KTM Duke 390 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I bought a new 2021 duke 390 2 months ago and was very excited to read online that 2020 models and beyond come with quickshifter as standard. When I asked my dealer I learned that theres 2 different models and the model they have in stock are the non quickshifter models which was very disappointing :/

I also bought an akrvpovic slip on exhaust from the dealer but apparently it doesn't fit my bike properly as again there are 2 different models. They recommended doing some cutting and welding to make it fit properly.

I have two questions for experts on this forum. Do you know why these two models exist?! and secondly what is the recommendation for aftermarket quickshifter for 2021 models?

·
Registered
977 Posts
It depends on when the bike was actually made. Older bikes can sit on the showroom floor for a while. Sounds like you don’t have the model you thought you were buying. Does the exhaust run under the engine?

·
Registered
407 Posts
Hey guys I bought a new 2021 duke 390 2 months ago and was very excited to read online that 2020 models and beyond come with quickshifter as standard. When I asked my dealer I learned that theres 2 different models and the model they have in stock are the non quickshifter models which was very disappointing :/

I also bought an akrvpovic slip on exhaust from the dealer but apparently it doesn't fit my bike properly as again there are 2 different models. They recommended doing some cutting and welding to make it fit properly.

I have two questions for experts on this forum. Do you know why these two models exist?! and secondly what is the recommendation for aftermarket quickshifter for 2021 models?
How did you not notice this 2 months ago when you were buying the bike? LOL..... You can get a PowerTronic piggyback ECU with a quickshifter, will kill 2 birds with 1 stone. You get the QS you wanted and a better overall running bike.

·
Premium Member
1,117 Posts
Dealer should let you return the exhaust they sold you that doesn't fit your bike.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So its definitely a 2021 model as thats what the possession deed says unless they lied to the authorities and the exhaust goes from the cat converter under the bike for a brief period and then runs on the side of the bike just like all the models after 2017 i assume?

When I first bought it i didn't realize any 390 had OEM Quick-shifters at all but i learned about that feature after reading about the bike in more depth. I saw some threads on reddit that 2021 models that went to the US market also didn't get quick-shifters, I live in the UAE and may be the same thing happened here.

Yeah the dealer didn't make me pay or keep the wrong exhaust but apparently they ordered a big quantity and they said they would do the needed mechanical work and make it fit if i still wanted it since they don't want to lose all the money they spent on them.

I also ordered a bunch of powerparts which are taking forever to reach... i might just look aftermarket parts because working with the dealership has been a pain in the ass, for example i ordered bar end mirrors 2 months ago and it was on backorder and now they said i wont get it any time this year.. Definitely will look for the powertronic ECU/QS thanks for the heads up!

·
Administrator
2,426 Posts
To confirm your year build, go to KTM Spare Parts Finder, fill in your VIN number and this will tell you exactly what year it is.

·
Registered
977 Posts
The BS6 was released as the 2021 model with quickshifter. But sold in India in 2020 without quickshifter. If you are UAE then you may have a 2020 Indian market bike. I think it may show on a label on the right hand side of the bike on the frame behind the tank by the handlebars.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yep just checked its 2021. Not sure what "B.D." stands for or means. Screenshot below. The orange text says EU which i thought are supposed to the models with quick-shifters but who knows what the exact deal is.. Would be useful if someone with quick-shifter bike could share a similar screenshot to see the difference in how they classify the bike.
Wheel Tire Fuel tank Vehicle Motorcycle

Violet Font Magenta Art Rectangle

·
Registered
18 Posts
Bit late to the party but just wanted to add my 2 cents to this for anyone else looking for this information. The 2021 bikes, on the right side of the bike, left bottom of the engine, near the oil glass, you can see a plastic bracket, if this plastic piece is there, it means the bike already has the hardware for the QS built in. The 2021 models that have the hardware (there are some markets that not include the hardware), do not have QS enabled by default, its an option, and your dealer can buy it from KTM and install it for you (its a software update, should only take about 30 mins).
Automotive tire Grey Rim Font Automotive wheel system

·
Registered
25 Posts
My dealer enabled it for free. I don’t think ktm should charge for this, it’s a ripoff, it’s literally enabling it with the diagnostic tool hooked up to a laptop.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts