KTM Duke 390 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today arrived the goodies allowing me to fit front and rear Brembo calipers on my Duke 390 .
I was able to buy brand-new 100mm front brake caliper , rear caliper and the Brembo MC to go with it . As I have already upgraded my front brake MC to a 17mm Frando with the matching hydraulic clutch MC / slave , I will not need the Brembo MC which is a " plug and play for the 390 as all parts were originally for a Duke 690 .
I will offer the MC up for sale on the forum .

The rear caliper is a straight swap from our stock rear caliper and I managed to fit it in just under an hour .

On Thursday I will take my bike to the specialized center that already fitted my Andreani fork cartridges where they will machine an adapter in CNC to fit the Brembo 100mm caliper onto the 80mm spaced fork ends .

Attachments

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
Congratulations, Yves! Another ground-breaking push forward! You are really catching a serious case of Pioneer-itis!

To be honest, I have been thinking about something similar. However, my current front brake setup works so well at the moment that I wonder how much benefit there would be from fitting a bigger Brembo caliper. I think it could be easily done using an adapter plate, as you are planning. My rear brake is so inconsequential and activates the ABS so quickly that I think, Why bother to upgrade it? But you will undoubtedly have a superb braking setup! Very, very, nice. I look forward to photos and ride report.

I have some other projects in mind....

·
Premium Member
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Congratulations, Yves! Another ground-breaking push forward! You are really catching a serious case of Pioneer-itis!

To be honest, I have been thinking about something similar. However, my current front brake setup works so well at the moment that I wonder how much benefit there would be from fitting a bigger Brembo caliper. I think it could be easily done using an adapter plate, as you are planning. My rear brake is so inconsequential and activates the ABS so quickly that I think, Why bother to upgrade it? But you will undoubtedly have a superb braking setup! Very, very, nice. I look forward to photos and ride report.

I have some other projects in mind....
Hard for me to argue that your current front brake setup is not great .. as you know I have the exact same setup at the moment : Having said that ; would you be interested in having the Radial Roadlok with machined to measure CNC spacers and the actual lock adapted to your setup at an unbeatable price ; Let me know . Yes , I will have to sell mine once I have the 100 mm Brembo caliper fitted I will need to buy the Duke 690 Radial RoadLok version to be able to fit it on that caliper .. another 300 USD down the drain !!

·
Registered
723 Posts
What next I wonder ?

Carbon wheels?

A Turbo ?

Both? :laugh:

·
Registered
72 Posts
What is the adaptor bracket gonna cost you?? I really like this.. as i too think the duke is under braked especially as us the heavy wedterners get on these lottle bikes..lol

·
Premium Member
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What is the adaptor bracket gonna cost you?? I really like this.. as i too think the duke is under braked especially as us the heavy wedterners get on these lottle bikes..lol
Indeed the stock caliper is 80 mm with M8 for the bolts where the Brembo caliper is 100mm with M10 for bolts . So they will machine a CNC adapter piece where the top fixture will go direct onto the fork stem by using a M8 to M10 bushing within the caliper bolt holes and bottom part will be countersunk to allow a shorter M8 with 1,00 mm thread to attach the adapter part onto the fork stem . Pull M10 x 1,25 mm thread directly on the lower part of the adapter to bolt the caliper onto . There is roughly 1,6 mm of adapter thickness , but of course this will only be possible when you fit a 320mm rotor .
Cost ? ... I will know exactly when all that is done . Guess once we have found the right setup it will be easier and cheaper to reproduce these adapters would there be more people interested .

·
Registered
72 Posts
yeah.. i done something similar.. i use a 320mm disck of a ducati monster, a 6 piston r1 caliper and made my own bracket adaptor.. trying to find a M8 in any size in titanium or anything else for that matter was a nightmare.. so i just drilled out the two holes on the for and tapped them out to M10x1.25mm which much more common.. a lot of work tho.. but the girl now stops with a 100kg+ guy sitting on it.. hehe

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Same here , I couldn't source a M8 x 1,00 mm thread long enough to fit my 320 mm disk with stock caliper and Radial Roadlok . No way was I going to drill into my fork ends : Just needed to cut off M8 x 120mm with 1,25 mm thread and pulled 1,00 mm thread on them .

·
Premium Member
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
First impressions with the Brembo rear caliper fitted : Not going to claim there is a huge difference and we should now all run to the KTM dealer to get one : BUT , Yes braking is certainly less aggressive and has more feeling to it . The ABS no longer kicks in as soon you put your feet on the brake pedal .

Last but not least .. it has the Brembo label on it and for that it looks so much better :)

·
Premium Member
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
As arranged I went to the garage to "test position" the Brembo 100 mm caliper . They obtained with ease a position where the brake pads get 100% contact with the disk . All measurements will now be introduced and a CAD made . That will be transmitted to the man that will machine the adapter in CNC .
To obtain a more " authentic " look / setup and avoid having to use bushing to reduce the diameter : they will reduce the thread of stock M10 bolts to m8 x1mm for the upper bolt where the lower will keep the stock M10 x 1,25 mm receptacle thread pulled in the adapter .
They will also have to replace or modify the brake hose as the banjo bolt & nipple position are vertical to the caliper against the lateral intake of our stock BYBRE caliper .
With a bit of luck I should have a Duke 390 with an operational Brembo 100mm front brake caliper .

Attachments

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
Looking good,Yves!

I'm surprised that the distance between the center of the radial mounting receptacles and the rotor centerline apparently seems to be the same on both the Brembo and the ByBre calipers. The Brembo being larger, I thought that distance would be greater, and would have to be accommodated with the adapter plate. But with the two calipers having the same centerline offset, it actually is simpler to bolt the top receptacle directly to the top leg of the fork mount. It would be very cool to have a CNC file for this adapter that could be shared, like the intake lid 3D file Phil (aka Mariner) made available to other members. I'm sure others will be interested in this adaptation. The Brembo caliper is definitely a beautiful showpiece!

·
Premium Member
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
May it have to do with the fact that the Brembo calliper takes 4 brake pads and seem to be positioned in a arch / angle embracing the rotor more than 2x single pads ?
This Brembo 100mm calliper is fitted on stock 690 with their stock 320mm rotors where our 80 mm BYBRE's are used on 280mm ( duke 125/200 ) and Duke 390 300mm rotors alike

·
Premium Member
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Still a couple of things on the list ..
Yoyodyne slipper clutch and a camshaft upgrade is in the works at the moment ; where I thought our good friend Will ( diploman) was dangerous ; the guys at Flow Motion are as bad ..

·
Registered
757 Posts
Today arrived the goodies allowing me to fit front and rear Brembo calipers on my Duke 390 .
I was able to buy brand-new 100mm front brake caliper , rear caliper and the Brembo MC to go with it . As I have already upgraded my front brake MC to a 17mm Frando with the matching hydraulic clutch MC / slave , I will not need the Brembo MC which is a " plug and play for the 390 as all parts were originally for a Duke 690 .
I will offer the MC up for sale on the forum .

The rear caliper is a straight swap from our stock rear caliper and I managed to fit it in just under an hour .

On Thursday I will take my bike to the specialized center that already fitted my Andreani fork cartridges where they will machine an adapter in CNC to fit the Brembo 100mm caliper onto the 80mm spaced fork ends .

Trimapa, waiting for your detailed feedback, especially the rear, how it behaves especially with regards to ABS. What also, I would like to know is the weight of the Brembo calips you've used vis-a-vis the Bybre calipers on a weighing scale, can you post your results, it would be very helpful.

Cheers!
V

·
Premium Member
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Trimapa, waiting for your detailed feedback, especially the rear, how it behaves especially with regards to ABS. What also, I would like to know is the weight of the Brembo calips you've used vis-a-vis the Bybre calipers on a weighing scale, can you post your results, it would be very helpful.

Cheers!
V
Well , I called yesterday to find out what the status was on the adapter for the front brake . I was told they weren't happy with what came out and are revising the drawing . As soon that is done they will adapt the brake hose and I should be good to go .

Regarding the rear brake , I must say that I expected nothing from it and will even go as far as admitting that I only fitted it for " cosmetic reasons " and more so I had the buy the set ( I even have the Brembo front brake MC to go with it ) .
Having said that ; I must say the result is better than expected ; braking is less aggressive and find that where the ABS used to come in as soon you go near the rear brake pedal it no longer does that , I can now progressively apply pressure on rear brake without locking immediately . Internally different structure ? Different piston? Different seals ?

I didn't put the calipers on the scales , but the rear one is besides a couple of details ( retainer clips and rod for the pads ) identical to the stock ByBre : I would expect their weight to be equal or at least very close .

The front calipers being of a different size I'd expect the Brembo 100mm to be a little heavier but doubt of any real significance , but one has to add the CNC adapter's weight on top of that .

Rest assured as soon I have the whole setup fitted , I will report my immediate findings and later the long term results here on the forum .

·
Premium Member
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
This morning I took my bike to the garage for a " fitting " ; The modified adapter had come back from the turner . All well now and it is back off to round off the edges in order to make it in keeping with the caliper itself and stop it from touching the side of the fender / fork protection . The banjo will need some adjustment too . Anodizing the part in black is also on the list . It has taken more time than expected , but surely the end result will be worth while the wait . Keep tuned for the next episode .

1 - 20 of 35 Posts