KTM Duke 390 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
What are you going to do with the extra $15,000? Lol...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Congratulations! That's quite the diet from a 1290 to a 390, enjoy!

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk
Yeah, but, I have a feeling I'm going to fall off the wagon soon.... ;)

What are you going to do with the extra $15,000? Lol...

Probably buy a 1290 Duke. I'll just have to wait for them to go on sale. :D

Good for you!!!

It appears you had an interest in the 390 long ago though
Yes. I actually had every intention to buy a 790 but the dealership I was buying it from kept jerking me around. I was a bit on the fence about the 790 anyway. I went to another dealer to look at a 1290 and when I got there they had 2 390's sitting by the door and the more my son talked about it, the more I wanted one. I've always liked light, lower displacement bikes and when the dealership made me an offer I couldn't refuse, I pounced on it. I figured if I decided later that I didn't like it, I could just give it to the kids. My son asked me today if I had buyers remorse and I told him "no, not one bit". This bike is a hoot, they'll have to buy their own.

>:D

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Ok, after a few days of riding here are my thoughts;
The front brake needs help.... bad. Mushy with vague feedback. Time to raid the parts bin.
Throttle needs new tube, ratio sux.
Foot pegs gotta go... not a fan of rubber pads. New ones on the way.
Headlight: Two big thumbs up! Just wish I could toggle high beam with my thumb in curves, don't like taking my finger off clutch.
Speaking of clutch... junk perch and lever have to go. They look (and feel) like they came off a cheap moped. I'm sure I have something more fitting of this bike in the for-mentioned parts bin.

Handling is almost telepathic... personalizing this bike will be worth every penny. :D

·
Registered
25 Posts
What pegs did you go with? What do you mean by throttle needs a new tube? And....we need to see a pic of the bike.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What pegs did you go with? What do you mean by throttle needs a new tube? And....we need to see a pic of the bike.

Bought some pegs off ebay.They were cheap but they will fill the bill. Plus, they're very similer to the pegs on my old track bikes.

Tube needs a faster ratio.

Maybe I can toss up a few pics tomorrow. Nothing special so fra, still looks stock except for all the missing stickers.

Pegs:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ooops... nevermind. Forgot these were ride by wire. Looks like I'll have more to do to get it more lively at smaller throttle settings.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I put EBC double H pads on my bike straight away. Still bedding in but I only use one finger to stop.

I hope those pegs were cheap. They look it!!! The KTM PowerParts pegs are what I am going to choose. Only 50$ full retail.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I put EBC double H pads on my bike straight away. Still bedding in but I only use one finger to stop.

I hope those pegs were cheap. They look it!!! The KTM PowerParts pegs are what I am going to choose. Only 50$ full retail.
Actually, they aren't as cheap looking in person. They look as nice as the last kit pegs I had on my R1 (and nicer than the KTM pegs imho). Plus, you can rotate them for preference. I rode a 1290 with the KTM pegs and they were ok, but for the $$ these are fine..... so far. I won't feel as bad when I scrape them either.
Here are the EBC replacement parts available for the smaller Dukes.
If I can help with a EBC part code # let me know
Obviously these are the Thai EBC Import selling prices.
Thanks! I'll give those a shot. I does feel like the pads are a big part of the problem. At first I though the dealer hosed down the disc with cleaner. 😮
I will probably end up putting a radial MC on it, but I searched through my parts and my spares are all too big. I haven't had time to really look at the caliper. I'm hoping the pads/MC will give me joy. I'm pretty fussy about control "feel".

·
Registered
894 Posts
Well, here is the one I use.
New bikes should have their rotors cleaned (doesn't always happen).
EBC Sintered HH pads are great and also take less than 200k's to bed in.
Good luck

Attachments

·
Registered
894 Posts
Calliper seems fine to me for road use.
If you like to stick out of the crowd and improve the calliper (a bit) this might work for you.
You can also order a service set with both the MC and Calliper

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Well, here is the one I use.
New bikes should have their rotors cleaned (doesn't always happen).
EBC Sintered HH pads are great and also take less than 200k's to bed in.
Good luck
I saw those, they look promising, a bit cheaper also. I normally use oem take-offs because it's easier to get levers (and they're usually cheap) but I'll probably spring for one of these in black.
I fitted Duke 1290 mirrors on my 390 and l think they look a lot better than the nasty rubber covered standard ones
Already priced them with my dealer, if I don't go with bar ends, it will get these. KTM should put them on all their bikes and bin those rubber monstrosities.
Calliper seems fine to me for road use.
If you like to stick out of the crowd and improve the calliper (a bit) this might work for you.
You can also order a service set with both the MC and Calliper
Cool. Good 80mm calipers are like unicorn milk. Glad to see there's an option.
I haven't had a chance to look at the stock caliper but, a 4 pot that size should be fine for a bike this size. MC and pads (maybe rotor) should bring joy. If not, I may just de-abs and scrap the whole brake system. Wouldn't be the first time. 😛
I agree tho, brakes (and tires) should be spotless when it rolls out of the dealership.

·
Registered
211 Posts
When I removed the pads, front and rear, it appeared the stock front pads are sintered and the rears looked to be more of an organic type.

You must really have gotten a dud because I believe I could lock the front wheel with just one finger IF it I didnt have full time ABS.

I would like to say that I feel that this little 390 has the best gearbox I have ever had in a motorcycle. I have 105 miles as of this mornings’ ride, and I have never missed a shift from first to second gear. The shifts have just the right amount of ‘notchy’ Feel to them. I am really liking it.

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
You must really have gotten a dud because I believe I could lock the front wheel with just one finger IF it I didnt have full time ABS.

I would like to say that I feel that this little 390 has the best gearbox I have ever had in a motorcycle. I have 105 miles as of this mornings’ ride, and I have never missed a shift from first to second gear. The shifts have just the right amount of ‘notchy’ Feel to them. I am really liking it.
Could be, I was surprised the first time I stopped. I fully expected it to be a bit closer to my SMR and a bit farther fom my chop. Like I said, my first suspicion was contaminated pads. I've heard the brakes could be improved a bit but, if they were all like this the net would be on fire with bad press.
No complaints about the gearbox from me. I've missed a few up shifts in the upper ratios but it's probably from being lazy, and not being familiar the bike yet. Plus, those pegs....
More spirited, deliberate riding style= no problems.
So far this little bike is punching well above it's price point. Sure, it needs a bit of "personalization" (for me anyways), but I like working on bikes and getting them to fit me. If the 1290 was sitting in my garage in it's place, it would be getting the same scrutiny (along with a growing pile of take-off parts). If there is someting on a bike that I don't like, even a little, it won't last very long. 😛

1 - 20 of 27 Posts