KTM Duke 390 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone gone through the process of replacing the plates in their slipper clutch? My 2016 clutch slips at high rpm now, so I believe it is time.

My main question is whether anyone has gone with an aftermarket company like EBC rather than going with OEM parts? Thanks

·
Super Moderator
1,156 Posts
Changing the friction plates with EBC of my 2012, Duke 200 at the moment.
Got EBC brake pads on the 200 as well as on my 390 (2015) and both were an improvement.
The EBC springs (that I will also change for the EBC set claim to be 15% stiffer as well.
Not done yet as I am waiting on a castle nut tool to take the assembly off.
Will report back ones done (hope next week).
From EBC there are various materials available, I got the cork standard plates.
It is advisable to also replace the springs, b.t.w.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Changing the friction plates with EBC of my 2012, Duke 200 at the moment.
Got EBC brake pads on the 200 as well as on my 390 (2015) and both were an improvement.
The EBC springs (that I will also change for the EBC set claim to be 15% stiffer as well.
Not done yet as I am waiting on a castle nut tool to take the assembly off.
Will report back ones done (hope next week).
From EBC there are various materials available, I got the cork standard plates.
It is advisable to also replace the springs, b.t.w.
I appreciate the response and I will wait for your review on the friction plates/springs since the weather is still freezing where I am. Do you think I would benefit from going with the aramid fiber plates rather than the cork plates on the 390? Considering the bike is so light and not super powerful I'm not sure which to go with.

·
Super Moderator
1,156 Posts
The supplier in Thailand I bought the EBC plates from is more or less a friend and he advised me, seeing the riding I do which is nothing extreme such as track days and such, to go with the standard friction material.
An important thing I forgot to mention is to soak the friction plates in the oil you will be running your bike on for at least 4 hours.
My riding conditions here are from relative cold 10C to pretty hot 42C, I ride all year round and about 70/30 tarmac/dust roads.
I am running Motorex 100% synthetic 15-W50 on the 200 and Ipone full synthetic 10-W60 in the 390
Check if the friction material works well with the oil you plan to use as some friction material works less good with full synthetic oils.

I appreciate the response and I will wait for your review on the friction plates/springs since the weather is still freezing where I am. Do you think I would benefit from going with the aramid fiber plates rather than the cork plates on the 390? Considering the bike is so light and not super powerful I'm not sure which to go with.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The supplier in Thailand I bought the EBC plates from is more or less a friend and he advised me, seeing the riding I do which is nothing extreme such as track days and such, to go with the standard friction material.
An important thing I forgot to mention is to soak the friction plates in the oil you will be running your bike on for at least 4 hours.
My riding conditions here are from relative cold 10C to pretty hot 42C, I ride all year round and about 70/30 tarmac/dust roads.
I am running Motorex 100% synthetic 15-W50 on the 200 and Ipone full synthetic 10-W60 in the 390
Check if the friction material works well with the oil you plan to use as some friction material works less good with full synthetic oils.
Did you do the install yourself? I am picking up the kevlar racing clutch kit with plates, springs, etc. but EBC doesn't make the tool for the basket. Do you know which tool I need to get? Thanks

·
Registered
553 Posts
Did you do the install yourself? I am picking up the kevlar racing clutch kit with plates, springs, etc. but EBC doesn't make the tool for the basket. Do you know which tool I need to get? Thanks
Which tool? I did mine at my house... But I didn't use any special tools or anything.

·
Super Moderator
1,156 Posts
I am awaiting the castle nut socket, expecting it to arrive today.
The shop I ordered it from says a Honda tool will fit.
If it does, I shall share the part number here.
Yes, I do all myself.

·
Super Moderator
1,156 Posts
Sorry for the long silence.
Finally got the castle nut off, Honda castle nut socket (20mm) and impact (air) tool after confirmation that it is a left-handed nut.
Once the nut was off, it basically is easy sailing.
Pay attention to the sequence the plates, rings etc come off and mount the new friction plates in the reverse order.
Again, important is to soak the new plates in the engine oil you will use in your bike.
(mine have been soaking for 2 - 3 months ha ha ha)
Besides the friction plates, I also renewed the stator (on the other side) as 1 set of windings was burned and I hope this will also solve the issue I had with the speedometer dropping out.
Will report back after test riding as soon as I have the chance here in the forest.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts