Amp) blew again. So what I did is put in a 20amp fuse and the bike runs fine for now. Do you think that's a good idea? Thanks again!

·
Registered
817 Posts
Yeah could be anything, if its gone away it means it was just oil somewhere. I wouldnt advise oversizing your fuses. They are at that partticular amperage for a reason, by oversizing your just allowing more bad load on the parts its connected to. The fuses are blowing for some reason so its safe to say its going to happen again,so next time you may be replacing more than the fuse.

·
Registered
573 Posts
any blown fuse from a stock bike should send it back to your dealer ... this seems a major issue on the electrical area.

·
Registered
532 Posts
a larger fuse is merely a stop gap issue. I'm with dan, its like bandaging a bullet hole (ok exaggerated but the metaphor works ;)) Are you running any aftermarket electrical? tapped in for a tune/powertronics perhaps?

·
Registered
817 Posts
Theres a link in here somewhere for the manual on google drive, the schematic is about 6 pages so its easier for you to download the lot. Maybe someone remembers where that is?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Found link, thanks for that. Diagrams are easy to read, cool. Does anyone know what the spare plugs are for under pillion seat.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hey Guys, Sorry for the very late replies. As you all know I'm located in the Philippines. There are a lot of other KTM owners who has problems with the Main Relay+ECU fuse blowing up. It happened to me again a couple of days ago after a month without it blowing up. After the Bike died down, I replaced the fuse after 5 mins. When I started the bike again after a few seconds it blew again. One other thing I notice is that when the bike is running earlier. Around the 3rd gear or 4th gear, the bike powers down for a bit then it comes back up. The dealer can't figure out what's going on, it maybe on the fuel pump or problems on the ECU mapping. Help from you guys is very much appreciated. Thanks again!

·
Registered
25 Posts
wilkee9999.
Most likely to be one of the wiring connection plugs. KTM 990 Superdukes were notorious for the large connectors to the ECU getting crudded up. Check the connection blocks thoroughly, look for dis-coloured wiring connections. Clean up with a glass fibre pen or equivalent tool that can access the problem area. When clean, pack the connector with Dielectic grease. (Electrical silicone grease) Link below.
Electrical System Maintenance : Permatex® Dielectric Tune-Up Grease
Also check all the earth (ground) connections.
Good luck.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Tell em to check your lean sensor and stand sensor, its possibly the lean sensor. Had a person in Russia check theirs out as it kept dying on him and turned out it was this.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts