KTM Duke 390 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought the Duke 390 and I realized that the handlebar is relative wide.
That would be no problem if I wouldn't use the bike a lot in the middle of heavy traffic.
I think about getting a narrower handlebar or maybe just cutting off a little at the end of the existing handlebars.

It seems the original handlebars have some holes i.e. for the throttle and maybe other parts. So if I cut off the ends I have to add new holes.
Did anybody here cut off the handlebars?

How about replacements? Any good suggestions?
I am happy with the riding position so I guess I want a similar shaped handlebar - just narrower.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did you find a solution to this?
I still have the same handlebar. I removed the weights left and right which made already a difference to get between the cars. And removing the weights did not increase the vibrations.

I also changed the mirrors. I bought Doubletake Enduro mirrors. They can be easily adjusted and they are very sturdy.
In the city I put them to the same width as the handlebars and if that is too wide I fold them in - with one hand while riding.
On longer trips I adjust the mirrors to a wider position.
They are not cheap but very good. Doubletake Mirror |

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks for the update. I just bought one and I also find the bars too wide for filtering. Mirrors end to end is almost a meter. I’ll try removing the bar ends first too. I’ve seen that some people have adjusted the angle of the bars for comfort when commuting. Otherwise I’ll look into replacing the bars altogether.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I did try swapping the ends with these but the vibration was noticeable and uncomfortable so I've reverted to the weights for now.

IMG_2081.JPG

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I did try swapping the ends with these but the vibration was noticeable and uncomfortable so I've reverted to the weights for now.

View attachment 51077
When do you notice the vibration most?
I removed the ends almost two years ago on my bike and I didn't notice a difference. I use my bike 99% inside town mostly with lots of traffic.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I noticed it the whole time really. I use it in town/traffic too (40mph tops). At first I thought the engine was running rougher but then realised it was the bars. Much better with the weights back.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts