KTM Duke 390 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I honestly don't remember checking the chain "strechyness" when I got my used bike so I have no idea what condition it was in when I got it, but when I was cleaning my bike the chain seemed to have too much slack.

I checked and it not only has a lot too much slack, but the "stretchyness" (I obviously don't know the correct term), the distance between 20 links which should be 301.6 is at about 304 on my chain.

I rode the bike about 6000-7000 km since buying it, did the chain stretch this much in my own riding or had the previous owner likely stretched it before me? I don't know if the bike had a new chain installed before it was sold to me.

The KTM parts website lists several chains but none of them say for which bike they are, how do I know what chain I need and which sprockets as they should all be changed together?

Thank you

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I just read online that a motorcycle chain should last 20,000 km, the bike has less than 15,000 kms, shouldn't the chain still be ok even if it was the original?

·
Registered
Duke 390
296 Posts
Some chains aren’t worth the tin-cans they’re recycled from imo…..

I can’t comment directly on the stock 390 item per-se, as I put a quality D.I.D Gold X-ring item on mine as soon as I got it. Some of that for looks, more because I’m well aware and have experience of lower grade / older / worn chains needing regular adjustment through stretching. And you’d think and expect: on a small cubed, budget priced bike - it would come as standard with a somewhat budget chain…..

The amount of regular maintenance and lubrication given to a chain can also accelerate stretching. Goes without saying if there’s no lube to protect it; instead it being covered in an old, gritty ‘grinding paste’ - it will grossly accelerate pin / plate wear: and hence stretch.

Unfortunately once that wear / stretch process starts: there’s no way back. It’s just a process of the rider now having to re-adjust the slack frequently. The chain is toast as they say….

**Standard sprocket sizes are 15/45 front and rear respectively. And standard chain size is 520 pitch and 112 links long. Go for well known brand in O-ring or X-ring; and along with regular lubing using a quality product and you won’t go far wrong 👍

Good luck !

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Some chains aren’t worth the tin-cans they’re recycled from imo…..

I can’t comment directly on the stock 390 item per-se, as I put a quality D.I.D Gold X-ring item on mine as soon as I got it. Some of that for looks, more because I’m well aware and have experience of lower grade / older / worn chains needing regular adjustment through stretching. And you’d think and expect: on a small cubed, budget priced bike - it would come as standard with a somewhat budget chain…..

The amount of regular maintenance and lubrication given to a chain can also accelerate stretching. Goes without saying if there’s no lube to protect it; instead it being covered in an old, gritty ‘grinding paste’ - it will grossly accelerate pin / plate wear: and hence stretch.

Unfortunately once that wear / stretch process starts: there’s no way back. It’s just a process of the rider now having to re-adjust the slack frequently. The chain is toast as they say….

**Standard sprocket sizes are 15/45 front and rear respectively. And standard chain size is 520 pitch and 112 links long. Go for well known brand in O-ring or X-ring; and along with regular lubing using a quality product and you won’t go far wrong 👍

Good luck !
Does the KTM Parts website have quality chains/sprockets or should I order them elsewhere?

I ride a few thousand kms/month so I want something quality and durable.

·
Registered
Duke 390
296 Posts
Does the KTM Parts website have quality chains/sprockets or should I order them elsewhere?

I ride a few thousand kms/month so I want something quality and durable.
Up to you - and tbh I’m not sure where you’re looking ! I bought mine “online” through eBay / Amazon. Gave me a better choice - and was cheaper to boot.

To help you with the specs; the chain I bought is here:

If you do quite a few miles, you might want to consider a Supersprox rear sprocket. About the longest lasting / toughest sprocket money can buy. Again; a link for reference:

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There is a KTM Parts website, would these be good:

Chain: https://shop.ktmparts.ca/powerparts...e-xw-ring-chain-detail.htm?productId=-9947121
Rear sprocket: https://shop.ktmparts.ca/powerparts...h-rear-sprocket-detail.htm?productId=-9947102
Front sprocket: https://shop.ktmparts.ca/ktm-oem-parts-sprocket-14t-detail.htm?productId=-10083319

However you said the standard sizes are 15/45 but for the rear they have 44 or 46 and for the front they only have 14, why wouldn't the KTM website not have the standard size or am I not searching for it right?

Thanks

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Rear Stealth Sprocket: Search for RST-905-45-ORG
View attachment 54612

OEM Front Sprocket 15T: 90833029044
View attachment 54613
I'm not finding those parts on the KTM parts website but there's often a specific way to look for specific parts, you can't just search for the part number I noticed even if they have that part number, it seems like a poorly designed search. I forgot how to find these "unfindable" items on their website. I had the same issue trying to find the oil service kit, searching for it by part number or name says it doesn't exist.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I pulled the OEM front and rear sprockets from the KTM Canada page. The chain you can order the orange Power Parts that you found. Click on links to be directed to the page.
Front Sprocket
View attachment 54616

Rear Sprocket
View attachment 54615
View attachment 54617 View attachment 54618
Thank you, can you tell me how you find these parts on the website as I can never or rarely figure it out.

Isn't the Supersprox one I linked to above a higher quality for the rear one?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I realized the Supersprox I linked to isn't compatible with the 390 Duke, they have another rear sprocket that seems compatible but it's not clear if it's a higher quality than the stock, does anyone know?

Is there anything else I need to order to be able to change the chain and sprockets myself? I think I'll need a sort of chain tool to remove links if necessary. Do I need any special lubricant for the link that you put the o rings on and assemble yourself or do you use regular chain lube?

Any other special tool I may need? I want to get this replaced ASAP as it's well due for replacement.

·
Registered
Duke 390
296 Posts
I realized the Supersprox I linked to isn't compatible with the 390 Duke, they have another rear sprocket that seems compatible but it's not clear if it's a higher quality than the stock, does anyone know?

Is there anything else I need to order to be able to change the chain and sprockets myself? I think I'll need a sort of chain tool to remove links if necessary. Do I need any special lubricant for the link that you put the o rings on and assemble yourself or do you use regular chain lube?

Any other special tool I may need? I want to get this replaced ASAP as it's well due for replacement.
15/45 sprockets and 112 link chain is stock, likely what you currently have and will go right back on. Mark one tooth with white paint, rotate wheel and count if unsure 😐

So if replacing with same; you won’t need a chain tool (If using a split link). If using a rivetted link you will. And either way a grinder or something to cut through old chain to remove.

I know if you buy certain D.I.D chains they usually come with both types of links. And a small sachet of special grease for the spare link….

The miles you do, the small extra cost compared to the effort changing them - I’d get a Supersprox rear if I were you…

Loads on eBay / Amazon / Online; if whatever KTM site you’re using has no stock 👍

·
Administrator
2,324 Posts
KTM will not make their own chain and sprockets.
It is known the first OE chain isn't of the highest quality.
In contrast to most on here I NEVER buy of the 'bays'.
Get a D.I.D., RK, EK chain (in the colour you fancy) and order a SuperSprox Stealth rear and a SuperSprox front sprocket.
If you ride a lot and are not stuck on acceleration, get a 44 or 43 tooth rear SSS to be lower in the rev's for the same speeds you're doing now and safe some petrol in the loooong run.

There is a KTM Parts website, would these be good:

Chain: https://shop.ktmparts.ca/powerparts...e-xw-ring-chain-detail.htm?productId=-9947121
Rear sprocket: https://shop.ktmparts.ca/powerparts...h-rear-sprocket-detail.htm?productId=-9947102
Front sprocket: https://shop.ktmparts.ca/ktm-oem-parts-sprocket-14t-detail.htm?productId=-10083319

However you said the standard sizes are 15/45 but for the rear they have 44 or 46 and for the front they only have 14, why wouldn't the KTM website not have the standard size or am I not searching for it right?

Thanks

Reactions: ccr

·
Registered
2017 KTM DUKE 390
90 Posts
My opinion is that you should not buy the KTM POWER PARTS rear sprocket. When I say POWER PARTS, I'm referring to the orange sprocket in this link:

Why? Because it's an ALUMINUM sprocket which is lighter than a traditional/OEM sprocket which is made from steel. Aluminum is lighter but will wear out much faster than a steel sprocket.

I thought the only "upgrade" you were needing is the chain. In which the KTM POWER PARTS orange chain should fit nicely and look hella cool. Refer to this link:

The STEALTH SPROCKET is a bonus because the orange portion is made of aluminum and the other teeth black portion is steel. So you get the best of both. This is the Supersprox that will fit your 2017 D390:

Bicycle part Gear Rim Auto part Bicycle drivetrain part

So the options I've shown you are,

OEM front and rear sprockets
Aftermarket Supersprox 905-45-ORG
Power Parts Orange Chain

How to find these parts?
  • Go to the KTM main page.
  • Select "OEM PARTS"
Font Screenshot Terrestrial plant Slope Multimedia

- Punch in your Model
Rectangle Font Material property Screenshot Parallel

- Select one of the two depending on what you're looking for. One is for engine components and the other is for the chassis.
Font Rectangle Material property Parallel Circle

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Thanks for all the info.

So I'm going to need a grinder or something like that to remove the original chain? It doesn't have a removable link?

With the orange chain I listed will I need a chain tool?

I'd rather get everything from the KTM parts website as I urgently need a new chain and they are near me and ship very fast.

Is the stock rear sprocket a lot less durable than the supersprox? Is the supersprox not just lighter?

BTW what is a "D.I.D." chain?

Thanks

·
Registered
2017 KTM DUKE 390
90 Posts
Thanks for all the info.

So I'm going to need a grinder or something like that to remove the original chain? It doesn't have a removable link?

I'd rather get everything from the KTM parts website as I urgently need a new chain and they are near me and ship very fast.

Is the stock rear sprocket a lot less durable than the supersprox? Is the supersprox not just lighter?

Thanks
If you want, PM me and we can do a Google meeting and I can walk you through the website along with answering anything I can.

·
Administrator
2,324 Posts
If your KTM dealer is near, by all means check them. The steel sprockets are fine
D.I.D. is a brand name as are RK & EK.
To replace the chain you will indeed need a chain tool.
I just ordered a new 1 from RK costing me just over $100.
As KTM is near, have them do the job.
Won't take over 1 hour.
Have them check the chain guards/slides as well.
If the top 1 is worm the bike will make more noise riding than necessary.
Good luck.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
If your KTM dealer is near, by all means check them. The steel sprockets are fine
D.I.D. is a brand name as are RK & EK.
To replace the chain you will indeed need a chain tool.
I just ordered a new 1 from RK costing me just over $100.
As KTM is near, have them do the job.
Won't take over 1 hour.
Have them check the chain guards/slides as well.
If the top 1 is worm the bike will make more noise riding than necessary.
Good luck.
When I said they are near I mean in terms of delivery, parts I order get to me in 1-2 days I think, but it would be a several hour ride to get there, plus I'm not sure it's a dealer it may just be a parts warehouse where they ship parts from.

BTW are nuts and bolts etc. metric or imperial on the 390 Duke? I needed open ended wrenches for the first time in my life to adjust the chain tension and was assuming for $20 I'd get a full set of metric and imperial. Turns out its $75 for a metric set and $75 for an imperial set, I tried to search online on my phone in the store to see if the 390 was metric or imperial and couldn't find anything so I took a chance with metric and it worked.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Thanks for all the info.

Thanks
D.I.D. is an aftermarket chain.

My $.02, the stock chain is crap! My bike had 2600 miles on it (IIRC) when I got it, the stock chain was already stretched. Still have it on there with over 7000 miles on it now. But it's getting replaced very soon.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts