KTM Duke 390 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My suspension is due for servicing/swap soon as its been running for 45,000km already on the stock ones. I am surprised it is still working at the moment (Maybe not as efficient)
So I have been on the search for monoshock upgrades, while I'm at it. The problem is that I cant seem to find a definitive answer or that the newer gen (2017- onwards) are not as well documented as the older Dukes.

Maybe those that have done the upgrades or know of the options can share with me some insights.

My profile: I have recently started to do track, so I am also starting to look at upgrades that is able to be customised to my riding style and especially body size. I weigh a hefty 90kg with no gear, so i will take it as 100KG with gear. Occasionally having a pillion which weighs 70KG. Would like to get the spring rate right this time round. My machine is also being used for commuting, so I have to keep it street legal and minimal DIY modifications to fit the bike.

Possible monoshock upgrades that I found so far:
1) Ohlins - KT301 or KT303 - Does these fit into the newer Dukes? I know they work well for older Dukes and RCs.
2) Ohlins - KT 801 - Whats the difference between these and the KT 301/303?
3) Ohlins - BM 735 - Saw another forumer managed to fit these in the newer Dukes. Not too sure if its a perfect fit, have not asked him yet. To me seems like a "better" option than the KT303 if I'm looking for it to be neat, no need to find a mounting spot for the canister.
4) Modified R6 Shocks - From what I read, will not fit the new dukes unless I decat my exhaust (Which is not an option at the moment due to local regulations)
5) Nitron - NTR R2 Shock - A few forumers mentioned this. Temped to get this just because of the very customisable options availiable on the website, allowing you to pick your body weight, purpose of use (track/street), pillion use... etc etc.
6) YSS - G Racing/Sport? - I don't have much info.
7) Wilburs - I don't have much info.
8) M-Shock - I don't have much info.
9) Racingbros - Shicane HLR Edge - I don't have much info.
10) Bitubo (Added by KTMasean)
11) K-Tech (Added by KTMasean)
12) And afew others.... if I recall them I will add it in the list.

·
Administrator
2,613 Posts
I run an Öhlins KT301 on my first Gen Duke and no idea if these will fir second-Gen Dukes.
To confuse you more you might also consider K-Tech and Bitubo.
A ride here in Laos had fitted 3 of his CRF250L's with YSS shocks, all 3 broke within a 3 months period, got these replaced by 3 new ones from YSS, 2x started leaking (badly) within the next 6 months and 1x plainly broke off.
No YSS on anything I will ever ride.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I run an Öhlins KT301 on my first Gen Duke and no idea if these will fir second-Gen Dukes.
To confuse you more you might also consider K-Tech and Bitubo.
A ride here in Laos had fitted 3 of his CRF250L's with YSS shocks, all 3 broke within a 3 months period, got these replaced by 3 new ones from YSS, 2x started leaking (badly) within the next 6 months and 1x plainly broke off.
No YSS on anything I will ever ride.
I'll be honest, when I wrote down "YSS" in the list, I actually wanted to comment "Dont really trust the quality" due to hear says from other riders and also from my personal experience of a used bike i bought which came with YSS. I noticed after 1 month of use that the monoshock is busted. Seal came off at the bottom, and leaking visible. Brought it to a workshop and they told me that the YSS quality is questionable and alot of fakes out there to even bother considering them if youre looking for something that lasts or for something that is for serious track use.

But then again I did not want to take into account my bad experience with that used bike installed with YSS because after all, that bike was not taken care of properly from the previous owner. So did not want to have an opinion with YSS shocks yet.

Anyways back to topic, Ive heard of Bitubo. But not K-Tech. Thanks for the info, will add them to the list.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Have you looked into measuring the WP-Apex suspension parts that come on the 390 Adventure, if I remember correctly?

I think it's either fully adjustable, or close to that, and is definitely better than what the baby Dukes have. I'd personally look into that.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I weight approx. 100kg ready to race & have only a handful of times thought that maybe I would have like a little more compliance from the rear shock & I ride the **** off it every day, I guess it won't be like that at 45000km though.
I'd be curious to hear of anyone having a better experience with an Ohlin for example, unless you race the 390 the other point is a more comfortable ride.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I weight approx. 100kg ready to race & have only a handful of times thought that maybe I would have like a little more compliance from the rear shock & I ride the **** off it every day, I guess it won't be like that at 45000km though.
I'd be curious to hear of anyone having a better experience with an Ohlin for example, unless you race the 390 the other point is a more comfortable ride.
Is your current monoshock the stock one that comes with the bike?

Have you looked into measuring the WP-Apex suspension parts that come on the 390 Adventure, if I remember correctly?

I think it's either fully adjustable, or close to that, and is definitely better than what the baby Dukes have. I'd personally look into that.
Interesting, I'll look into that. Not sure how it's suitable for the Dukes body, my only assumption is that it is longer. Something I can read up more.

·
Registered
55 Posts
My suspension is due for servicing/swap soon as its been running for 45,000km already on the stock ones. I am surprised it is still working at the moment (Maybe not as efficient)
So I have been on the search for monoshock upgrades, while I'm at it. The problem is that I cant seem to find a definitive answer or that the newer gen (2017- onwards) are not as well documented as the older Dukes.
View attachment 53158

Maybe those that have done the upgrades or know of the options can share with me some insights.

My profile: I have recently started to do track, so I am also starting to look at upgrades that is able to be customised to my riding style and especially body size. I weigh a hefty 90kg with no gear, so i will take it as 100KG with gear. Occasionally having a pillion which weighs 70KG. Would like to get the spring rate right this time round. My machine is also being used for commuting, so I have to keep it street legal and minimal DIY modifications to fit the bike.

Possible monoshock upgrades that I found so far:
1) Ohlins - KT301 or KT303 - Does these fit into the newer Dukes? I know they work well for older Dukes and RCs.
2) Ohlins - KT 801 - Whats the difference between these and the KT 301/303?
3) Ohlins - BM 735 - Saw another forumer managed to fit these in the newer Dukes. Not too sure if its a perfect fit, have not asked him yet. To me seems like a "better" option than the KT303 if I'm looking for it to be neat, no need to find a mounting spot for the canister.
4) Modified R6 Shocks - From what I read, will not fit the new dukes unless I decat my exhaust (Which is not an option at the moment due to local regulations)
5) Nitron - NTR R2 Shock - A few forumers mentioned this. Temped to get this just because of the very customisable options availiable on the website, allowing you to pick your body weight, purpose of use (track/street), pillion use... etc etc.
6) YSS - G Racing/Sport? - I don't have much info.
7) Wilburs - I don't have much info.
8) M-Shock - I don't have much info.
9) Racingbros - Shicane HLR Edge - I don't have much info.
10) Bitubo (Added by KTMasean)
11) K-Tech (Added by KTMasean)
12) And afew others.... if I recall them I will add it in the list.
I have put YSS fully adjustable one at the rear.. terrific

·
Registered
490 Posts
I run a 2007 R1 fully adjustable shock on my 16 and couldn't be happier with the transformation on ride quality. Had to grind a bit of the swingarm where the shock's lower adjuster is to get it to fit on the bottom, and a couple washers on either side to center it, but no extra hardware or bushings (R1 shock are 10mm vs the R6 shock's 12mm) were necessary other than the washers. Think I only paid $50 for the R1 shock, so even if I found it necessary to change the spring, I would still have a reliable fully adjustable rear shock for under $200. Cannot say for certain if it will fit the 17+, but I do not see why it wouldn't unless the exhaust pre silencer was in the way. I have changed to a LeoVince cat mid pipe on mine, so that was not an issue for me.

·
Administrator
2,613 Posts
I'm genuinely happy to hear some good news on a YSS shock.
How long has it been on your bike (how many km)?
The riding conditions in India will be somewhat like here in Laos (outside the cities).
What model of shock do you have? (I think they offer about 4 or 5 different configurations from YSS)

I have put YSS fully adjustable one at the rear.. terrific

·
Registered
55 Posts
I'm genuinely happy to hear some good news on a YSS shock.
How long has it been on your bike (how many km)?
The riding conditions in India will be somewhat like here in Laos (outside the cities).
What model of shock do you have? (I think they offer about 4 or 5 different configurations from YSS)
I have done 5000km and its been a great ride all through. Yes, the roads must be like Laos.. very good National Highways and very bad city roads!!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Can anyone please confirm if the YSS shock for the 2017+ model 390 can also be fitted on to the 390 Adventure? I am not sure if both the 390 duke and the 390 ADV have the same mounting points. Any help here would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Huge difference from the tree rides i took it on. My front end was a pogo stick before and it sits higher as well as rides completely different now. The confidence just on the test run from suspension shop was unbelievable. I was racing the instructors at pocono track with older crappy setup. Very excited for next track season. If yoy have the cash and do track days. It will make all the difference once yoy have hit your peak and needs the final bump.
Tire Plant Wheel Sky Automotive tire

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Automotive lighting Hood

1 - 17 of 17 Posts