KTM Duke 390 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I bought my 390 new and had the dealer fit Oxford Heated Grips. The pillion seat does not lock, which when I pointed this out they said it will take time to wear the rubbers in, and on a ride eariler I noticed the rear light/brake light was dead. Took it home, pillion seat off and the light then came on next time I turned the key but it worries me that it could just fail - anyone else had rear light/seat lock issues, will the warranty be invalid as the dealer wired in the heated grips do you think? Dealer isn't local, 150 miles away.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Pillion seat is hard to lock. I had the same issue, I learned from someone else to make sure it sits properly then punch it down with your fist instead of trying to push it.
It works every time.
As far as the rear light, the wires run right under the latch of the pillion seat. I wouldn't be surprised if the attempt to force the seat either partially disconnected or pinched a wire.
I would start with that.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Pillion seat is hard to lock. I had the same issue, I learned from someone else to make sure it sits properly then punch it down with your fist instead of trying to push it.
It works every time.
As far as the rear light, the wires run right under the latch of the pillion seat. I wouldn't be surprised if the attempt to force the seat either partially disconnected or pinched a wire.
I would start with that.
Thanks buddy, have given up trying to lock the seat, will get a pillion seat cover instead. Light seems okay now, probably a pinched wire as you say but not good on a brand new bike to ride 30 miles without a working brake/rear light.

·
Super Moderator
1,430 Posts
I'm genuinely horrified of so many horror dealer stories in the west.
The incompetence and above all unwillingness to provide service is beyond me.
The pillion issue should not occur at all as this must be checked before handing the bike to the customer.
Are these mostly dealers that also support other brands (that they might prefer)?
Although we have issues of mechanics never using torque wrenches and have the tendency to over fasten bolts and nuts the willingness to serve is always there.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all, did as Craig suggested and the seat now locks. Tight squeeze in there witht he toolkit in and extra wiring for the heated grips (which work poorly compared to the same ones on my Yamaha XSR700)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hi guys,

I bought my 390 new and had the dealer fit Oxford Heated Grips. The pillion seat does not lock, which when I pointed this out they said it will take time to wear the rubbers in, and on a ride eariler I noticed the rear light/brake light was dead. Took it home, pillion seat off and the light then came on next time I turned the key but it worries me that it could just fail - anyone else had rear light/seat lock issues, will the warranty be invalid as the dealer wired in the heated grips do you think? Dealer isn't local, 150 miles away.
about the seat lock thing. I have the same problem... you know what I do. I just use the keys on the lock and unlock it again and then push it in easily...

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hi guys,

I still have the same problem bro i just punch the **** out of the seat and it locks lol, ill talk to them about it when i take it in for the 600 mile service

1 - 9 of 9 Posts