KTM Duke 390 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, recently purchased a 2013 Duke 390. The aftermarket monoshock installed by previous owner is dead. I have many questions

1. What are the good value shocks still available these days?

2. Will the Ohlins KT801 fit? I can't seem to find a reasonable source for the KT303 here

3. Will there be a noticeable difference in handling and suspension travel between Ohlins monotube (KT301) vs remote reservoir (KT303, KT801) seeing as how these bikes are so light?

4. Does anyone have experience with the Matris M46KD? Are they any good? Can get them for around USD300 M46KD - Matris Dampers

Thanks!

·
Administrator
2,247 Posts
Many options, have a look at Nitron. Running 1 on my 200 (very happy) and a KT301 on my 390. Mupo is another interesting choice as is K-tech. Travel on the Öhlins 301/303 is the same @ 300mm.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Many options, have a look at Nitron. Running 1 on my 200 (very happy) and a KT301 on my 390. Mupo is another interesting choice as is K-tech. Travel on the Öhlins 301/303 is the same @ 300mm.
Do you prefer the KT301 or Nitrons? With shipping and tax, the Nitron R1, and Mupo GT1 will end up to be more pricey than the KT301 here in Malaysia, I think.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks lots. Will look out for the Nitrons here and do more research. Love the blue.

One of the shops here recommended a Thailand 'Ohlins'. Says it performs great on track and he has had one on his duke for over 4 years now without problems. Selling for USD150 haha

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What about using Yamaha R6 shocks? How do they compare to a new shock say by nitron or ohlins or any other good manufacturer?

Anyone have them here in Malaysia? Where can i get the correct springs and bushings?

Thought about buying the kit directly to Formula 390 but he did not reply to my email

Thanks

·
Registered
312 Posts
What about using Yamaha R6 shocks? How do they compare to a new shock say by nitron or ohlins or any other good manufacturer?

Anyone have them here in Malaysia? Where can i get the correct springs and bushings?

Thought about buying the kit directly to Formula 390 but he did not reply to my email

Thanks
I have a 2007 R1 rear shock on my 16 Duke. 1000X better that the stocker and weighs half as much. + it's fully adjustable and only cost me $50 off ebay. Had to grind down the swingarm mount on one side of the swingarm for the lower adjuster on the shock to have clearance. No need for reducers also, since the R1 shock has a 10mm bottom mounting hole already, only needed a couple washers to get it centered properly.
Vehicle Car Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Oh, i am about 160lbs without gear. Might be able to get away with it for a while. Got a used R6 shock (not sure about condition) for USD80 with shipping to Malaysia to play with. Understand the spring rate for the 07 R6 and 99-02 R1 shocks are similar. Will update once it arrives.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Oh, i am about 160lbs without gear. Might be able to get away with it for a while. Got a used R6 shock (not sure about condition) for USD80 with shipping to Malaysia to play with. Understand the spring rate for the 07 R6 and 99-02 R1 shocks are similar. Will update once it arrives.
Not an 07 R6 shock right?? If so, it will not work, bottom mount is a clevis type not an eye type mount. Or did you just get the R1/R6 backwards?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts