KTM Duke 390 Forum banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Administrator
2,327 Posts
Anywhere outside of North America is metric and has been for years and for good reason.
The link to the exploded parts list is:
sparepartsfinder.ktm.com
Fill in your VIN # and you can't go wrong.
Link to the RK chain tool:
global.rk.co.jp/products/tools/

When I said they are near I mean in terms of delivery, parts I order get to me in 1-2 days I think, but it would be a several hour ride to get there, plus I'm not sure it's a dealer it may just be a parts warehouse where they ship parts from.

BTW are nuts and bolts etc. metric or imperial on the 390 Duke? I needed open ended wrenches for the first time in my life to adjust the chain tension and was assuming for $20 I'd get a full set of metric and imperial. Turns out its $75 for a metric set and $75 for an imperial set, I tried to search online on my phone in the store to see if the 390 was metric or imperial and couldn't find anything so I took a chance with metric and it worked.

Reactions: ccr

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I finally got my chain and sprokets, for some reason this order took a lot longer to ship.

Is this tool all I need to both remove the old chain and install the new one?

Also, a video on that product page says there's a risk of ruining the master link and to get spares, is that a risk with the clip style link that came with my chain?

Also, does the chain come the correct length or do I need to shorten it?

Are there any risks of breaking anything that I should get a spare of? I don't want to be without a working bike, I ride daily so this chain change is a bit stressful, I never changed my own chain on my bicycle but on my motorcycle I'd rather do it myself unless it's a risky job where I can break something.

·
Administrator
2,327 Posts
It is absolutely not difficult but be precise and take your time.
I use an RK tool (latest) with which you can't do it wrong providing you follow the instructions and double check it is on the chain correctly. As for the length of the chain, I believe OE is 112 links and depending on what new chain brand you're talking about it coeld be either.
My RK chain(s) are 118 so I need to cut out some links.
Good luck!

I finally got my chain and sprokets, for some reason this order took a lot longer to ship.

Is this tool all I need to both remove the old chain and install the new one?

Also, a video on that product page says there's a risk of ruining the master link and to get spares, is that a risk with the clip style link that came with my chain?

Also, does the chain come the correct length or do I need to shorten it?

Are there any risks of breaking anything that I should get a spare of? I don't want to be without a working bike, I ride daily so this chain change is a bit stressful, I never changed my own chain on my bicycle but on my motorcycle I'd rather do it myself unless it's a risky job where I can break something.

Reactions: ccr

·
Registered
2017 KTM DUKE 390
90 Posts
Since you're new to bike maintenance, make sure you reassemble the rear wheel to spec. Ensure your alignment is straight AND you tighten the bolts to using a torque wrench and using loctite anywhere if it's required.

·
Administrator
2,327 Posts
No Locktite required anywhere on the rear or front wheel bolts/nuts and/or chain adjusters!

Since you're new to bike maintenance, make sure you reassemble the rear wheel to spec. Ensure your alignment is straight AND you tighten the bolts to using a torque wrench and using loctite anywhere if it's required.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
It is absolutely not difficult but be precise and take your time.
I use an RK tool (latest) with which you can't do it wrong providing you follow the instructions and double check it is on the chain correctly. As for the length of the chain, I believe OE is 112 links and depending on what new chain brand you're talking about it coeld be either.
My RK chain(s) are 118 so I need to cut out some links.
Good luck!
What's an RK tool? What about the tool I linked to?

Other than the chain tool and rear bike lift do I need any other non standard tools I may need to buy?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Does anyone know if I can use a rivet link from another company as long as it's 520 size with the chain I got from KTM?

I'd rather not have a clip link, did I buy the wrong chain if I want a rivet link?

21 - 31 of 31 Posts