KTM Duke 390 Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,014 Posts
Interestingly, when I enquired of SW Motech about need for engine case protection, they forwarded to the Canadian distributor, TwistedThrottle.ca, who stated additional engine case protection is not needed with SW Motech crash bars...

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
Do you really want to test this theory to find out for certain?

·
Premium Member
1,014 Posts
It's the bottom edge I'm most concerned about I think, which the KTM case protectors cover but for which I'm hesitant to fork out the cash. The R&G case covers would protect that edge too. I'd have to lower the bike down on it's side to see what might touch down but I don't have the new Motech bars yet...

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
do you still feel the engine cases are exposed?
Hi Andrew,

Sorry for the late response :crying:

I checked he sight lines on my Duke between the axle spools & the SW-MOTECH bars and I feel the cases are quite safe.

·
Premium Member
1,014 Posts
I've noticed that the spacers on the frame bolts are recessed to a different degree on the left and right sides of the bike.

Is this the same for others running this setup?

Attachments

·
Registered
50 Posts
mine was a pain in the ASS to change! I had to take it to the ktm dealership, the guy used an impact wrench and evn that didn't break loose the engine mount through bolt! Just did my ladies yesterday and we were able to break it loose with just the two of us no problem. anyone who is getting the ktm crash cage shoul thread the bolt supplied in the package all the way through the female end BEFORE it's on the bike, both times the threads started to strip when first grabbing, they also both needed to be bent slightly so the through-bolt would line up properly on both sides. TAKE YOUR TIME, I **** near ruined my crash cage's threads the first time.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Got the SW Motech crash bars for my 2020 Duke 390 and had my first drop today on the right side! Saved my bike! The only damage to report is a small scuff on my exhaust and one bent brake lever. The rest of the bike appears unharmed!

Note: I tried to catch the bike as it tipped, so i def slowed the impact. This was a bike drop at a stand still on an uneven road. I tried to put my foot down on the low side and the bike came down as I tried to stop it.

1602480536987.png 1602480568533.png

21 - 27 of 27 Posts