KTM Duke 390 Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Update on the fitting process :
Yesterday morning I took my bike to the garage and David form Motion flow called me in the evening that the fitting and alignment of the Brembo 100mm caliper is giving him some more trouble than expected . The problem seems to be the onset that is 4mm differs to the stock caliper . Were it not for the ABS disk that was easily remediated with an alteration to the wheel spacers . I understand that he is now having a spacer made that will go behind the brake disk and an alteration to the ABS sensor housing will have to made . Meaning I will not be riding my bike today .. ( which is not a problem as we are having heavy rain storms since yesterday .

·
Premium Member
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
First test drive with the Brembo 100mm front calliper fitted on my 390 . Fenomenal braking power and control . I can not imagine what it will be once the pads have bedded in properly .
Still some adjustments to be made as the the 100mm calliper has a 4mm different offset to our stock 80mm ByBre and therefore a spacer had to be placed behind the brake disk . This however doesn't allow you to fit the ABS disk properly onto the brake disk unless we machine 6 bolts to hold both the spacer , brake disk and the ABS disk . So today I rode without ABS but also without speedo .. no ABS disk .. no speed readout .

Attachments

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
That is a very elegant and powerful front brake, Yves. Congratulations! You and Jiri undoubtedly have the most capable brakes fitted to a 390 Duke to date - But I'm pretty happy with mine, too. The ByBre OEM caliper, I think, is capable of quite good performance if accompanied by good partnering components - HH pads, 320 rotor and a good quality MC. But you now have all of these parts, PLUS the genuine Brembo caliper. Nec plus ultra. The last word.

It appears that this adaptation turned into a bigger project than originally foreseen. I'm a little surprised that your shop did not detect the offset issue on the initial fitting. It did not seem likely to me that the larger Brembo and the ByBre would have the same offset. I would have thought they would catch that issue and plan around it from the beginning. But no matter, when all the spacers are fitted and the ABS is reinstated, you will have a really superb front brake. Well done! Your bike is fantastically modded!

·
Premium Member
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
That is a very elegant and powerful front brake, Yves. Congratulations! You and Jiri undoubtedly have the most capable brakes fitted to a 390 Duke to date - But I'm pretty happy with mine, too. The ByBre OEM caliper, I think, is capable of quite good performance if accompanied by good partnering components - HH pads, 320 rotor and a good quality MC. But you now have all of these parts, PLUS the genuine Brembo caliper. Nec plus ultra. The last word.

It appears that this adaptation turned into a bigger project than originally foreseen. I'm a little surprised that your shop did not detect the offset issue on the initial fitting. It did not seem likely to me that the larger Brembo and the ByBre would have the same offset. I would have thought they would catch that issue and plan around it from the beginning. But no matter, when all the spacers are fitted and the ABS is reinstated, you will have a really superb front brake. Well done! Your bike is fantastically modded!
Thank you for the compliment Will .The workshop did spot the offset but the option was either make the adapter wider which would render it extremely bulky or the would not have been enough material which would compromise solidity / safety . They opted for the spacer and modding of the bolts . It was me that had no time to leave the bike long enough at the time so they could finalise everything in one "sitting " the measurements have all been taken and the bolts will be made this week ... I just could not wait to try the brake . Trust me , it is a HUGE improvement worthwhile the hassle and justifies the cost .... well ...OK you are right that my previous setup ( identical to yours ) was more than sufficient for my riding style .

·
Premium Member
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #25 (Edited)
Yesterday morning I took the bike for a 90Km ride on some winding roads around here and I can say only one thing : Wish I did that conversion earlier ! Diploman and I already made the wise decision to upgrade our brake system with a Frando MC , 320 mm rotor and sintered brake pads which did transform the bike's braking performance . Now this 100mm Brembo front calliper set up is just giving me that overwhelming feeling od security . It just allows you to brake that much later , better and all that with one finger . All this with the stock Brembo pads the calliper came with. The rear Brembo calliper does give me the impression that the braking is less aggressive and hence more controllable : would I go as far in saying that this conversion s a must given the cost ... no . But , let's admit ... it looks good and is in keeping with the front one

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
Yves deserves a lot of credit for being a pioneer and pathfinder with this project. He has quite successfully demonstrated that with creativity, determination, cash and expertise, very good can become great. Bravo, Yves!

·
Premium Member
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
So, you got the ABS wheel and sensor mounted up?
No , not as yet : I was promised that they would make the bolts today and really hope that I can take the bike over to the garage to have the ABS disk fitted . Not extremely bothered not having the ABS but not having a clue what speed we are at is less comfortable especially with speed traps popping up like mushrooms in our area .

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just went through the whole thread of yours. I ride a 2019 duke 390 and I've been wanting to upgrade the braking system myself as I do use 1 finger braking a lot. I already have plans for getting a Brembo RCS 19 MC, but going through the thread made me want to get the calipers as well. Can you please highlight the model of the caliper you are using. I was thinking of getting the M4 monoblock as a pair because I want to do the double disc mod as well using both 320mm front rotors.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Update on the fitting process :
Yesterday morning I took my bike to the garage and David form Motion flow called me in the evening that the fitting and alignment of the Brembo 100mm caliper is giving him some more trouble than expected . The problem seems to be the onset that is 4mm differs to the stock caliper . Were it not for the ABS disk that was easily remediated with an alteration to the wheel spacers . I understand that he is now having a spacer made that will go behind the brake disk and an alteration to the ABS sensor housing will have to made . Meaning I will not be riding my bike today .. ( which is not a problem as we are having heavy rain storms since yesterday .
Hey! So llets say i lll start from today and buying parts and preparing... what do i need? what do i need to know? how mmuch will it cost ? :D

21 - 35 of 35 Posts