KTM Duke 390 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone so Ive got a gen 1 engine to go into my gen 2 bike I can't use the gear position sensor so I have to trick the bike into thinking it's always in neutral, what color is the neutral wire and in theory if I grounded it to the frame it'll trick the bike into thinking it's in neutral, many thanks. Gavin

·
Registered
342 Posts
Not to be a killjoy... but...

The Gen2 gear position sensor is a logic-based hall effect sensor that has to be programmed to the Engine Control Unit; it reports only to the ECU, via only 3 wires, then the ECU tells everyone else via comms what gear you are in.

By contrast, the pre-2017 Gen 1s used the multi-contact switch GPI you are referring to (and will not work with the Gen 2 electronics), it is the type that simply switches 1 of 7 separate inputs to ground.
In the case of the Gen 1, it shared the Neutral high/low state, on a single wire, simultaneously with the ECU, Start Ok Unit and Combi Unit -- in other words, you COULD lie to a Gen1 about Neutral position by grounding that one lead (but not a Gen2). Additionally, on the Gen1 system, the gears 1-6 reported only to the Combi Unit, via separate/distinct wires and simple high/low states.

Wow, I think I need to go wash my shorts.

[staying subscribed, however, in case somebody actually coffs up a workaround?]

Rectangle Slope Font Parallel Pattern

Rectangle Slope Font Line Parallel

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

The Gen2 gear position sensor is a logic-based hall effect sensor that has to be programmed to the Engine Control Unit; it reports only to the ECU, via only 3 wires, then the ECU tells everyone else via comms what gear you are in.

By contrast, the pre-2017 Gen 1s used the multi-contact switch GPI you are referring to (and will not work with the Gen 2 electronics), it is the type that simply switches 1 of 7 separate inputs to ground.
In the case of the Gen 1, it shared the Neutral high/low state, on a single wire, simultaneously with the ECU, Start Ok Unit and Combi Unit -- in other words, you COULD lie to a Gen1 about Neutral position by grounding that one lead (but not a Gen2). Additionally, on the Gen1 system, the gears 1-6 reported only to the Combi Unit, via separate/distinct wires and simple high/low states.

View attachment 55658

View attachment 55660
Thank you mate wish I asked sooner 😂 been in the garage all week scratching my head trying to get my head round why it won't work. I've just ordered a 2016 loom/ECU hopefully everything else is just plug and

View attachment 55658

View attachment 55660
Thank you mate, wish I asked sooner.
I've been in the garage all week scratching my head trying to get it to work lol 😂
I've just ordered a 2016 loom and ECU so hopefully everything is now just plug n play

·
Registered
342 Posts
Annnnd... now I needta throwaway my shoo-zazz-well.

Wholly acknowledging you don't seem to be all too worried about (a drastic purgative)...

Rather than replacing the entire harness, an effort that only produces all kinds of (new and newer) concerns/problems -- like why don't the lights, and Combi and all manners of CAN-nucopia work now --
why not just buy a Gen 2 sensor and mount it external to the engine...
then position it in the neutral position, as indicated by your combi unit. It IS, afterall, a much less severe option.

It's also a lot less expensive, on the experimental edge of things as they stand. Way less than a) sending the engine back and buying the right one... or b) attempting and perhaps failing to convert the wrong one into the right one, meaning, via disassembly and transplant of Gen2 internals to a Gen1 case.
see my point?

·
Registered
342 Posts
I wrote that last response because I went back and found your previous post, the one that acknowledged the shift drum as a known issue.

But it appears noone has yet informed you the Gen2 is a CAN-bus vehicle the 2016 harness and ECU will NOT support...

Somebody chime in and back me up on this.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I wrote that last response because I went back and found your previous post, the one that acknowledged the shift drum as a known issue.

But it appears noone has yet informed you the Gen2 is a CAN-bus vehicle the 2016 harness and ECU will NOT support...

Somebody chime in and back me up on this.
If I'm honest I didn't think of that , thank you I will give it a go

·
Registered
342 Posts
Yeah -- I mean well...

but sometimes, when i start throwing too many words together on the keyboard...

well -- I sorta lose sight of what it might look like on the other side of the monitor.

thanks for getting back to me that you saw this, i was actually/already over at the neighbors house, crossing their fingers and toes for you, also.

you shoulda seen the look on their faces; they have no idea wth is going on; they were trying to relax and watch a show.

👀!?!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah -- I mean well...

but sometimes, when i start throwing too many words together on the keyboard...

well -- I sorta lose sight of what it might look like on the other side of the monitor.

thanks for getting back to me that you saw this, i was actually/already over at the neighbors house, crossing their fingers and toes for you, also.

you shoulda seen the look on their faces; they have no idea wth is going on; they were trying to relax and watch a show.

👀!?!
Your honesty a legend mate done it and it worked perfectly!!!!
Honestly a life saver

1 - 10 of 10 Posts