KTM Duke 390 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Mounting the panniers to the KTM side bag carrier (Part: 93012912044) took a little modifying, but I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. I found the panniers on Walmart.com for $96.48 (each) so I couldn't pass up rolling the dice to see if I could manage to attach them to the stock carrier. The mounting points on the carrier are angular and one of three of the contact points is offset so I used slightly longer bolts, washers, and large rubber grommets to secure the panniers. There's no metal-to-metal contact and the compression holds everything in place securely without rattling. I created a template out of cardboard, traced it to the bags, and drilled 3/8" holes. I put little rubber grommets in the holes to help prevent possible shearing of the metal on the bolts. The previous owner installed a Yoshimura fender eliminator kit so I flipped the rear signal bracket and added a 1/2" nylon spacer behind the license plate holder so the signals would clear the side carrier. I also added the Puig dark smoke windscreen, but other than that the previous owner did everything else you see including the tank/tail bags. The wind was crazy on this ride but the bike did better than expected. The angle of the bags may be creating some downward force?? Not sure, but it handled fine and my mileage was 77.7 mpg (with a de-cat) and some revin'. I love hard bags for their functionality even if it throws the motif and clean lines of a naked sport bike off a bit.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Very cool! And clean install! So, you already had the mounting brackets from a different set?
Thanks! I narrowed the possible brackets down to three and purchased the KTM brackets from an eBay retailer for $229.

The Moose panniers haven't reviewed well, but I see no reason they shouldn't be 5-stars. I had Jesse bags on an old DR and I like these just as much. I prefer the latches and internal organizer on the Moose.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts