KTM Duke 390 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi, I just got my 2020 3 days ago. It's a cool bike. I'm used to big bikes so this bike feels kind of small for me... However, there is a whirring/ light grinding noise coming from the front wheel area. I might just be overthinking it and I know I have yo break it in but it's concerning. Anyone have any ideas as to what it can be? I hear the noise while I'm rolling and it stops as I apply the brakes. It's not loud but I do hear it. Just want to know if I should be taking it back to the dealer. Thanks in advance!

Update

So it turns out the noise is still there when the bike is off as I roll it. So definitely a caliper/ brake/ wheel issue... Going to try hitting the front brake hard a few times, if that doesn't work, I'll be calling the dealer. Thank you everyone for your advice!

·
Super Moderator
1,692 Posts
Welcome NYC390,

Sounds as it is the brake pads not clearing the disk fully.
How many km have you done so far?
Try doing a couple of hard, hard front braking and see if this improves.
Also, the brake pads need to bed in when new, this takes some time.

·
Registered
801 Posts
lt could be faulty manufacturing, unlikely but you should check it.

Get someone to lift the bike on the side stand so the front wheel is off the ground and spin the wheel to see if it's making any noise.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Welcome NYC390,

Sounds as it is the brake pads not clearing the disk fully.
How many km have you done so far?
Try doing a couple of hard, hard front braking and see if this improves.
Also, the brake pads need to bed in when new, this takes some time.
Thank you! I've only done maybe 40 miles on it. Now sure how many km that is. I know some stuff has to "break- in." I was just nervouse about it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
lt could be faulty manufacturing, unlikely but you should check it.

Get someone to lift the bike on the side stand so the front wheel is off the ground and spin the wheel to see if it's making any noise.
Thank you! I'm always worried about faulty manufacturing, as is always my luck! I'm going to lift the wheel today and check.

·
Registered
616 Posts
I would bet that is the brake pad lightly rubbing on the rotor. I would recommend that you go back by the dealer and discuss it with them since it's so new.

·
Registered
801 Posts
lf it's just that, it is likely to clear up after you've used the front brake a few times.
Spinning the wheel should identify the cause of the noise. Hopefully it's the brake pads needing to bed in and you'll be fine.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts