KTM Duke 390 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all,

I did try to search around to see if this question was already answered and didn't seem to uncover anything specifically about what I'm curious about. I have a 2019 Duke 390. Which is actually my very first motorcycle! I can not get it into my local service shop until June 1st and I'm wanting to get some riding in the mean time. I'm at 589mi and I'm wondering what is the level of caution/seriousness I should be taking to NOT EXCEED 600 miles on the bike until getting that first tune up? As I understand it (from a limited newbie perspective) if the engine has a good amount of oil and running well, it wouldn't hurt to ride an additional 30-40mi past 600mi prior to taking it into the shop. Thank you in advance for all helpful responses!

·
Super Moderator
1,036 Posts
It would not matter too much if over the manual km's to service.
Please be mindful on the "good amount of oil" do you mean the correct amount or?
Do not overfill the oil, on my 2015 390 the oil stayed at exact same level as I took it out of the dealer when new.
Guess what I am trying to say is if you need to add oil better not overrun the 1,000 km's by too much.
I prefer to service my Duke's before the manual stated intervals.

·
Premium Member
116 Posts
After service and sofware upgrades my bike rode a lot better.

I have a similar issue now with my dealer. I need a service but got no chance of one any time soon.

If this your only means of travel or your only bike I would still ride it but take it easy. If its like mine, a bit off fun for a dry sunday, I would just park it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I just had the first service done on my 2019 Duke 390 and I had about 780 miles on it by the time I got it in. It's not an issue to go over a little bit as long as it's still running good. I just made sure not to rev it up to redline until I had that first service done with new oil in the engine.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Welcome to the group.

30-40 miles shouldn't matter much. It honestly won't hurt the engine at all, but the biggest concern is not to go so far over that KTM will hold it against you on the warranty if it's needed.

·
Registered
55 Posts
It won't be a problem. But when I was breaking in mine I did the first change after just 200km. The second one after 1000. And every 3500km after. After the first change the filter was full of metal shavings.

·
Registered
317 Posts
+1!!!
my first oil/filter/screen change was at 200 miles. Found a couple pieces of swarf as well as foreign matter. Second oil/filter/screen change was at 640 miles. No metal but only foreign matter that was different than what was found the first time. Struck me as some sort of gasket material (light green color).
currently on my third oil change at 750 miles

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just to follow up, I brought the bike in with 768 miles on it. Nothing irregular was found by the bike tech. From what I can tell they did a very thorough job. My concern was they might try using a different oil, but did everything by the book with the Motorex 15w-50. Thanks again to all the input from everyone! On another note, I got a part from KTM Twins with no instructions, thus I made a video about what to look for when installing this part if you're curious. KTM Twins Brake Master Cylinder Cover.

·
Registered
2 Posts
just curious if any of you guys had valves checked/adjusted on your first service? i have a 2019 duke 390 as well and i'm due for my first service. the dealer was wanting to do the valve check/adjustment but the 2019 manual says that it's not necessary for first service?

thanks, and happy riding!

·
Super Moderator
1,036 Posts
just curious if any of you guys had valves checked/adjusted on your first service? i have a 2019 duke 390 as well and i'm due for my first service. the dealer was wanting to do the valve check/adjustment but the 2019 manual says that it's not necessary for first service?

He dmok89,

If they are a long time KTM dealer/workshop they probably check the valves for a reason.
Look at it this way, it would not do any harm to check them, right.
There also has been an announcement by KTM around that period that increased the tolerances for in- and outlet valves so if it would be me, I would certainly have them checked.

·
Registered
2 Posts
It's weird, I moved away for work recently and the KTM dealer nearby is telling me I need to get these valves checked and adjusted. They're charging me an arm and a leg for it too. When I contacted the dealer I bought my bike from originally, they told me it's not a part of the first service which is consistent with what the bike manual says too. I just don't want to get ripped off.

·
Super Moderator
1,036 Posts
Easy, then tell them you insist on having the service done according to your manual that came with the bike (and not pay for any additional work not stated in the first service).
It is your bike, you're the boss.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
@dmok89 In answering your question, I did not get my valves checked as they (dealership) follow the manual. Just from riding around, meeting other KTM owners/riders the dealership here (Carl's Cycle) does have a good reputation and seems mechanically trust worthy.

·
Registered
639 Posts
There’s been much discussion about valve check at the 600 mile service.

All l can add is, that both my local KTM dealers say it’s no longer necessary to check the valves at the first service.

l also emailed KTM and they replied telling me the valve check was no longer necessary at the 600 mile service due to “improved manufacture”

·
Registered
15 Posts

Sorry, meant to respond to this earlier but I got side tracked. Dealer I went to for first service did not perform a valve check or adjustment. We didn't even discuss it. It's my understanding that starting with the 2019 bikes it's no longer required on the first service.

--JQ

1 - 16 of 16 Posts