KTM Duke 390 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm looking for insight. On duke 390 in traffic low speed manuevers. I live in Thailand and although in my home country a 650 is reasonable bike the 390 feels fairly big. Does it get easier as you get used to it?
I've mostly been getting around on small 110 automatics, but looking for a bike to tour explore more outside city. But city riding is unavoidable.
Haven't purchased yet. Just test rode.

Thanks

·
Registered
407 Posts
Welcome!

If that was the 1st time you rode one, it will definitely get easier. I have owned and raced bikes since the 70's and the 390 is by far my favorite street bike I have ever owned. Very agile, light weight and just enough power (after some mods, LOL).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome!

If that was the 1st time you rode one, it will definitely get easier. I have owned and raced bikes since the 70's and the 390 is by far my favorite street bike I have ever owned. Very agile, light weight and just enough power (after some mods, LOL).
First time I ever rode the duke. ridden many different bikes growing up in mountains, and rode 82 NH cb450, and 2009 er6n 650 for few years.

Thailand roads and traffic spliting extrmely tight. But I'm asuuming I'll get better and more used to bike

·
Registered
23 Posts
The 390 is like a 650. I have a sv650 and my wife has the 390, if she wants to pull away she can, if she wants to drag a knee on turns, she can’t! But it sure is easier to ride and turn than with my heavier bike. As for fun factor, the 390 wins hands down, I can lane split ( legal in my country of California) so easily and I literally feel more confident riding the bike than my sv650.
Obviously your on this forum so we may be biased, but the 390 is the best bike out there for newer riders and anyone who just wants a great bike.
I have the bike without any wind protection, hasn’t been an issue but if your touring involves faster speeds for a long time you may want a “adventure” model.
Let us know how it works out for you!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The 390 is like a 650. I have a sv650 and my wife has the 390, if she wants to pull away she can, if she wants to drag a knee on turns, she can’t! But it sure is easier to ride and turn than with my heavier bike. As for fun factor, the 390 wins hands down, I can lane split ( legal in my country of California) so easily and I literally feel more confident riding the bike than my sv650.
Obviously your on this forum so we may be biased, but the 390 is the best bike out there for newer riders and anyone who just wants a great bike.
I have the bike without any wind protection, hasn’t been an issue but if your touring involves faster speeds for a long time you may want a “adventure” model.
Let us know how it works out for you!
Thanks yeah I was all set to pick up one here. test rode it a few times. Was great. But then when got registration I saw it said 250cc and bike was badged as 390. When I asked seller, he admitted it. But I directly asked him before if it was 390 and he said yes. Such dumb thing to lie about. So I was like what else is he lieing and walked away. Now I'm still on the hunt. Definitly liked the 250 as well even though it was smaller bike.

·
Registered
9 Posts
While I can't say I have a comparison per se as my '22 Duke 390 is my first non-dirtbike.... (rode a cbr600 and mt 03 of friend's as well)

If you can find a bike more suited to carving up city traffic AND canyon passes I demand to know what it is. The Duke 390 is about as nimble a 'sport' bike as you are going to find. Go find time to get one weekend of track lessons and learn to really control it if possible and you WILL reap the rewards. An incredible little machine, truly. I use it as my primary commuter 15 miles each way in city traffic, and my joyrider for the weekends in the Rocky Mountains in Colorado. Obviously wouldn't really tour with it (though tbh if you wanted to you probably could) but Id be hard pressed to find a better use of $5800 ^_^

edit: I actually thought it fair to note that if I had to nitpick a complaint it's that the engine can be a bit 'chuggy/clunky' at low gear/rpm, but you will learn the nuance of the Duke clutch, and it can be easily corrected with aftermarket ECU/flash. In general easy 2 space U-turn in a lot. Removing the mirrors and changing out the clutch lever were HUGE in getting it to feel right in traffic personally. The blind spot from those big OEM mirrors was sketch to me.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
intersting as the mirrors were comented to be ugly by highly functional in older model. So not to be dick and but here in Thailand things are much more practical and the big bike are super ridiculous here. Mostly status symbols. In America I'd say liter bike people have compensation issues, with everything. I am american but just saying so many people diss on little bikes. But to be fair we have a huge country and lots high speed riding.
Anyways So I test rode the mentioned bike again and they had fixed low tire pressure, and this time I had brought my gear so I wasn't in sandals and a bike helmet. So I got to have much more confidence inspiring ride. The bike was pretty awesome, and I have no doubts about low speed handeling, although I didn't notice the chug chug of lower rpm as everyone talks about. I ended up not buying the bike as person selling it tried to pull a fast one. it was badged as a 390. He told me it was a 390 when I asked vis messenger and in person. But registration said 250cc. I also found a number in book on vin was 3 in book and 8 on bike but all the other digits were correct. But this is Thailand so that prolly legit error. Anyways he admitted that it was 250 and just sticker for 390. But I was like what else is he lying about. that such stupid thing to lie about. So I walked away. My gf told me to that used independent car dealers here and essentially chop shops as well. So I'm still looking here. I think 250 would be fine for Thailand and get bit better fuel consumption. But prices are weird here 200, 250 and 390 are all around same price. Also due to danger and roads not ever being freeways, most can expect for speed is maybe 80mph, but most time you'll be going below 60mph.
Thanks for all the advice and input so far.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts