KTM Duke 390 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All.

I just place a deposit down for the little beast but it only be available till mid February. My last bike was a CBR 250 ABS so I've got big expectations from the Duke coming from a really good bike.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Had to look up where Bogota actually is. Capital city of Colombia. Must be exciting.

Do people drive bikes a lot there or is it still more of a car culture?

Welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
whats the KTM scene like in Bogota?
How about the overall bike scene?
KTM is not a major player in Colombia. Instead, Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki and Bajaj are the ones ruling the playground. Most bikes are small displacement (<200cc or below) so anything above or equal to a quarter litre are big leagues down here.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Had to look up where Bogota actually is. Capital city of Colombia. Must be exciting.

Do people drive bikes a lot there or is it still more of a car culture?

Welcome to the forum!
Thanks for the warm welcome. Ten years ago only pizza delivery guys ride motorbikes in Bogota. Nowadays, with the severe car restrictions and the hectic traffic you´ll find a bike in one of every four families, so you get to see lots of bikes on the streets. The say by 2015 motorbikes will be as twice as many as cars.

A great thing about riding a bike in Bogota is that we don't have winter and thus we can ride all year long and it also doesn't get either very cold or very hot. (10 - 20 celsius).

This a footage from a daily conmute I shot with my former bike so you can see what it's like to ride a Bike in Bogota.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nuxzOzHb8dU

·
Registered
179 Posts
I always thought that Colombia was hotter than that. It is crazy that it stays that temperate all year round though. Its crazy that there is such an explosion of bikes in Colombia right now.

What are these vehicle regulations?

Are KTMs popular there? I find them pretty rare up in Canada and in the US.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Hi All.

I just place a deposit down for the little beast but it only be available till mid February. My last bike was a CBR 250 ABS so I've got big expectations from the Duke coming from a really good bike.
Welcome to the forum!

Well at least its not that long of a wait for your 390 :p

·
Registered
533 Posts
KTM is not a major player in Colombia. Instead, Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki and Bajaj are the ones ruling the playground. Most bikes are small displacement (<200cc or below) so anything above or equal to a quarter litre are big leagues down here.
well KTM is owned by Bajaj now so I'd expect to see the KTM scene pick up quite a bit!

Welcome aboard and congrats on the order.

It feckin seems like the last place in the world to get the 390 Duke is going to be NA, GAHHHHHH so envious.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I always thought that Colombia was hotter than that. It is crazy that it stays that temperate all year round though. Its crazy that there is such an explosion of bikes in Colombia right now.

What are these vehicle regulations?

Are KTMs popular there? I find them pretty rare up in Canada and in the US.
The rest of Colombia is warmer. Bogota's weather has to do with the altitude over the sea level (2600 meters over the sea level).

500.000 bikes are sold in Colombia every year, yes it's crazy!!!

The regulation is pretty simple and it is related to your number plate. If you have an odd number you can't use your car in odd dates and it can be used at even dates. Then I use my bike twice or three times a week.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
well KTM is owned by Bajaj now so I'd expect to see the KTM scene pick up quite a bit!

Welcome aboard and congrats on the order.

It feckin seems like the last place in the world to get the 390 Duke is going to be NA, GAHHHHHH so envious.
Well, I'm looking forward to see it on sale in USA. That way we'll see lots of OEM and aftermarket stuff on ebay :D

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
After two months of unbearable waiting I got the bike last week. Unfortunately, it came defective as the throttle response over 4000 rpm dies. :( it's frustrating to say the least. Now, it's under warranty inspections. Too bad!!!!

·
Registered
817 Posts
Sorry to hear that Bender, this $hit should'nt be happening at this late stage. Hopefully KTM are listening to their customers issues lately regarding quality.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Sorry to hear that Bender, this $hit should'nt be happening at this late stage. Hopefully KTM are listening to their customers issues lately regarding quality.
For all we know they might be lurking this forum but not taking part in the discussions going on. im sure it's happening.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
After two weeks they don't even know what´s going on. I've already filed a claim for either a new bike or my money back. If they return the money ......not sure....may I wait for the CB500X to be released in my country? I've owned two hondas and I've never had an issue, never ever. I know this is the wrong forum to ask this but please share your honest thoughts.

·
Registered
4 Posts

Bajaj in Colombia! im feeling proud!

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I finally got the bike after one month in the SC. Just 11 kms from there to home and nothing wrong so far.
Just a little disappointed with the time it took to fix it and with the fact it had 52 kms on the odometer when I got it yesterday. It was supposed to be brand new if you know what I mean.
If it keeps working I'll install an aluminum top case over the weekend and I'll post some pictures.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts