KTM Duke 390 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2020 White KTM Duke 390
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
--Context-- I recently had a (very) low speed accident on a wet bumpy dirt road that put my (sadly stock) bike in the shop for rather important repairs, I have decided to outfit it with a few things that would make my stupid off-roading decisions safer and more fun. What I have currently lined up to be installed are bar risers, smaller front sprocket and a pair of Pirelli scorpion rally str's.

Like the title obviously suggest I'd like to replace the footpegs too, with wider more grippier ones because an unexpected slip while standing is not ideal for obvious reasons and the stock ones seem to think otherwise.

Any (low budget preferably) suggestions for footpegs and or other off-roading accessories would be much appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
1,946 Posts
Welcome MitchyMoto, to the forum,

I can definitely recommend the STR's except in mud (as were my MT60's)
As far as (off-road) footpegs go, I have tried a few from other bikes that, although they fitted, were all leaning forward too much making for an unpleasant ride standing up as this points your riding boots/shoes downward.
I still need to come across a peg that will be horizontal when fitted.
I have not been able to try the 390 Adventure pegs yet, perhaps these will fit the bill.
For off-roading, I'd suggest making a lightweight bash plate as the OEM cowl won't last too long.
If using the OEM cowl mounting point and brackets the baseplate needs to be as light as possible as the mounting brackets will tear on heavier plates.
If you're into making stuff yourselves try your hand on a kevlar plate.
Several layers of kevlar matting, bound together by raisin just as you would with glass fibre.
These are strong and protect the engine from rocks flying off of your STR's.
My first bash plate was made from 3 mm thick aluminium and the front bracket broke off after a while simply riding on tarmac, due to the vibration, I guess.

·
Registered
2020 White KTM Duke 390
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome MitchyMoto, to the forum,

I can definitely recommend the STR's except in mud (as were my MT60's)
As far as (off-road) footpegs go, I have tried a few from other bikes that, although they fitted, were all leaning forward too much making for an unpleasant ride standing up as this points your riding boots/shoes downward.
I still need to come across a peg that will be horizontal when fitted.
I have not been able to try the 390 Adventure pegs yet, perhaps these will fit the bill.
For off-roading, I'd suggest making a lightweight bash plate as the OEM cowl won't last too long.
If using the OEM cowl mounting point and brackets the baseplate needs to be as light as possible as the mounting brackets will tear on heavier plates.
If you're into making stuff yourselves try your hand on a kevlar plate.
Several layers of kevlar matting, bound together by raisin just as you would with glass fibre.
These are strong and protect the engine from rocks flying off of your STR's.
My first bash plate was made from 3 mm thick aluminium and the front bracket broke off after a while simply riding on tarmac, due to the vibration, I guess.
I'll definitely have to have a look into the adventure 390 pegs.
And yes a proper bash plate would be a VERY smart choice, especially where I live with there being pot holes, gravel roads and fun bumpy trails every second turn.
I'll talk to a mate of mine who is quite the crafty type and see if he can make one for me.

·
Super Moderator
1,946 Posts
I have ordered a set of Adv. pegs will arrive mid-Dec.
I have been told these should be fairly horizontal but will only fold up 75% of the OEM pegs.
I can live with that if they are nicely horizontal and give a better grip.
The rubber inserts I did not order as I don't think I'll need the extra vibration damping.
Ordered for € 21.00 each.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts