KTM Duke 390 Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

Super Moderator
Hi James023,

When your radiator is not solidly blocked with dirt the fan will bring down the temperature in no time.
Your bike also has an overtemperature cut-out so leave the bike running idle and see the gauge come back down after the fan cut in.
This will take away 99% of your anxiety on the matter.

On the Lambda probe, (did you give it a clean?) I have no direct idea.
Just get comfortable with the temperature and once insured take her for a ride and see what the MIL does.

What you can do now is the 15-minute re-set procedure (search the forum for guidance.

Have you felt the coolant hoses for temperature change? Are you now convinced the thermostat is working?

@ Elbra; where did he ever say the coolant overflow canister was empty?

Slight update if anyone has any ideas,
Decided to run it up again
The MIL light was on when just ignition (1 long 7 short flashes)
Although went out after 1 minute and didn鈥檛 come back on
Left idleing
Just after 10 minutes it was up to H mark on the temp
Coolant warning came on
The fan came on around the same time
I turned the bike straight of
I also dropped a little oil seems fine no milky colour
This was all without me driving or revving it just idle
Any ideas?
also the MIL light is back on with just the ignition on again 馃槀

Registered
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Morning ktmasean
Thanks again for replying
The MIL light is not on any more since I let her run up, and cleaned the lamda like you said 馃憤
The rad pipes feel warm like the thermostat has opened and it鈥檚 flowing into the rad
Ah so it has a safety cut out if it gets to high?
so I should leave it running let the coolant warning message come on let the fan cut in and see if the temp comes down on its own?
Yeh will be nice to ride it, my insurance starts Saturday and my service kit for the bike should arrive today 馃檪

Registered
Regarding removing the radiator cap - yes if you take it off then the reservoir which sits higher up just drains onto your shoes. I found out the same way you did :)
Once you are moving the cooling system should cope just fine.
Let us know how you get on.

Super Moderator
I'd like to disagree AndyB,

I hardly ever wear shoes and when I do I don't work on my bike :LOL:

Regarding removing the radiator cap - yes if you take it off then the reservoir which sits higher up just drains onto your shoes. I found out the same way you did :)
Once you are moving the cooling system should cope just fine.
Let us know how you get on.

Super Moderator
Yes James023,

Start your bike (with engine oil in place of course) and have it idle.
When the orange warning light comes on and the message 'high temperature' let it run.
The fan comes on (as said around 94C and will cut out again at around 85C).
There is a safety cut out to prevent the engine from running too hot.
You can keep the engine running for the fan to do a second session without any problem.

Happy the O2 MIL is off now.

Morning ktmasean
Thanks again for replying
The MIL light is not on any more since I let her run up, and cleaned the lamda like you said 馃憤
The rad pipes feel warm like the thermostat has opened and it鈥檚 flowing into the rad
Ah so it has a safety cut out if it gets to high?
so I should leave it running let the coolant warning message come on let the fan cut in and see if the temp comes down on its own?
Yeh will be nice to ride it, my insurance starts Saturday and my service kit for the bike should arrive today 馃檪

Registered
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Thank you again for your help it鈥檚 been much appreciated 馃檪
When I get home I鈥檒l let it idle and wait for the coolant warning to come on and let it run and see if it comes back down like you said , maybe this hole time I鈥檝e been over thinking a issue that鈥檚 no there perhaps 馃
Will be so much better come Saturday when I can ride it 馃槂

Registered
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Morning all,
Sorry the the late reply couple of personal issues came up so haven鈥檛 had time to get on the bike
But of a update tho
Bike is all insured and serviced now so I鈥檓 able to ride it now (what a lovely bike she is to 馃檪)
First ride took her out for around 40 minutes no high temperature warning dash showed temp 2 bars from top did go 1 bar once tho
Second ride was more of a stop start ride and noticed the warning came on when suck at a traffic light once move in hit turned off and didn鈥檛 come in again 馃様
Now I鈥檝e noticed the all the while I鈥檓 moving the temperature is fine but once I sit at a traffic light for a few minutes it heats up and I get the warning again
Little bit worrying don鈥檛 want to damage the bike
Any extra ideas?

Super Moderator
When @ a traffic light and the high temp comes up, does the fan kick in?
If not you're okay, if yes, it will bring down the temp so the warning goes out.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Morning masean
Thank you again for the reply
Yes the fan kicks in when stuck in traffic
When in traffic not moving the coolant warning comes on, the gauge goes up to full then the fan kicks in and it will go back down to one under the H and the warning goes out
All the time I鈥檓 actually ridding I鈥檝e never seen the warning come up and the temp gauge is fine
Just if I get stuck at a traffic light I get the warning come up, but the fan kicks on and it does go out so 馃し鈥嶁檪锔

21 - 29 of 29 Posts