KTM Duke 390 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Last Saturday I trucked the Kalico Kat to Napa so a young riding buddy could ride it with our old bike club. He is a very good rider, just sold his R6. I led on my '56 Velocette, which has been hopped up quite a bit, and although they are certainly the odd couple, we really had a great time up around Lake Berryessa.

Most of the roads on our route were very twisty and bumpy, and Caltrans had ground up random patches of asphalt on one stretch that were a bit worrisome. They were the full lane wide, up to 200 yards long and stretched for ten miles or more. Some were in corners, too. We caught a trio of ADV bikes right away, they were tiptoeing through the gravel so we went on by. As our confidence improved, we went faster and faster on those patches. The "end road work" sign was a welcome sight. By the time we came down 128 toward Napa we were just flying. Blew off a VW Phaeton at one point! Well, he was blocking us. Honestly, it was as fast as I have ever ridden on these roads, maybe any road that tight. It was practically a track day. The 390's front tire was worn to 1/4" from the edge. I rate this in the top five rides I've ever experienced, and I've had quite a few good ones in my 50 years of riding. And I have apparently not slowed down much in my old age.

My friend finished with two comments - once he settled down a bit, he was over the moon about the bike and the ride. Kept talking about it all day. First, he was glad he had not been on his R6 as he could not have done that pace on it. On these roads the little 390 was The Perfect Bike. And he is thinking about replacing his R6 with an RC Cup now...

Pics later.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Man, I thought from the title you blew up a NAPA store, was gonna high-five ya !

I really hope somebody comes out with NICE dual sport tire in the correct size to fit our Duke's. Something like the one Ducati is putting on the Scrambler would be very sweet. I did some playing this weekend on a dirt road but tire grip is marginal to say the least at speed.

Pete

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Man, I thought from the title you blew up a NAPA store, was gonna high-five ya !

I really hope somebody comes out with NICE dual sport tire in the correct size to fit our Duke's. Something like the one Ducati is putting on the Scrambler would be very sweet. I did some playing this weekend on a dirt road but tire grip is marginal to say the least at speed.

Pete
I was thinking the same about the tires. But when we ride our Velocettes on our annual 1000 mile Summer Ride we tend to travel from NAPA to NAPA...as in the auto parts stores. They are everywhere.

·
Registered
840 Posts
The little devil is such a blast that it's the happening motorcycling scene here in India. I think it gives most supersport a bloody good run for the money at half the price, it's not just that, that awesome feel factor, that crazy grin, post ride, that's the essence of this Katoom.

Cheers!
VJ :cool:

·
Premium Member
1,630 Posts
Brings out the teenager in us, that's for sure! Apologies to any teenagers that might be on the forum.

Reactions: GeO

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the props, guys. I totally agree with every comment. I'm in love, and I've only got 275 miles on it...

Should have the crash bars and tank grip film today. Helps that the KTM USA HQ and warehouse is maybe 60 miles from me! Almost makes up for my dealer's so-so service department...at least the parts guys are great.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Nice ride man, my sister used to live in San Fran and I went to visit her and her family along with a swing through Napa. Very cool area.
Surprising how good these bikes are on a longer ride, eh?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.