KTM Duke 390 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2013 KTM Duke 390
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have been taking apart parts of the bike to inspect and I have spotted this oddity inside the water pump cover.

The cover seems to have some marks? which seem like the impeller has been rubbing on the cover. But then again, I checked the parts catalog and there is a ring around where the rubbing marks exist suggesting its as per design?

I also noticed a crack on the housing where the T pipe bolts on. I'll probably replace the cover to be safe but I'm worried if the impeller has a problem. The bike isnt overheating, coolant/oil aren't mixing and generally there is no apparent problems whatsoever with the cooling circuit as of now.

·
Registered
2013 KTM Duke 390
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It certainly looks like it has been rubbing. Is the nut loose? I saw on some other forum post that the nut can come loose.
Nut is tight, There is barely any axial play, I'd say its in the order of few microns. Should I just get a new impeller wheel with the new cover?

Could also be a bearing issue, can you move the pump shaft left to right a bit?
Its tight as well, there is no N-S or E-W play

·
Registered
2013 KTM Duke 390
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I visited my local KTM service center and consulted the experts on my issue. They said the wear pattern on the cover looked normal, those scoring marks might have been caused by some stray contaminant, like a grain or sand or something. The marks on the old cover aren't deep, I can barely feel them with my fingernails.

I found their argument convincing and left with just a new water pump cover. Will leave the impeller alone since there is no play or leak from it.

New cover behind and old one in front :

·
Registered
2013 KTM Duke 390
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Must be nice to just run to the dealer and get parts that day rather than wait 2 months for it to arrive.... LOL
Haha I guess I got lucky, this part apparently was sitting on the shelf since over a year now. However the finish inside was...bad? all the edges had bad spurs. I took a file and took them all out before putting it on the bike.

I happened to spot a damaged radiator hose, from the T pipe to thermostat. Thankfully the new part was also in stock and got it immediately

The folks at the service center also gave me a seized up and dead 2nd gen radiator fan. Will somehow transplant the shroud to my perfectly working 1st gen fan

·
Administrator
2,536 Posts
The waiting depends more on your countries main impotreur for the KTM/Bajaj parts as I found out in Thailand after the impotreur changed.
Before it would take months (as you say) but with the new import (providing the parts are in stock in India or Austria) are is within 2 weeks (mostly).

Must be nice to just run to the dealer and get parts that day rather than wait 2 months for it to arrive.... LOL

·
Administrator
2,536 Posts
There is a reason the shrouded fan no longer functions
The fan is working much harder to move the air as there is nothing but restriction from the shroud.
I replaced my OE fan (and shroud) by an Italian SPAL fan, less noise, more efficient. Still blows the hot are against my legs during city riding and traffic lights stops but I can cope with that the 10 days a year I'm doing that 😄

Haha I guess I got lucky, this part apparently was sitting on the shelf since over a year now. However the finish inside was...bad? all the edges had bad spurs. I took a file and took them all out before putting it on the bike.

I happened to spot a damaged radiator hose, from the T pipe to thermostat. Thankfully the new part was also in stock and got it immediately

The folks at the service center also gave me a seized up and dead 2nd gen radiator fan. Will somehow transplant the shroud to my perfectly working 1st gen fan

·
Registered
875 Posts
Or perhaps if can be as simple as aluminum corrosion and or pitting. An impeller grazing is highly unlikely, given there is any axial or radial play. Radial play is worse than axial play. Radial play on a given shaft is kept to a minimum unless it's a bearing that's designed to have play i.e. journal bearing. I would recommend you to replace the water pump cover, impeller and make sure the coolant is replaced completely with fresh coolant and bled well. The radiator does and can accumulate a lot of powdered gunk, settled and this is flushed out only if the system is bled well. But if you've replaced the cover and everything holding up fine, then I'd suggest let's leave it as it is.

Good luck.

·
Registered
2013 KTM Duke 390
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
There was no corrosion in the old water pump cover, as evident in the pictures, plus the 2+ year old coolant was crystal clear when drained. The radiator and the expansion bottle insides have been given a deep clean, the bike is now together and running better than before.

There is a difference in the counter sink profile between the old pump cover and new, plus there were lot of burrs left behind on the edges of machined surfaces. They were all cleaned up before re assembly.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts